Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers - Trailer

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mysterion, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I miss Mr. Rogers.

2. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not so much the speech patterns, it's how slow Hanks is talking as Rogers. I grew up watching Mr. Rogers, and, admittedly it's been years and years since I've watched it, I remember Mr. Rogers not talking that slow. I could be misremembering, however.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Admiral

Since i'm from Germany i have never seen him in his original run (and i would have been the perfect age for his message since i grew up in the late 70s and 80s) but i'm sure i would have liked and learned from him.

I'll definitely check out the movie because of the trailer ("Don't ruin my childhood" and the subway singing were my favorite moments).

4. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Commodore Commodore

Over the content, the glossy pied piper music designed to wring emotions out of its audience, or both? In terms of content, there's not much there. The muzak was positively thick, like a commercial featuring honey dripping off a dipper. The teaser is nothing more than the usual mawkish and maudlin cookie cutter fare. And it's a bio-pic so creative liberties WILL be taken, though if it turns out none were then I'll go see it. I learned the hard way since "A Beautiful Mind". I'll stick to my memories of the TV show for what they are, for now.

Having said that, they sorta did nail it with the casting. Typecast or not, to be in the casting room watching how many people audition and Tom Hanks was the choice and it's easy to see why despite the cookie cutter faff.

5. Amaris

Amaris Princess of Love Premium Member

The memories tied to Mr. Rogers. It could have been Tom Hanks in the cardigan and shoes, just waving to people while standing in front of a blue background, and I know I would have cried at that, too. For a lot of us, Mr. Rogers talked to our hearts, and he is felt very keenly.

CorporalClegg and Random_Spock like this.
  6. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do too.

Exactly. He was a good person who cared about others.

auntiehill and Amaris like this.
  7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles ZARDU HASSELFRAU Premium Member

I think what Turd Ferguson was getting at is that while Hanks has Rogers' speech pattern down pretty well, there's a touch of the Southern accent Hanks used in Forrest Gump. It's not obvious, but it comes out at least once in the trailer.

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  8. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

Daniel striped tiger is what gets to me.

Amaris likes this.
  9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

My local minor league baseball team brought in Daniel Striped Tiger for a personal appearance last month. Kids were lining up to get their pictures taken with him before the game. So did I. I went to Walgreens the next morning and had the picture printed out 8 x 10, and it hangs on my office wall.

I'm in my mid-forties. After I got my picture taken with him -- and I know it was just a person inside a really hot suit on a muggy July day -- I cried.

10. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

Wait a minute, Daniel Striped Tiger is the size of somebody in a suit? That doesn't seem right. I think of him as a really little guy that gets scared sometimes. I understand the sentiment, though.

By the way, many of us have seen this video from 1968, and of course Fred Rogers was a genius for coming up with a way to approach the subject. But what about the great Betty Aberlin there? Wow, talk about telling a story on ones face. She's reacting to a hand puppet and I've got tears in my eyes...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a suit, like a sports mascot, that does appearances. It's based on the Daniel Tiger television series, and while it doesn't much resemble the puppet version I remember from childhood, the idea was close enough to be personally meaningful.

https://mobile.twitter.com/allyngibson/status/1140298214534520833

J.T.B. and cardinal biggles like this.
  12. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

His more modern appearance for the animated series.

13. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Tom Hanks as Tom Hanks in "America's Heart.":) Jason

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

Captain Kangaroo was who I watched as small child.

Mr. Laser Beam and Serveaux like this.
  15. Serveaux

Serveaux The Man Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions
    Wasn't Daniel an inhabitant of the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, and wasn't Betty Aberlin always referred to in that environment as "Lady Aberlin?"

16. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles ZARDU HASSELFRAU Premium Member

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I had forgotten all of my Mr. Rogers experience by the time by son started watching the Daniel Tiger cartoon... after watching a few, old neurons kicked in and I think my body twitched when I realized the cartoon was a spin off of Mr. Rogers.

I felt so embarrassed not realizing it sooner. lol