TNG: Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Oct 28, 2012.

?

Rate Immortal Coil.

1. Outstanding

30 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Above Average

32 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Thanks so much! I agree with you, personally my favorite Data novel so far, but I have not read Jeff's newest so could be even better!

2. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finally got to this one. Above average read. Was somehow both more and less than I'd expected given the hype/acclaim. I'd sort of imagined it being some kind of generation-spanning "giant novel" type of deal when really it was more of a standard TNG adventure focused on data and tying in pretty much all the AI and android stuff from TOS and TNG. Really solid and satisfying, generally. Now trying to decide whether to jump straight to Cold Equations even though I haven't gotten very far into the post-Nemesis continuity yet.

One thing I would have liked to see . . . I know this is set, what, 3, 3.5 years before "Author, Author" but I'd really have loved to see the hologram rights thing addressed with this kind of care. It's too bad that that thread in the Homecoming novels didn't tie into this concept (unless I'm forgetting something) instead of doing the hologram uprising thing that never really worked for me and I think pretty much got dropped when we switched from Golden to Beyer. Would've seemed a natural fit for that issue to tie more closely to what was happening with Data and other synthetic sentients.

3. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That does come up more in some later novels. Cold Equations and a follow up novel by Jeffrey Lang, and some other of the relaunch novels address some of those issues. So read on ;)

Reanok and mastadge like this.
  4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Light Fantastic By Jeffrey Lang is a good sequel to Immortal Coil and continuing where the first book ended. The Cold Equation novels are really good I highly recommend them.

Damian and Jinn like this.
  5. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would read The Cold Equation novels next, then The Light Fantastic. Cold Equations is a direct sequel to Immortal Coil, then The Light Fantastic picks up from there. I don't remember every detail but I actually thing you could probably read them separate from the other relaunch novels. While relaunch characters appear in both novels and the stories are technically part of the relaunch universe, I think they were written in such a way you could follow them without reading other relaunches and still follow along.

Though as a relaunch fan, overall I'd still recommend reading them all. But if someone were just interested in following up from Immortal Coil, you probably could by itself.

mastadge likes this.
  6. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks. I'll probably jump straight to Cold Equations then. I do intend to continue with all the relaunch stuff (though oof, two books in, the post-Nemesis pre-Destiny books are rough going), but it'll take me a couple years to get to Cold Equations if I follow chronology so I'll probably just bounce there and then bounce back after.

Jinn likes this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I just checked my Goodreads account, and it says I read Immortal Coil back in 2010. It's still one of my absolute favorite Trek book.