Spoilers TNG, DS9, and VOY - Where is a Good Place to Start?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomalak301, Mar 28, 2014.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Why do you think that? TOS's 3 seasons covered the first three years of the 5YM, with TAS adding to the fourth and the novels largely covering 2270.

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The stardate's. Sure the stardate's for the movies don't make sense, but in TOS you have stardate's ranging from 1000.00 to 5999.99 in all 3 seasons.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's incorrect. The only stardate in the 1000s found outside season 1 is 1254.4 for TAS: "The Magicks of Megas-tu." First-season stardates range only from 1312.4 ("Where No Man...") to 3417.3 ("This Side of Paradise"). Second-season stardates range only from 2534.0 ("Patterns of Force") to 4768.3 ("Return to Tomorrow"). Third-season stardates range only from 4372.5 ("Elaan of Troyius") to 5943.7 ("All Our Yesterdays"). Only the animated series has a span of more than 2300 units across the season, although the vast majority of them (15 out of 22) are clustered between 4900 and 5700.

(Not to mention that no TOS stardate ever had two digits after the decimal.)

People seem to forget Roddenberry's handwave explanation for TOS's inconsistent stardates (as given in The Making of Star Trek): That they're not a universal calendar, but are calculated based on a ship's position, velocity, and so forth and thus are different in different regions of space, so that numerical order does not represent chronological order. I guess the problem is that TNG et al. did try to impose a more universal system, so people have tried to force TOS into the same kind of system even though it's obviously absurd (no way does "The Magicks of Megas-tu" come before "Where No Man Has Gone Before").

5. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Sorry for hijacking, but since this thread put the thought into my head I figured it was better to ask here than start a new thread.

I'm currently reading a bunch of series, trying to catch up, and am still a long way off hitting any of the relaunch points. Also I'm about to finish Voyager for the first time and hopefully some point this week Endgame will be watched.

Previously you've all talked about how unconnected to the Relaunch Homecoming was, and how it can be skipped, however, I'm wondering if I could read it post Endgame without catching up on all the other series? IE can I read it with just knowledge from the TV Show?

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course! It picks up right after the last scene of Endgame. It's not disconnected from the "Relaunch" at all though. It's the first book of it, and starts a series of four books that alot of people don't particularly enjoy. Then the next series of Voyager books which are highly thought of begin.

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

The first four books (Homecoming, The Farther Shore, Spirit Walk Books #1 & 2) by Christie Golden aren't particularily unconnected to the relaunch per se...they are just leagues behind the quality of what has come after by Kirsten Beyer (Full Circle, Unworthy, CHildren of the Storm, The eternal Tide, and Protectors). All 9 books comprise what we call the "relaunch", and all 9 are worth reading. Some more worth it than others ;)

8. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Thanks guys. Having just watched Endgame, I'm diving into Homecoming almost straight away. I'll probably only bother with that and The Farther Shore for now, and then catch up with everything else.

9. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I finished the Twist of Faith Omnibus. Here goes my review:
    A+
    Absolutely outstanding story telling, it felt like
    an episode completely.

Abyss
    B+
    This was a good story but it had some seriously big shoes to fill with Avatar. Overall very good though. I liked the Vaughn/Bashir ending, hope that comes back. Also I didn't get the whole "breeding stock" part.

Demons of Air and Darkness
    A-
    Loved it, just an awful lot of references to episodes.

Horn and Ivory
    C
    What a missed opportunity. I get what the author was doing, it just didn't work for me.

Overall an outstanding omnibus. Totally recommended! Onward to Mission Gamma!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

You can safely read all of Golden's books, I think, before getting into wider litverse-related connections. You really want to read Destiny and the pre-Destiny TNG relaunch novels before Full Circle.

11. voyager1

Is Destiny actually titled "A Singular Destiny"?

12. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

A Singular Destiny is a different story, a novel that deals with the aftermath of the Destiny trilogy (the trilogy consisting of Gods of Night, Mere Mortals, and Lost Souls)

13. voyager1

Well I hit 60% of my Kindle version of Twlight. So far been a good book but man is it long. Hope to finish it in the next couple of days.

14. voyager1

Well I finally finished MG:Twilight two nights ago. Man is that a beast of a book. I really enjoyed it. I never found the many plot lines too hard to follow. I do think a few scenes could have been removed but I imagine they are there for a reason. So other then the length (honestly this could have been two books) I think it was outstanding.

So I give it a solid A-. Onward to Mission Gamma 2: This Grey Spirit. I have already downloaded and started it ;)

15. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

We just talked TGS on Literary Treks, interested to hear your take. I personally like the length of Twilight, so much for your money. It was great to set the stage for what comes in MG.

16. voyager1

Just glanced at your podcast episodes on Downcast, very cool. I definitely will be downloading some for listening to!

17. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Hope you enjoy! I also do The Orb which is all about DS9. So if you like the DS9r, I think you'll like it.

18. voyager1

I am half way through MG: Thia Grey Spirit. It is interesting.
    I am enjoying the political aspect and the ships counselor Mattias is growing on me.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started This Gray Spirit but then took a break and haven't really gotten back into it. I'm going to restart it eventually. I think one issue I had with it was after what we got in Book 1 and that really emotional ending, This Gray Spirit felt like it took a step backwards. It might have been better to let that book 1 ending sink in for a week or two and then go into book 2. I'll get back to it eventually.

20. voyager1

Grey Spirit does have a different feel to it then Twilight. I have been enjoying it though. I am to the part about the "art revealing."