Spoilers TNG, DS9, and VOY - Where is a Good Place to Start?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomalak301, Mar 28, 2014.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

But the point of this is I do want to read the books. Looking at the listing, it does seem overwhelming so I just go with a book and hope it makes sense. I do know about that wiki site though and have used it as a resource.

2. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

I can certainly understand in how it can seem overwhelming. Many of us here have been reading these books for years and have followed the various series in anticipation of each new book. Now looking back I can see we have covered a LOT of ground over the years but the time spent has been well worth it, with very few exceptions.

In my opinion I think it's best to narrow it down to a single favorite series to start with and use Thrawn's flowchart to help guide you. Since I see you started with the DS9 relaunch I have say that is an excellent place to start. I envy you in a way because you will be getting to experience the greatness of storytelling in many of these books for the first time. I hope that you enjoy them as much as we have over the years and become as addicted to collecting and reading them as many of us have too. The more fans that buy and read the books the more money the authors make and the more willing Pocket will be to continue the current course of high quality stories.

Kevin

3. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I think you are going to enjoy it. You'll be surprised how fast it will go, I think. Before you know it you'll be done with the DS9 and ready for TNG! It's going to be fun for you. You can also check out Literary Treks, the books and comics podcast on Trek.fm, we are doing a slow re-read of the DS9r

4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

If you cannot find the books you want to read, try your local library and if you cannot find there, the eBook is most likely available.

5. JWolf

I found Golden's attempt at Voy-R to have been the equivalent of Michael Martin's Titan book.

6. JWolf

Pretty good? Nah! Too many missed opportunities and too much missing that should be there. I'd go with lackluster at best.

7. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Small mod note: it's the preferred style on TrekBBS that if you're quoting multiple posts you use the multi-quote function and group them all in the one post.

If you've replied once and realise you want to then reply to another post as well, quote it, make your reply, copy that whole text and then edit your first response and paste it all in.

:mallory:

8. tomalak301

I finished Avatar, Book 1 last night and figured here would be a good place to post some thoughts about it. I actually might just use this thread as a way to post thoughts on the books that I do read, considering I am just starting the Trek novel-verse and if I went anywhere else in the forum, I might find out things that I don't want to find out, yet. :)

Anyway, that was a great read. I think yesterday I went from Chapter 13 to the end, mainly because everything was coming together and all I wanted to do was read on. Heck, even the epilogue, which I was thinking about doing today, was short enough where I was like, "screw it, it's late but I'm finishing this book tonight."

I think the thing that got me as I was reading this book was this is the type of thing I wanted, and thanks to this, and the Trek.fm network of podcasts (Shout out to you Enterpriserules ), my interest in Trek is kind of reinvigorated. As much as I have liked Abrams trek (Even though I didn't like Star Trek Into Darkness that much, but it was still an ok film) I grew up with 24th century Star Trek, the TNG, DS9, and Voyager Era. Reading this, it felt like I was finally getting new DS9 and in the final few chapters when everything was coming together, it was just such a fun read that I am looking forward to reading book 2.

As for the plot and characters, it seemed like everyone got a chance to shine. I really liked meeting the new characters, Shar, Bowers, Tenmei, and especially Commander Vaughn. In fact, one of the things I loved about this book was how introspective it was. You had Commander Vaughn who was looking for a sense of direction, and receiving an epiphany on the Freighter with the Orb of Memory, and his conversation with Picard afterward. You also had Ro (Which was a welcome surprise) and her conflict with Kira and how introspective that was, with Ro realizing she didn't have a place to go and DS9 was really the only Home she had. There was character conflict, but it was character conflict that made sense and added to the mythos in a very significant way, if that makes sense.

Overall though, there is one thing this book provided greater than anything else, and that was the aspect of brand new Star Trek, set in the 24th century during a time when I was excited to be a fan. I know it's not Canon, but to me that doesn't mean anything, especially now when I think we won't be getting any more 24th century prime universe stuff. Canon or not, it doesn't matter to me at all. It's brand new Star Trek, and I can't wait to dig deeper into it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

I won't say that every single book keeps the same level of quality as Avatar, but you'll be amazed how many of them do. You have like 13 years of incredible stories to enjoy.

Keep us posted.

10. tomalak301

I was looking at your flow chart and noticed that the order includes some of the comic books Are they really really important to this overall saga or could I scrape by without reading them? The reason I ask is because I've never been much of a comic book fan and even if I were, I'm not sure were I would get them. I just checked Itunes and they don't have them, and I'm not sure it's worth buying. Maybe in those instances I can go read the plot of them on Memory Beta and then stick with the novels.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The chart isn't about importance, just connectivity. All the books (except installments of a specific trilogy, miniseries, etc.) are designed to be accessible on their own without requiring you to read a hundred other things. The continuity links across different works or series are a bonus.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the comics are really just there as ancillary pieces. They're a neat bit of additional material if you're into them, but they don't contribute to the overall continuity in any major way like the novels do.

13. Thrawn

If it helps any, with the exception of the New Frontier comics which are important to that series, I haven't read any of the rest of the comics myself. 8of5 added them to the flowchart. I'll take his word for it, but like you, I'm not a comics person in general, and I haven't felt like I've missed anything.

14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

That's one thing I didn't like about New Frontier, just how much "Double Time" was referred to and was relied on in later novels, and yet it was only in print for a short time, and back then most book stores were not carrying graphic novels.

15. JWolf

But why do the Golden Voyager books need fixing? They need fixing because they are seriously broken.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok.. you don't like the books. You can quit quoting that post of mine every few days.

17. anthony_lynch15

anthony_lynch15 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
    You'll no doubt enjoy the second book and the rest of the relaunch series as well.

The DS9 Relaunch has some great new character added to the mix.
    Although Commander Vaughn is by far my favourite.

It makes sense.
    I loved see Ro back in the spotlight again, and it's wonderful to see her character grow in this and the other books.

I always considered the relaunch books as canon as the TV shows and films. Like yourself, and no doubt many others it's great to see the stories continued. :)

Enjoy Book 2

18. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

The DS9-R really is a perfect way to get into Treklit. It is very well done and feels so much like the show all while introducing you to great new characters that quickly become as integral to the story as someone like Kira or Odo.

19. tomalak301

I loved Avatar I, mainly for the excitement of new trek and new DS9 to dig into. However, it was obvious set up for book 2 and thankfully, I was able to read book 2 right after book 1. I know a lot of complaints for these two books were that they could have been one novel, and I agree, but from my perspective, they almost were. :)

Anyway, I loved Avatar II. They took everything from book 1 and paid it off, while still leaving the groundwork for the rest of the DS9 Relaunch. There was plenty of action, from Kitan'iklan almost destroying the station to Kira and Vaughn saving the station, and the revelations about Oihalu's book and the prophecies within. We also got an Odo sighting, and the introduction to Toran'atar, who I took to be the new Odo, an outsider who really is at the station with peaceful intentions but is there to learn about other cultures.

I think the thing I loved most about this book, much like Avatar 1, was the journeys the characters take, and how the novel was very character driven. I've only started reading the novels in the Trek-lit verse, but so far my favorite characters are Commander Vaughn and Colonial Kira.

Kira's story here was absolutely incredible. It's amazing how much Perry got her so right, how in Season 1 she was this difficult person to work with who didn't believe the federation had any right to be there, to Season 7 helping the cardassians fighting the dominion, to these books where she was more than a capable leader. She makes everyone around her stronger, even Ro, who she had problems with but still worked well together. But the real reason I love Kira? It was the end of the book where she sent the book to Bajor's general public saying everyone has the right to know this book exists, and then her Orb of Memory experience and Chapter 18 when she reveals the 10,000 graves in the lower part of Bal'hala. In fact, when I was reading that chapter, I actually got a little emotional, mainly when Kira told Kasidy that these people died for what they believed in and that her baby wasn't a symbol or an icon. I think that chapter and scene might have been my favorite scene in the entire book. As for Vaughn, man his journey from Orb Experience to First officer on DS9 was equally as impressive. For a new character, he sure made an impact in a major way.

It will be interesting to see where things go from here. I have two more books and a short story to finish the Twist of Faith omnibus, but then I wonder what story next. Do I go with the Mission Gamma series, or jump ahead to Rising Son and Unity, which appear to pick up the events of Avatar in a big way (Based on reading the plot synopsis.

Still, that's a little far off. The next book is Abyss and it's a Section 31 story. That should be fun.

20. Thrawn

Avatar is definitely incredible.

And yes, follow the flowchart - they all go in order. Don't skip Mission: Gamma.