Tinnitus (Ringing in Ears) – Can Anything Be Done?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by scotpens, May 4, 2021.

1. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Premium Member

I’ve had an almost total hearing loss in my left ear for some years now. My doctors don’t know the exact cause –- perhaps a viral infection, perhaps a neuroma pressing on the auditory nerve. The deafness has been accompanied by occasional low-level tinnitus, but lately the ringing has gotten much worse. It’s louder and almost constant. I know there’s no cure for tinnitus, but has anyone tried anything for the condition –- herbal supplements, relaxation exercises, therapies both orthodox and unorthodox – that actually helps?

think likes this.
  2. think

think calling underdog Premium Member

there is a kind of herb that would work with this.. It was recommended to me when I complained about the same thing.. --- only thing I looked into the herb for me and it was not to be used with people with diabetes so I didn't think much of it... --- but I talked about it once in a Misc,.. thread maybe that neuro thread we have... I don't remember when or what thread.. but I did mention that herb -- I can remember the name of now.. I could search the misc section for Tinnitus .. yeah --- :) and post it if I find it.

3. think

think calling underdog Premium Member

I can't seem to cross post the quotes from a different thread here but ... I can quote them there and copy paste that would work ==== easy--

Ginkgo bilboba --- there we go from may 3rd 2020 yeah I have that kinda memory I guess.---

https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/mental-illness-and-neurodiversity-support-group.294882/page-43

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  4. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Premium Member

Actually I've tried ginkgo biloba, but it doesn't really help. It's supposed to increase brain circulation and may have some effect on tinnitus that has a vascular origin, but mine is due to nerve deafness.

I do find that melatonin works as a fairly effective over-the-counter sleep aid.

StarCruiser and think like this.
  5. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Okay - I don't have Tinnitus but, Healthline does have a few things to say about it:

https://www.healthline.com/health/tinnitus-remedies

There are claims that if it's nerve related, Zinc may help since that mineral is often involved in the nervous system.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV so...?

6. 1001001

1001001 Workin' Them Angels Moderator

I have had pretty bad tinnitus in my right ear since a bad infection years ago.

My audiologist recommended a white noise app for sleep. It works decently enough.

Other than that, I have found everything else: supplements, etc. to be worthless.

Supposedly there's some kind of hearing device that can be tuned to your frequency, but I haven't checked it out. I've pretty much learned to grin and bear it. Some days are better than others.