Time To Come Out...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Bry_Sinclair, May 4, 2017.

1. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She can be pretty hammy. I wouldn't call Wang or Montgomery "Hammy" More like "awkward" sometimes. Maybe he's referring to Beltran.

2. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai Commander Red Shirt

Y
    Oh, no, Bry is referring to Picardo.

3. Prax

Yeah, he can be hammy...great actor though. And a great character. Who doesn't like the Doctor?

4. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

Apparently he doesn't. I gotta admit, my first time through VGR, the Doctor was about the only character I thought was living up to potential. This time, though...yeah, he can get on my nerves.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  5. Prax

I've loved Picardo since The Wonder Years.

"I....am an instructor.. This.... is a class. It's not GYM class! It's PHYSICAL EDUCATION... I...am an educator...I am here to educate your bodies!"

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Depends on the episode. I have fantastic respect for Picardo, but I don't always like the Doctor.

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Me. The most over-rated and over-hyped character there has been. Have to admit not a fan of Picardo either, put me right off the last season of Stargate Atlantis.

8. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

He had a tendency too...draw out each word at the end of his paaaaause...for dramatic effeeeect.

9. Prax

"Spoooock"

10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Seconded & cosigned.

But I honestly thought this was pretty much the popular consensus on Voyager.

11. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

It was until...I don't know. Recently. Voyager had only a small fraction of defenders while it was airing. Nostalgia has turned it into something it never was.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been an interesting change in attitude to observe.

13. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

It happened with ENT as well, but took longer to come around, and was probably more deserved.

See, VGR was supposed to be awesome. The internet didn't have nearly the dominion it held with ENT premiered (though it was around) and while there were complaints, reviews of the pilot were excellent and everyone thought this would be a sure thing.

Around the third season, a majority of people admitted they weren't impressed, and hoped this new Borg character would make it more interesting. Personally, I kept trying to convince myself I liked it, and I was a faithful viewer until the end of Season Five, whereupon I just couldn't take it anymore. But I noticed that while the majority of fans were dissing VGR, they were still watching, and there was a loud contingent of fans who would defend it tooth and nail.

On the other hand, ENT was cool to hate. At this point, DS9, which used to be cool to hate, was an established and (mostly) respected part of the franchise, so now viewers were free to loathe ENT and accuse it of breaking canon because it existed. If it was reported that there was a fly on set while filming an episode, trekkers would decry it as breaking canon. "There were never flies on Kirk's bridge!"

But unlike VGR, they actually did stop watching, which is why they missed the fact that it got a lot better in the third season and awesome by its fourth. Some probably did watch, but were still stuck in the mode of "this is the show I'm supposed to hate." By ENT's season three, VGR was declared good, even great, and a legitimate part of the franchise while ENT was not even canon. When ENT ended with an admittedly horrible finale, cries of "It was just Riker making up stories on the holodeck the whole time!" began. I was quite certain ENT would never get a legit fanbase...

...but it has. Lately, anyway, I have noticed people talking about how they love ENT, but this new series looks like crap. Whatever came before is always better than the newest offering. In 2039, whatever new series is introduced then will be declared crap, and people will complain that they miss DSC.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  14. Pure Antiproton

Pure Antiproton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In no particular order, I really dislike the mirror universe (especially the DS9 incarnation). Really disliked so many episodes of TNG focused on events on the ship and they never seemed to go to interesting planets. Still have issues with the Federations' society and economy being very bland and uninteresting.

15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice analysis, @Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai. I think there's a lot of truth in that.

I personally gave up on VOY somewhere in the third season, I think. The Captain Sulu episode was the last straw for me, and after that I only saw the odd episode here and there. To this day there are a lot of episodes I've never seen.

Oddly enough, I watched one of the "Captain Proton" episodes on Netflix last night. I was curious about them since they were homages to the old Flash Gordon serials. It was cute.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  16. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think "The Royale" is one of the most enjoyable episodes of TNG.

Armus and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  17. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Expect Hollywood to produce tripe, then be pleasantly surprised to find a show that even a little bit lives up to original Trek. That's a proper perspective. That's actually trying to like it. I'm watching Voyager on a big screen for the first time. It's amazing how much that deepens the episodes, and lets it show through how much work it took from a lot of dedicated people who cared, to make it. Voyager had SF concept troubles, but it also had a great big heart to it, something you can seldom say these days.

18. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

The music of TOS can be melodramatic, overbearing, and repetitive. Almost as bad as the dreary, bland music of 90's post Ron Jones Trek.

Scotty can be annoying.

William Shatner, Deforest Kelly, and George Takai were the best actors on TOS.

The bridge of the Ent on TWOK looks like shit compared to bridge we saw in TMP.

The movie era uniforms from TWOK onwards are ridiculous. They look like dress uniforms and are't very believable as 23rd century standard uniforms.

19. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Jonathan Frakes has more of a range and gave more consistent perfomances than Patrick Stewart throughout TNG's 7 year span.

20. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Despite Spock being my childhood hero, I consider the whole of TNG era trek to be more legitimately "true trek" than TOS.

I don't hate "Profit and Lace".

I really like "Move Along Home".

I quite like Insurrection.

If you want to hear some non-trek related controversial views too:

I prefer Return of the Jedi to Empire Strikes Back...

And a really big one:

I think Blade Runner is WAY overrrated, and despite mulitple attempts to feel something positive about it, I just can't.

Prax and galad2003 like this.