Throwaway lines that hint at untold stories

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Laura Cynthia Chambers, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Who were the Vostigye in "REAL LIFE"?

2. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Having just read the Pon Farr comments I read that as "raping."

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Chinbutt

4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Your post also reminds me of Lorelei Signal where Spock now has telepathy and can brain it to Chapel or others. Not dialogue as such but now he has a shiny new power and no explanation, but maybe one of the earlier episodes covered it.

Back to your points and in no order because I have ADHD:

50 foot Spock found a girlfriend and bought a house. I think that covers all your points, but I'd rather not think about a 50 foot Pon Farr, especially if raincoats weren't used by the locals on that rainy day...

(so far ahead of its time, that cheesy mid-80s home video... at least the actors 26 seconds in that are terrified of it were convincing... sorta... thank goodness for parodies...)

F. King Daniel likes this.
  5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The connection between Spock and "the WOMEN!" has always been a subject of intrigue... "Omega Glory" has Spock telepathically suggest things to a lithe woman when tactically turning the burliest man into Spock's witless servant would appear to be the preferable thing. The idea behind this early script was that Spock's powers towards women were indeed greater than towards men, regardless of species and whatnot.

Sending telepathic messages on a wlan rather than by direct touch might be something relating to gender, too: Sarek and Burnham have the same thing going in modern Trek. Although supposedly this involved a particularly intense meld in the past, we can freely speculate (untold story!) that there was one shared by Spock and Chapel, too. But perhaps such sharing is enough, and gender is no issue?

I'd completely forgotten the TAS precedent to the Sarek/Burnham connection... But there's plenty of precedent to Vulcan powers being secret and surprising!

Timo Saloniemi

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These words, from 7 of 9:
    The Ferengi don't seem to have had warp drive before most other 'important' Alpha quadrant species, so how come their Borg species number is so low?

Enterprise1701 and pst like this.
  7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Borg have been everywhere, even if the subjects of their interest haven't.

The Ferengi were slow to get warp or otherwise advance technologically, or even to build up a monetary system, as per "Little Green Men". They thus would have reached the level where they trigger Borg interest much earlier than humans and their ilk did, if humans and the Ferengi are at the same level during Star Trek.

Unless we assume the Borg only start to show interest when a species acquires warp. But that has never been indicated. No doubt the Borg realize that when bipeds on a random planet first start building clay huts, it's only a matter of time when they become interstellar - so the bipeds are assigned a Species Number and kept under study for the next few dozen or hundred millennia.

Timo Saloniemi

8. Farscape One

It could also be that a wormhole brought some Ferengi right to Borg space, and were assimilated at that point, explaining why they have such a low number.

9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Acquisition" shows us that random Ferengi pirates occassionally wander far from their home territory (granted, the Borg sphere of influence is presumably far, far further). Ignoring Little Green Men's conceit (they're already wrong about Vulcan and probably Klingon warp drive), it could be that Ferengi civilization, already tens of thousands of years old, had achieved warp drive at an early stage and early entrepreneurs headed out in the opposite direction.

10. Farscape One

We see a lot of cooperation between Earth and Denobula in ENTERPRISE. I think we could get a series, or a miniseries, on the adventures of a joint operation. E.R. meets STAR TREK... maybe even center it on a young Phlox and Dr. Lucas, since they have been friends for many years.

11. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

in "equinox", janeway talks about captain ransom making first contact with the yridians, who were thought to have gone extinct. since they're one of the more prominent background races in TNG and DS9 and showed up in an episode of enterprise, i'd love to know what was up with that.

12. Farscape One

Garth... a legendary Starfleet captain, even to Kirk. There has to be more to his fall from grace than those few lines we got.

13. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

He spent other people's money on sushi.

JonnyQuest037 and Sgt_G like this.
  14. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

“The automation system’s overloaded. I didn’t expect to take us into combat, ya’ know?”

The line doesn’t really hint at an untold story, but it does make me question Scotty’s judgement. Why wouldn’t he have expected the ship to see combat given that they were planning to steal it out of spacedock?

15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

As Khan said, "We're one big happy fleet." They probably expected pursuit, but they weren't expecting to be fired upon. ;)

16. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

And quoting that line reminds me of what Khan said right after:
    So where and when did Khan pick up a Klingon proverb? Humans hadn't yet made first contact with the Klingons when he launched from Earth in 1996. Did he read it in one of the technical manuals he read on the Enterprise, or did he have some undocumented encounter with a Klingon on Ceti Alpha V?

17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Why did God need a Star ship?

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

One would hope Kirk and company would have learned from the Khan incident and taken nothing for granted.

Now that I think about it, maybe Kirk temporarily demoted Scotty back to commander as punishment, which is why Scotty’s rank is different in TVH.

19. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see why he wouldn't have read up a little on Klingons during Space Seed, since they were the Fed's greatest enemy at the time (with a major war breaking out that very year). If he planned on taking over the Federation, or even just going his own way, he'd need to see what dangers lay out there.

That said, he was also granted several paper books (and probably other forms of data), that could've contained a list of Klingon proverbs at the very least. His library seen in Star Trek II included a book about commerce regulations. I don't think he would have such a book in his library pre-Space Seed.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't God. ;)

I did hear something about it being a renegade Cytherian (the race from "The Nth Degree"). Now that's an untold story I'd like to hear...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018