Three Trek Series to Leave Netflix September 30

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Joanna McCoy-Kirk, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

TOS, Enterprise, and Voyager will be leaving Netflix at the end of this month. With the existence of Paramount +, I guess this was inevitable. I don't own DVDs of Voyager, so I have to use a streaming service to watch it (it's not exactly my favorite Trek series, so I don't watch it that often). AFAIK these series will stay on Hulu for now, and of course are available on Paramount +.

2. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone know if this is just in the US, or the UK as well?

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Might just be in territories which have Paramount+, after all there is still money to be made by selling it other channel providers if you aren't opperating in that territory. But I wouldn't be surprised if things like Paramount+ expand to other countires just like Disney+ has.

Still we can rejoice in the competition all these providers bring so instead of having to pay X amount to just 1 company we can pay Y amount multiple companies. ;)

4. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Khan!

Though I haven't been with Netflix for a few months now. I'm mostly using Disney and Amazon, though that's a free month, and it's for Lower Decks. ;)

I wonder if this will be international as well, being as Paramount+ is coming to Europe next year.

5. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I have Paramount+ so this doesn't have a big effect on me. I'm more annoyed by the unavailability of several of the movies.

I either subscribe to or share subscriptions to HBO Max, Paramount, Apple TV and Disney, and between those and free streaming channels like Pluto TV and Youtube, I rarely watch Netflix. More and more I have the experience of looking for a movie there and never finding it. I find Netflix and Amazon the least satisfying in terms of ever finding what I want to watch.

BillJ likes this.
  6. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

I think it's just the US, although the article I read this in doesn't specify a country (https://www.huffpost.com/entry/movies-shows-leave-netflix-september-2021_l_612c71cce4b09266434dbe69). When I sat down to watch Voyager yesterday on Netflix, there was a notice onscreen as the beginning of the episode played that Voyager would be leaving Netflix on September 30, so that's how I originally found out. I also get Hulu and Paramount +, but Netflix is technically more reliable than Hulu and has better picture quality than Paramount +.

7. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

We should be ok over here, since we don't have Paramount+.

8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thats kinda a bad move. But hey, not my money.

Is it leaving amazon primo as well?

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I have Paramount but also the only ones I really still watch are TNG and DS9.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, insofar as having corporation-specific streaming services go, it's a good move. Star Trek is a valuable set of TV series, and it makes more sense for CBSViacom to only let them stream on the network they own instead of adding value to rival streaming services.

Now, I don't really think corporation-specific streaming services are a viable long-term business model, because for consumers the value comes from a streaming service having a variety of programs available rather than from having programs from one specific corporation. So while I think the entire concept of "Disney+" or "Paramount+" or "Peacock" is ultimately a bad business model in the long run, in the short run restricting Star Trek to Paramount+ is in CBSViacom's best interests.

I dunno when Amazon Prime's license expires, but I would be shocked if CBSViacom did not let that license expire so as to give Paramount+ a monopoly on Star Trek streaming.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

TOS -- I get it, not everyone is going to watch a show from the '60s. It's an unfortunate fact.
    ENT -- I also get it. It's not '90s Trek and it's not New Trek. it slipped through the cracks.

But Netflix dropping VOY surprises me. I thought the data showed that it was the most-watched Star Trek series on Netflix.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somehow I got the impression that this was a move for Paramount to restrict availability and thus (potentially) get more people to subscribe to Paramount+ if they want to watch those shows.

Kor

fireproof78 and Lord Garth like this.