Three Body Problem, a hard sci-fi drama from Tencent

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Brainsucker, Feb 4, 2023.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm just curious how any adaptation would deal with the balls-out insane romance subplot in "The Dark Forest."

(The knowingly-wacky romance plot (especially the beginning) from "Death's End" would just be fun to watch, though.)

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I’m interested to see how they pull off fourth dimensional space.

3. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

You can watch the anime, San Ti. At least, that's the title that I know. San Ti is the anime that adapt the second book, the Dark Forest. I think they choose to adapt it into animation rather than live action because it is easier and cheaper for the production. As Dark Forest has a whole different level to adapt, compared to the first book, the Three Body Problem.

4. Quantum21

Quantum21 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Out of this world adaptation!

You will never see a 30 episode series covering a book in the United States.

Season 2 is already in the works.

I'm not an adherent to the idea of a Dark Forest. There is no way every level of advanced species is either on a tightrope or hair trigger against other life in the universe. Advanced species would know there is another way.

But it's a fascinating exploration nevertheless.

5. Brainsucker

I don't know. I, myself, can't imagine what will happen if we meet an Alien race in real life. Specially when they have a very different of physiology and psychology to human. Not only that, what if they have a very different form of communication to us. It's like communicating with a lion or a wolf, but with high level intelligent, society, and even knowledge. They even have their own culture, and even way of life.

Right now, we can tame a dog or a cat by giving them foods. Or observe them like a master to their pet. But if we meet an Alien, it will be very hard to observe them, it even harder to understand what they're thinking. Because they're more sophisticated species than animals. They're clever. They may even smarter than us. They may even have better understanding in science than us.

So, won't we be suspicious on them? It is also vice versa. They will also suspicious on us. What if the other side are aggressive? what if the other side are more superior than us? Will they become our master while we are their pet? What if we are their preferred gourmet? I'm sure that these frightening thought will plague both parties in the first contact.

Maybe the first contact will result in an understanding between two species. We can make a bridge for both species. But even with that, the bridge can only work in a protected environment where the participants from both parties can build a trust between the two.

That trust / understanding won't work in a massive, uncontrolled environment. Because when it happen, fraction and racism will quickly spark between the two people. And it can lead into a war.

At that time, both sides will depend on their weapons and technologies. And this war can happen until one of these two species extinct.

6. Quantum21

Quantum21 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Likely a first meeting will mean they're more advanced than we are just by pure reasoning: we don't have the means to reach even 1 other star system, and yes several "experts" suggest that we may want to keep quiet just in case. I think that's where Liu's idea originated.

I tend to believe Sagan's theory:

All civilizations cone to a crux point (or several) where they either destroy themselves, look inwards or not. If they make it past this predilection for destruction, they must be more advanced than us on several levels including socially.

If someone suggests that evolution means constant struggle and competition at every level, then I'd say evolution is really about cooperation/adaptation and that's another thing such a society would have learned.

As I said though, this is a fascinating thought exploration.

Brainsucker likes this.
  7. Brainsucker

Well, yes. It's hard to know what kind of Aliens that we will meet in the future. But sending loud messages to space is quite reckless, in my opinion. I think if humanity want to contact another intelligent live form out there, we also have to prepared / ready to face them, if they're actually a tyrant / monster.