Three beers a day keep the doctor away

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Alidar Jarok, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The only beer I ever found that I really did like was Samuel Smith Pale Ale. Alas, I've never found it anywhere since in over 20 years.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is basically heaven.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would drink a good stout flat. In fact they are often much less carbonated than other beers.

mm...... haven't had that, but have had quite a few chocolate stouts. And coffee stouts. And..

If you can try that Rasputin one I linked which is from the US I recommend it RoJo!

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've tried it. We had it on tap at my bar once. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan. I like stouts, but imperial stouts tend to be a little strong for me.

5. teacake

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have gotten so snobby regarding beer since I started working at the brewery. Honestly, given all the options out there, I would almost always drink one of the beers that we make versus any others.

That said, I did recently enjoy some Pumpking, which is an imperial pumpkin ale from Southern Tier Brewing Company. It's very hard to get a hold of because they don't make that much, and it's only around for short time in the early fall.

7. teacake

I've never had pumpkin ale (we don't have pumpkin as a flavour here the way they do in the US) but I've had chestnut ale.

I will try anything. The other day I was out and there was only one beer on the beer list I hadn't tried so I had to have that :lol: It was Quilmes from Argentina. Godawful but I still enjoyed trying something I hadn't.

I had this stout the other day, also from the US:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/anderson-valley-barney-flats-oatmeal-stout/334/

That was much less kick ass than the Rasputin, sweeter and milder. Nice.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

9. teacake

You should upload a photo!

We have a beer garden here that has a whole fridge of ever changing stouts from around the world, as well as a huge range that are always on the menu. That's the menu..

http://www.beerdeluxe.com.au/images/pdf/fedsquarebeerbible.pdf

But the ever changing choices are great. They get all kinds of stouts in. Other than working my way through the Trappist offerings I've pretty much stuck to stout exploration, though it has been winter.

So does your brewery ship all over the US?

Aus is in the middle of a CIDER REVOLUTION. Which I cannot abide.. I've tried, I've asked for the driest, least sweet cider. I've asked experts if there's a stout of ciders.. it's all awful to me. I enjoy maybe a sip, can't imagine drinking a whole bottle of it. Except I did once with a particular cheese because I got it into my head it would be perfect which it was. Cider is everywhere here, blech.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Our brewery literally just started bottling its beer about 11 months ago. As of now, we only ship throughout Illinois, Iowa, and parts of Wisconsin. We opened a brand new facility last spring, and we've already maxed out our brewing capacity.

11. teacake

We will never run out of beers to try.

Even if we drank three different ones a day!

btw I keep reading this thread title as "Three bears a day.."

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never found a stout I like. Rather like liquifying a brick and drinking it.

Enjoy a nice strong IPA though.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's nothing quite like a good porter.

Fuller's London Porter is fantastic. Samuel Adams' Honey Porter, when they brewed it, was top-notch. Highland's Oatmeal Porter is exceptional.

14. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I like beer. Three a day will be too much for me, but I can see one beer being more healthy than not.

That's one of the reason I prefer stout to other beers.

One time I had a licorice stout from a small brewery here in Italy. It was great.

15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

My thought after reading the whole article is that you sure did cherry-pick the part that you liked!

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, yeah. But I included a link so you're free to read the rest. Of course scientists aren't going to say massive consumption of alcohol is good for you (although there are studies that suggest that even those who drink heavily live longer than teetotalers). So, yeah, the disclaimer is to not drink more than 5 units in one day and to try to drink every day as opposed to just on the weekend.

17. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

Any health benefit in an alcoholic beverage can be found better in its non alcoholic variant. A cup of cocoa has more antioxidants than the famed wine.

Also, beer is very caloric, and beer drinkers never smell very good, and I would think there's a good amount of water retention you would accumulate with three beers a day... daily drinkers seem to have bloaty red faces, broken blood vessels, and all that charming stuff... also kills all the good bacteria in gut for a good few hours.

I suppose it's a good relaxant in moderation (the other side of the coin being depressant), but you can get that through yoga, meditation, and all kinds of other activities that will keep you in a good state of well being without the other risky side effects associated with alcohol consumption.

18. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

I read through to see what they mean by "a beer", the only reference to a specific measure is a 330cl bottle. But I think 3 of those would take you a bit over 3 units, which they say is the recommended daily limit for men.

Meanwhile your average brit skimming this might think WAHAY 3 PINTS which is waaaay over the limit.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

In the United States at least, "one beer" is considered to be 12 fluid ounces (the size of the average bottle).

20. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Yeah...antioxidants don't even do us any good anyway, apparently! Despite seeming to have a plausible mechanism for health benefits, the most recent conclusions I've read are that there is just no evidence at all of a health benefit from consuming more antioxidants, and what's more, the free-radicals that anti-oxidants kill actually play an important roll in our bodies!

I think this is one of the more reasonable hypotheses for the health benefits of alcohol: stress kills, alcohol relieves stress.