Thoughts on Discovery Starfleet Uniforms (Trailer Edition)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mark_Nguyen, May 18, 2017.

1. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Something in the EW article has me curious: it says that when Fuller departed and changes to the series format were made, the uniform design was changed from Fuller's idea, which was a muted version of the TOS uniform colors. I would love to see those designs!

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've seen the Fuller uniforms concept and I prefer the ones from the trailer. They simply stand out more.

RAMA

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My advice: Stop watching debunked videos on youtube that fit in with your own views. Just stay away from them. Your blood pressure will go down and you'll be a happier person, as well as sounding more informed than you do now.

I give great advice btw.

RAMA

Roald and Markonian like this.
  5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Oooh, interesting! Where have you seen them? I don't suppose they are online anywhere, right? Can you describe them a bit more?

RAMA likes this.
  6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I have a pic of it, I've seen the science version. Information comes my way.:bolian:

I will describe it: Take the trailer uniform. Lighten the color to a cool sort of aqua, remove the metallics(Including the deltas), but keep all the details and structure. That's it.

Markonian likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Sounds interesting. So something like this?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I can't comment on the red or gold versions in terms of color, but the blue one is actually much closer to the trailer design. For example, it keeps the piping on the shoulders, it's just not metallic. Same with the side torso, it's slightly darker there where the metallic deltas are in the trailer version, but that detail is still there. Also the color in this photo looks more teal..the color of the concept art is more aqua.

RAMA

Markonian and KirkusOveractus like this.
  9. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Ones of these days, RAMA, someone is going to kidnap you and make you spill everything you know.

Markonian and RAMA like this.
  10. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

these uniforms are growing on me. caught this photo this morning of christian bale in a new, post-civil war-era film and thought his uniform looked a lot like discovery's and it made me see the real world connections and appreciate them a little bit more:

[​IMG]

Michael, 137th Gebirg and Markonian like this.
  11. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds much better. The ones we got have way too much bling.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

...and blue.

13. KirkusOveractus

According to the Entertainment Weekly mention of the uniforms Fuller had a design for, it goes along with what you're saying. The article said that they would have been more subdued versions of the three colors from TOS.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I wonder if CBS choosing to depart from the department colors has something to do with visually segregating the show from the films.

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They're still there - instead of over-saturated gold, blue and red they're using metallic gold, silver and bronze (copper?), respectively, in both the usage of fabric, as well as the insignia plating. They're just not as obtusely varied as Bob Fletcher's designs for TMP & TWOK+.

16. KirkusOveractus

While fans would know that it's to tie in with a certain timeline, I would agree from a general viewer's standpoint (as well as marketing and other things involved with DSC), that may be one of the top reasons for the change.

pst likes this.
  17. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

yeah the relationship between the division colors is close to the originals. i would've been happy with blue uniforms with mustard, teal and maroon piping, but i can live with it.

it may be as arbitrary as some executive just doesn't like the traditional starfleet uniform aesthetic, so they dumped it.

KirkusOveractus and 137th Gebirg like this.
  18. KirkusOveractus

I see that point as well. Someone in a boardroom saying that no one will like those "cheesy '60s-style uniforms", and maybe not realizing that the updates in the current movies have worked very well!

And yes, I've worked with people in the corporate world who have had absolutely no clue of recent happenings, insulated from anything that's going on.

pst likes this.
  19. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

That might actually be an intentional avoidance from being compared to the feature films, owned by a different company and (ostensibly) existing in an alternate universe/time branch. They made such a stink over DSC being in the prime universe, for it to actively use similar uniforms being employed in the alt-timeline would be blatantly contradictory to their mission statement.

KirkusOveractus and pst like this.
  20. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

conversely. the division colors in star trek 2009's opening scene aboard the kelvin made no real sense either and bore almost no relationship to the division colors as we knew them. it may have been that chris hemsworth looked better in blue or the producers believed it would sell that that scene took place in the 2230s instead of the 2250s like the rest of the film.

it's possible discovery's producers were thinking along those same lines. but i'm going with some executive was just being an executive.