THOR-starts shooting Jan2010: Updates, Rumors & Casting till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, May 4, 2009.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: THOR-starts shooting Jan2010: Updates, Rumors & Casting till relea

There presumably aren't Australian soaps in Asgard, though, and the accent Hemsworth is doing doesn't match those of Hopkins and Hiddleston particularly well. I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker, but from the evidence so far Hemsworth's ability with accents is more Worthington than Jackman.

2. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Troll soap operas?

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not so distractingly silly that one doesn't pay attention to whatever he's saying.

I don't give a fuck whether he's supposed to be from Asgard or Jersey or what he's "supposed to" sound like. The accent sounds stupid and annoying.

Enlightened?

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

One thing that's a constant in this universe is the bitching of SF fans when details are not 100% correct or according to their views and tastes ;) I don't give a fuck about Hemsworth's supposedly bad accent or that some effects seem not to be done correctly (which i disagree personally).

This will not be Shakespeare, Schindler's List or some (deserving) Oscar movie.. it will be an Action Adventure summer blockbuster movie and should be treated as such. If you put such movies under a microscope you are bound to notice flaws and mistakes but doing this from a few minutes of released trailers is the height of arrogance and self-righteousness.

It seems many people have lost that ability to just lean back, pay for overpriced junk food and tickets and wait for the lights to go out and enjoĆ½ themselves for two hours.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The height of arrogance and self-righteousness? Well, as long as you're open to discussion and different points of view, eh? :lol:

Anyway, I disagree with the notion that one should simply accept anything that's thrown at you with your critical faculties turned off as long as a film is light entertainment. Frankly, I think that's a bit insulting to those filmmakers who put a great deal of care, attention and skill into light entertainment films. Why should they bother if such films aren't to be given their due and judged at such a low bar? Do some SFF fans get overly nitpicky? Sure. But you're going too far in the other direction in attempting to shut down all critical comments.

I expect Thor will at least rise to the level of a reasonably enjoyable movie in a Saturday matinee level way, and if it rises higher than that it'll be a nice surprise, but for now all we have to evaluate are the trailers and people are giving their thoughts - pro and con - on them. Of course a film can turn out better or worse than its trailers indicate and that has to be borne in mind.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Thor" will be a hit. I think it's a question of just how big a hit it will be? I see it carrying the box office at least two or three weeks straight. There doesn't appear to be anything significant threatening it on opening weekend, the second weekend it's up against "The Beaver" and Paul Bettany's "Priest". Then at the end of the month Pirates 4 is out. I can see it in the top two until Pirates comes out. It will probably slip a few spots after that.

I have nothing against Kat Dennings, I like her, I just don't like her part in this movie.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Beaver opens in limited release on the same weekend as Thor and then expands on May 20th. Priest and Bridesmaids open the weekend after Thor, and it should retain the #1 spot that weekend. Then Pirates 4 opens on May 20th, so no chance for Thor holding #1 for a third weekend.

Universal's astute positioning of Fast Five on the 29th April will likely sap Thor of a bit of the extra boost that is usually derived from opening the summer movie season on the first weekend of May.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Hopkins is and sounds Welsh, Hiddleston sounds middle-class English, Elba will probably have his usual cockney accent. None of them match.

No. But I generally don't expect to be by your contributions and you rarely disappoint.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I wondered if someone would bring up Hopkins being Welsh rather than English. Nevertheless, variations of British Isles accents seem to be what they're using for Asgard, and from what I've heard so far Hemsworth is attempting an accent that fits into that range, but Australian inflections are coming through, just as they often do with Sam Worthington when he attempts to alter his accent.

I don't mean to make a huge deal of this, but you did ask for clarification and I've attempted to give it. If others have a different view of his accent that's entirely fine.

10. Captaindemotion

^ No, that's fair enough, I take your point. But like I say, tm my ears there are variations among the accents anyway (though perhaps Elba will drop the Cockney accent in favour of a 'Received Pronunciation one). And I also think it's much like the to-do about the black Elba being cast as a Norse God - they're all made-up anyway, so what does it matter how they look or sound?!

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Elba playing a Norse god doesn't bother me at all, but just because they're fantasy characters doesn't mean that just any accent will do. I mean if one of the American actors playing a Hobbit was doing a Dick Van Dyke style Cockney accent it just wouldn't be cricket. Generally a certain accent range is set in films dealing with fantasy characters and/or ancient times and actors are required to change their accents to fit that range if necessary. Some do a better job of it than others.

12. Captaindemotion

^ Yes, plus it's all a matter of degree and of personal taste. So far Hemsworth's accent in the trailers hasn't bothered me, even though I can hear Aussie undertones. But maybe it will annoy me when I see the whole movie; equally, you might see the whole movie and no longer be bothered by the Aussie inflections.

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Quite true. :)

14. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You sound like all those posters you used to make fun of in the Trek '09 threads prior to that movie's release: the ones posting about how horrible everything was and all the problems with the movie. All they were really posting about was their own bias, as is obviously the case with your comments in this thread.

So, please continue, as it makes for amusing reading now, and will probably be even more entertaining in a few months' time :techman:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  15. Captaindemotion

^ You should change the words 'in this thread' to 'in every thread.' Then your comment would be 100% accurate.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

maybe Thor's from a different part of Asgard where they all have Aussie accents.

big question is, what's Rene Russo going to sound like as Frigga. if she sounds Aussie, then clearly Thor got his accent from Mom.

17. Captaindemotion

^ Yeah, I forgot about her. So there's probably an American accent in Asgard too.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Jaimie Alexander, who's playing Sif, is also American. My guess is that she and Russo will alter their accents, but time will tell.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not my shortcoming. :cool:

Thor make make a lot of money, but that's no reason to pretend that it looks any good just to flatter the taste of the fan base.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm not the fan base, nor do I give a shit about what they think, and I think it looks like a lot of fun.