Spoilers Thor: Love and Thunder grade and discussion thread

How do you rate Love and Thunder?

• Total voters
Did anyone feel like the Guardians Of The Galaxy at the start seemed kinda off?

Like I didn't even think Chris Pratt sounded right. His tone seemed so unlike the past times he played Peter/Star-Lord.

The rest of us in the household think he was a poor choice as Thor movies went from drama to “comedy “.

Thor being hit by Jane during backing out of the parking spot. His face sqeeuking against the glass when he gets drugged. "Another!" "I need a horse!" Drunk Erik being carried in. "The renfair just came into town". "Found you!" The group of people camping out at Mjolnir's crash site and trying to lift it. I could go on and on about the comedy in Thor. Most of it supplied by silly quips from Darcy.
The Dark World had plenty of silly humor as well, little less maybe. But Thor hanging Mjolnir on a hook, Loki's 'tadaaaa' when they crash through the portal into the Dark World.

My point is..... Thor was always an action/comedy movie, never a drama. Waikiki's humor is just on a whole other level that's not for everyone. And that's cool.

There's a difference between comedic touches or comic relief and getting to the point where its bordering on satire.The first Thor film had some comedy relief, but it was not 3 & 4's near self-depreciating characterization of the lead in ways never seen in most defining/best of the source material.

He didn’t open the portal.
That wasn't given as a pre-requisite. All one needed to do was get there. And... it was Thor's axe, not Gorr himself who did it.

Eternity only would grant a wish to the first one to find him, not the second.
That's also not stated in the film though.

They also missed a belter of an opportunity to do that beat, I think it's Thing and Hulk in the comics, where they get to the wish granting being and have one wish with which they can reverse all the mayhem and trauma and before the Thing can draw his breath to do it, Hulk wishes to "Go home and have a hamburger." or something and so that's what happens to them.

All the kids getting empowered reminded me of the end of Buffy.
And the end of Shazam! a bit too.

There's a difference between comedic touches or comic relief and getting to the point where its bordering on satire.The first Thor film had some comedy relief, but it was not 3 & 4's near self-depreciating characterization of the lead in ways never seen in most defining/best of the source material.
You are more articulate than I in forming the response. Thank you.

First Adam for the Guardians and now Hercules for Thor. Doesn't it seem a bit repetitive? Alien or God race, having another person so mad at our heroes that they send their progeny seems a bit too repetitive.
Did you ever actually read the Marvel Comics that the MCU is based on? The people doing the MCU aren't creating anything brand new (yes, they're doing various new interpretations of the material); but everything you mention was taken directly from the Marvel Comics themselves (which is why many Marvel Comics fans enjoy them do the degree they do.)

I just got back from seeing it, and I enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun, I don't know if put it up with some of Marvel's best, but I liked it.
Of course Chris Hemsworth was a lot of fun, I definitely much prefer this goofier version of Thor and his supporting cast over what we had in his earlier appearances
Overall, this is pretty much my preferred tone when it comes these kind of movies. I think sometimes they try a little too hard and take themselves a little too serious, and so it's nice to get some movies that have fun with it, and embrace the goofier side of things.
I really liked what they did with Jane, it was fun seeing her kick ass as The Might Thor, and keeping the cancer story from the comics was a nice way to add a bit more to her arc.
Christian Bale was seriously creepy as Gor. Honestly seeing his performance here, makes me want to see him as Joker. And I forgot until I posted that just now, that he was Nolan's Batman, so he could be the first actor to play both Batman and Joker, at least in live action.
I love Korg and Valkyrie so I was really happy to see them both play such a bit role in this.
The end of Jane's story really surprised me, once they made it to the gate to Eternity, I expected Thor to rush in and have Eternity heal Jane.
Loved the goats.
It was also a gorgeous movie with some really cool visuals, and some fun action scenes.
It was be interesting to see what they do with Hercules now that they set him up as a bad guy for the next movie.
I was a little surprised we didn't get a set up for Jane as a new Valkyrie, since they followed her story from the comics, and that was her next step after The Mighty Thor.
I gave it an A

Yes, which is what I stated clearly in my post, that the humor in 3 (haven't seen 4 yet) is completely different.

...I was a little surprised we didn't get a set up for Jane as a new Valkyrie, since they followed her story from the comics, and that was her next step after The Mighty Thor.
I gave it an A
^^^
That could be the reason FOR the 'Jane in Valhalla' after credits scene. Not that it's 100% going to happen, but they're leaving a door open IF they decide to act on it, and Natile Portman is amenable - and because of that scene if they go with it, MCU fans won't be screaming - "WTF?! Cop out!"

Ah, so did she die in the comics before she became Valkyrie? I haven't read the comics, but I have read through some character bios and one or two articles about Jane on Marvel.com. I thought she became Valkyrie instead of dying, that that was what saved her.

Here are some fun bits of casting I just saw on the Wikipedia page for Love & Thunder. Gorr's daughter is Chris Hemsworth's real life daughter, India, and the Wolf Woman is his wife, Elsa Pataky, and Natalie Portman, Christan Bale, and Taika Waititi's kids were some of the Agardian kids.
And according to an article I read earlier, neither Taiki Waititi or Chris Hemsworth knew that Thor would be coming back until they saw the "Thor will return" at the end when they went to the premiere.

And according to an article I read earlier, neither Taiki Waititi or Chris Hemsworth knew that Thor would be coming back until they saw the "Thor will return" at the end when they went to the premiere.
Maybe Natalie Portman knew... ;)

^^^
Given one of the post credits scenes with Hercules and Zeus, I find that claim somewhat dubious. (He had to be involved in creating and filming it I would imagine.);)

Back