• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Things that frustrate us all

  • Thread starter rhubarbodendron
  • Start date
MIne affected my night vision. I hated driving at night, but I see much better after the last replacement.
Well I have organised my appointment so that is now taken care of. It's only one floater now and a really odd shaped one like a ring with a clump on one side. It's not a total distraction when doing things though as i have read that usually the brain can adapt to filter it out over time. Lucky for me no flashing lights as that's a sign of a possible detached retina
 
Lucky for me no flashing lights as that's a sign of a possible detached retina
I had that happen and it was something I'd never seen before (not like the little flash when you bump your head,for example) so I called the university eye center first thing the next morning and was getting laser reattachment surgery at 2:30pm. My retinas look like a stich of tiny craters.
 
If I renew my car registration online, the California DMV wants to tack on a $49 service fee plus a $21 fee for using a debit card. Screw the DMV. I'll just renew my registration at the nearest Auto Club office like I've been doing for the last 30 years.

I got my first floater ..... Now in panic mode as I organise appointments for an eye specialist. Not coping
"Floaters" are something we all get as we age, and the brain quickly learns to ignore them. However, it's always a good idea to see an ophthalmologist if there's a sudden change in your vision. Good on you.
 
I have an evaporative (swamp) cooler I use at night as a whole house fan to cool the house down at night, before the morning heat. Monday night the belt from the motor to the blower crapped out. Today is the first day I could take care of it. I searched for the appropriate belt on-line. Luckily i found one in stock at an auto parts store only 3 miles away. I head over there at 11:30 am get the belt and fixed the cooler. The automotive belt was $10.99 + tax, more than a replacement swamp cooler belt I would have to drive 50 miles round trip to the closest Lowe's to get. The automotive v belt lasts for 10 years more than the one sold as a swamp cooler replacement belt. Four hours after I bought the belt, the auto parts chain, where I purchased the belt, sent me a coupon for $5 off any item priced over $10.
 
Last edited:
We finally pulled out the wheelchair for me this morning for when my legs aren't working, and I very quickly discovered that our house is not at all, in even the slightest bit, wheelchair accessible. We live in small one story house with just one hallway, but it's so damn narrow that I can pretty much only do in a striaght line in the wheelchair, so have to go into one of the bedrooms to turn around, and it's almost impossible to get into the bathroom with it. And all of the counters are way to tall for someone in a wheelchair, when I'm sitting in it they're nose or chin level. And the stove has all the controls behind all of the burners, so there's no way to turn it on by myself when I'm in the chair without burning the hell out of myself.
Oh and of course after struggling to navigate through the house and needing to repeatedly call my mom for help, my legs decided to start working again as I was pulling myself out of the wheelchair and back over to the couch. :brickwall:
The way things are working right now is that pretty much every time I sit down they're stopping working and it's taking as much as two or three hours of trying to finally get them going again, and when they are working their weak and wobbly, so I'm having to either hold myself up or lean against something or use crutches.
 
We finally pulled out the wheelchair for me this morning for when my legs aren't working, and I very quickly discovered that our house is not at all, in even the slightest bit, wheelchair accessible. We live in small one story house with just one hallway, but it's so damn narrow that I can pretty much only do in a striaght line in the wheelchair, so have to go into one of the bedrooms to turn around, and it's almost impossible to get into the bathroom with it. And all of the counters are way to tall for someone in a wheelchair, when I'm sitting in it they're nose or chin level. And the stove has all the controls behind all of the burners, so there's no way to turn it on by myself when I'm in the chair without burning the hell out of myself.
Oh and of course after struggling to navigate through the house and needing to repeatedly call my mom for help, my legs decided to start working again as I was pulling myself out of the wheelchair and back over to the couch. :brickwall:
The way things are working right now is that pretty much every time I sit down they're stopping working and it's taking as much as two or three hours of trying to finally get them going again, and when they are working their weak and wobbly, so I'm having to either hold myself up or lean against something or use crutches.
PLEASE go see a doctor!
 
There's no point, when this happened before they couldn't find a cause, so they just said it was all in my head, and they even sent me to a shrink who said I didn't have the kind of psycholgical issues that would cause these kind of issue. But even though that didn't fit, they still kept insisting that's what it was.
We spent I think possibly as much as a year or two going to a bunch of different doctors and got nowhere.
So at that point we gave up, and figured out the diet thing on our own.
The thing that really annoyed us was they did a whole crapload of tests, most of them came back with abnormalities, but they kept insisting that none of that had anything to do with what was going on. I had a high ANA, which usually means you have an autoimmune disorder, had nerve damage in my hands and feet, and I think a few other things.
Ohe high ANA makes us wonder if I do have some kind of autoimmune disorder that is set off by my diet and then attacks my nerves, or something along those lines.
I'm not sure if they're effected by diet, but I did learn the other day that there is a whole category of conditions called neuroimmune disorders, where your autoimmune system attacks your nerves and/or brain. So that kind of thing is very possible.
My family also never does things the normal way, almost any time we do have medical conditions our symptoms tend present themselves in weird ways.
 
Something that's just frustrated me, but a couple of days ago, I found out about a new series of a tv show. I'd evidently missed every single advertisement for it (It's a streaming one - so I can watch it now, but it hurts)

The problem is, it's one of several streaming shows my dad and I watched together. One, he missed the final two episodes of. Two, currently airing, I knew he'll have never got to see the current seasons of, but if I'd have known about this one when it first streamed, we could have seen it together:(
 
It blows my mind that all of Happy Days hasn't been released, and of what has been released, some of the original music is still missing. This show came out in the 70s.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top