Things that frustrate us all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Those ahead and who signal in advance have the right of way. You do not have the right to speed u pand cut somebody off. You cannot "side swip" a vehicle behind you; the vehicle has to be at you side.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Nope. Before making a lane change you must make sure the way is clear. Turning on a signal does not give you the right to just shove over into other people's lanes just because they are not ahead or apace of your vehicle.

Don't believe me? ask a cop.

WraithDukat likes this.
  3. Vorpal_Blade

Vorpal_Blade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's weird. But it seems to me that pickup truck drivers in the state of Nebraska like to drive at least 5 miles under the speed limit. That irks me to no end. Also, it is late at night when I get off work and there are several dimbulbs around here that insist on driving with their bights on.

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a bakery in my neighbourhood that frequently annoys me by putting an apostrophe in front of any S on their advertisements (which they'd spell adverti'sement's) Argh!!!!!
    This week I finally broke and undertook a desperate effort to explain basic grammatical rules to them. Their reaction was "ah! surely you are a [imply utterly despised, meddling and very annoying] teacher!"
    Never in my whole life was I more tempted to scream "No, damn it! I'm just someone who learned spelling at primary school!"

Really, what's the world coming to if people don't even master their native language and teacher is a swearword?! I shudder to think that these are the people who'll decide the fates of nations (and pay our pensions) one day.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yep, try changing lanes on a Motorway, it's the reposibility of the driver changing lanes to make sure the lane they want to move into is clear. Not saying the other driver isn't an idiot.

Well to be fair not everyone is great when it comes to the written word, some people are better at maths than they are with words. But still I take your point if its every S the odd mistake can be more easily overlooked than making the same mistake time after time.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. rhubarbodendron

^I perhaps ought to have mentioned that this occured in Germany. In German, an apostrophe is hardly ever used. You're lucky to encounter more than one in a 3 volume novel.
    This new fashion of using them appears to be an attempt to ape English/American spelling. People seem to think it modish. Frankly, it's just embarassing as they rape two languages in one go (and in 4 inch letters, I might add...)

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That's similar to American product names with unnecessary accent marks, like the invented name Häagen-Dazs or the Plymouth Volaré (a car made in the 1970s). I guess we unsophisticated Yanks are supposed to think anything with an accent mark has a European flair.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Use of accent marks isn't always unnecessary as it changes the pronounciation of a word. It's only unnessary if the word is pronounced how it would be without the mark.

9. rhubarbodendron

I couldn't agree more, MacLeod. Though scotpens' revelation turns the tragedy into a comedy, to some extent.

Right, scotpens! I totally overlooked that last time I was in the US. LOL isn't it hilarious that both countries think it cool to use each other's punctuations? Reminds me a bit of cows in a meadow: the grass on the other side of the fence is always much greener and juicier :D
    [​IMG]

10. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

People who drive way under the speed limit and also people who just sit at a light when it turns green instead of moving.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure the list of things that annoy drivers runs something like this

People who speed

People who drive too slow (which you can also be done for)

People who fail to indicate

People who fail to give way when you have right of way

Middle lane hoggers

People who drive at 40 no matter if the limit is 30 or 60

People who speed up when you try and overtake

People who use front fog lights when it's not the right conditions

People who forgot to turn off their full beams when you are approaching them at night

I could know doubt go on.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  12. rhubarbodendron

please don't hold back :) This thread is specifically made for ranting and letting off steam!
    I encountered several species from your list on the highway today.

My argh of the day: over at the DS9 forum I offered people to post their questions to Terry Farrell and I'd ask her for them when I meet her coming Saturday. Result: 1 rude comment for me misspelling Terry (hey, Terri Pratchett never ended in an Y either and he even got knighted!) and one nicer poster who mistook my tongue-in-cheek reply for being serious and desperately tried to prevent me from asking Terry why she's spelled the way she is (friendly chap, but maybe a trifle too serious :) ).
    It would appear that a sense of humour is neither mandatory nor expected for posting at DS9.

Still, my offer stands and of course extends to everybody here at MISC, too:
    if there is something you always wanted to ask Terry Farrell, please post it in this thread in the DS9 Forum or simply PM me and I'll ask her for you. I'll post or PM the replies on Monday next week. (Please mind the deadline for entering questions: coming Saturday, March 18th, 4 pm GMT! After that I'll be at the con and shan't have internet access.)

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

When people are closed-minded about doing things differently, and expect things to be done the ordinary way that everyone else does them.

Kor

14. rhubarbodendron

yep. That's one of the strengths of children: they often find solutions that experts overlook, simply because they haven't yet learned the standard procedures and therefore develop their own methods.

I recall sampling a shallow river with a tribe of brownies (girl scouts) once and they discovered a species of mayflies hitherto not documented for that river. They simply had looked where no expert would have dreamt of suspecting mayflies. Ever since I've been trying to always sample every single habitat, not just the usual suspects.

Kor likes this.
  15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ȋ hãvė ãlŵăŷš fēļť ţħăt åcçeñt mäřķś ġĭve ƫhê ŵŗĭtŧeņ wõrđ å špečiāl åïr õf diĝňĭtŷ ąñđ ŗēşpėċtäbïlîťÿ.

Köř

16. rhubarbodendron

LOL it certainly is esthetically interesting. Reminds me a little bit of Armenian

17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got 3 to start with and I hope everyone else has some fun ones as well:

1 On the message board all the Trek shows seem to be listed in order of what time period they were set in. Starting with "Enterprise" and ending with "Voyager." Problem is "Discovery" is placed after "Enterprise" when the canon issue hasn't even been resolved and if the show is canon but in a alternate universe I wonder if it should still be listed in that spot.

2 I'm sick of alternative jerseys in pro sports, except maybe a few throwback jerseys once in awhile. I'm sorry but the 49ERS shouldn't be wearing black uniforms and the Redskins should never wear their yellow pants when they wear their maroon tops.

3 To many backup dancers with modern musicans. Bill Maher was right a few years ago. You can almost judge how talented a singer is by the amount of dancers they have swaying in the background. The great ones usually have none. Then the untalented ones have a whole posse of them.

Jason

18. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I'm still annoyed by this, even though it was a month or two ago.

So, I'm walking through Wal-Mart and my eyes spot a new cereal: Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes.

Yes.

Both cereals in one box. Just the marshmallows from Lucky Charms, mixed with Frosted Flakes. clearly, there must be a God.

So, I buy it even though it was four dollars before taxes. I love the marshmallows and Frosted Flakes are so soft and sugary, they're a dream.

Well, the frustration set in upon opening the box.
    Opening it I spent time after time digging through it for the marshallows. Why? Because this box that eliminates the bits of Lucky Charms nobody cares about and only uses the marshmallows, had barely any fucking marshmallows in it! It had less than a regular box of Lucky Charms. Much less. I don't mean a slight bit less.

Then the frustration was compounded over what apparently Frosted Flakes is now:
    Not flaky, hard and cruncky, shaped like a shrunk Pringle, with barely any sugar in it and looking like it contains more grains than sugar. This isn't Frosted Flakes. This is what cheap knock-offs are supposed to be. Hell, I probably can't even say that -- cheap knock-offs probably taste way way better now!

Fuck that Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes combo box. In the ass. With the biggest goddamn brick that can be found until Tony the tiger squeal like a little piggy. Then Lucky is next.

Never again will I buy that. Never again will I buy Frosted Flakes since this is what it is now.

It would have been cheaper and yielded more marshmallows to simply buy a smaller box of Lucky Charms.

EDIT:

Another Wal-Mart story.

So, I go up to the deli. This new guy is behind the counter. I asked for a dollar's worth of a certain kind of chicken.

He picks up a cup, which has a fixed price of $2.50. I re-state what I wanted and point to a plastic container that would hold the amount, sitting on top of the food holders. He picks up the plastic demonstration container. I tell him that's for costumers to look at -- there are plastic continers mere inches from him stacked up. He grabs one.

Then he starts scooping up a different kind of chicken. I re-state my order a third fucking time.
    His excuse? "Man, you're still throwing me off"

Then before I can approve of the price, he rings me up and slaps on a sticker for $1.44 worth of the chicken I asked for. $0.44 over what I asked for three fucking times.
    Don't do drugs, kids.

Then a day or so ago I get this cashier:

She opens up her register and tells people she can ring them up. She enters her number incorrectly like half a dozen times. Meanwhile I'm standing there, having placed my items on the belt with the bar code facing toward me so when she picks it up she doesn't have to look for it, with the "Lane Closed" sign behind my food, since I so generously picked it up and brought it to her since she was apparently incapable.

Then she rings me up and gives me my change back, but moves her had before I've secured it so change drops into a bag. Then a mere few feet away I have to turn around because she gave me two dollars back instead of the seventeen dollars I was owed back. She's already ringing up another person, so I have to wait for that to finish and for her to get a CSM to open the register.

The CSM also has to turn back on the register light, because instead of doing what Wal-Mart employees are supposed to do, set the light to flash on and off, indicating they need help from a CSM, she shut it off.

Again, don't do drugs, kids.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

You're very brave to continue to carry on in the face of such adversity, Tharp. I would have just thrown in the towel after the whole Frosted Flakey Charms crisis, myself.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I know it varies from brand to brand, but I find that "off brand" products are just as good, if not better, than their name brand counterparts.