Things that frustrate us all

I'm sorry for what I'm about to say, but I have to get it of my chest. I don't understand parents these days, I saw a mother taking her daughter to a exhibition about the titanic.

She was maybe 5 years old and crying the whole time, probably from exhaustion. Yesterday, I went to see the Swan Lake and there was a 3 year old who did not sit straight and kept whispering the whole time.

How hard is it to think about your child and think "she's crying from exhaustion, I should take her home" or "my child is too young for this she won't remember it" or "I should arrange a baby sitter" it really pisses me off

Kids cry. Sometimes for no reason at all.

Also, you don't know the situation behind that trip to the Titanic exhibit. For all you know, the kid really wanted to go, they drove hours to get there, spent hard earned money to get in, and then something set the kid off to make them cry. What are the parents to do? Throw away all the time, money and effort to get there? Or let the kid cry it out for a bit, which is sometimes what you need to do.

Last edited:
Kids cry. Sometimes for no reason at all.

Also, you don't know the situation behind that trip to the Titanic exhibit. For all you know, the kid really wanted to go, they drove hours to get there, spent hard earned money to get in, and than something set the kid off to make them cry. What are the parents to do? Throw away all the time, money and effort to get there? Or let the kid cry it out for a bit, which is sometimes what you need to do.

I can see both sides of the argument. But, I imagine, we were all those kids when we were growing up. Crying just because it seemed like the thing to do, with no rhyme or reason. It can be frustrating sometimes as an adult.

It's happened to me.

My kid was about 5 when he wanted to go to the Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto. It was all he talked about for weeks and weeks.

So we booked our time, drove the two hours to get there, through what is considered some of the worst traffic in North America, only for my beloved kid to throw a fit because the drive took so long and the sharks were scary.

This was dispite all our efforts to make the drive fun. Dispite us making sure he had lots of sleep. Dispite us showing him videos of the place to know what to expect.

So we let him cry it out. After 20 minutes or so, he got it out of his system and started to enjoy himself. By the end, he was his normal happy self.

Were my wife and I was supposed to let this crying fit ruin the entire day and let the whole day go to waste?

Fuck that. Kids cry. They get over it. Life goes on

That aquarium is really cool, BTW.

Just thought I'd put that out there. ;)

@HotRod, I don't suppose you had the time to visit the ROM? The museum with a front entrance that looks like a crashed Borg cube? :lol:

I've seen kids just cry on the drop of the hat then five minutes later, all is well like it never happened. :shrug:

My kids were really weird. Always very well behaved when out of the house, but so, so bad in it. My daughter could throw temper tantrums that would make a banshee weep.

Speaking personally, my children have filled my life with so much joy. They've brought so much to me (and hopefully, I've brought so much to them as well). I can't possibly imagine a world where they don't exist.

But some people don't want children... and that's OK. I'm never going to try to shame someone for being childless by choice. A child is a commitment that never ends. If you know yourself well enough to know that you don't want that commitment, for whatever reason--it's your choice, and your reasons are your own--then good on you for realizing that before bringing a child into the world.

@Fantasy Lover is right, some people have children with the thought that the maternal or paternal instinct will just "kick in"... and it never does. There are people out there who deeply do regret having children. Not everyone is cut out for parenthood, and it's probably not a great situation for the child to be dependent on a parent who regrets having them.

I don't know if men experience the same societal pressure that women do to have children. But society needs to stop with that, right now.

I would literally rather hold an armload of horse manure than a baby. There, I've said it. :ack:

I have no problem with holding babies, as such. As long as they ain't mine.

When my youngest niece was 2 weeks old, I was over at my brother's house and was in fact holding the baby. After awhile I wanted to get up and walk around. So I had to call my nephew into the room and tell him "Could you tell mommy to come in and get the baby? I'm afraid to move."

I really was afraid to move. As we all know, newborn babies are so fragile that if you are holding one and make even the slightest wrong move, you could hurt them.

So my sister-in-law comes into the room and, WITH ONE ARM, flawlessly and seamlessly picks up the baby and carries her away.

I just stared, fishlike. :lol:

Last edited:
I knew from when I was about 12 that I didn't want kids. There is so much pressure on women! I'm thrilled I'm past the age where I have to worry about it anymore. I'm an "auntie" to my friends' kids, and I love it.
I was 10, but for me it was the Belgian version of suppernanny. There was this one kid who kept whining about wanting a reindeer hat, those parents had the patience of a Saint, I would would have brought the damn thing to keep him from whining. It strongly reminded me of this commercial:

i got three daughters, btw from three different women*, and i won't want to miss one of them

---

* as i was never stOOpid enough enough to marry any of the them i'm on great terms with all of them (they all showed up at m 60th birthday last november)

Last edited:
I'm sorry for what I'm about to say, but I have to get it of my chest. I don't understand parents these days, I saw a mother taking her daughter to a exhibition about the titanic.

She was maybe 5 years old and crying the whole time, probably from exhaustion. Yesterday, I went to see the Swan Lake and there was a 3 year old who did not sit straight and kept whispering the whole time.

How hard is it to think about your child and think "she's crying from exhaustion, I should take her home" or "my child is too young for this she won't remember it" or "I should arrange a baby sitter" it really pisses me off
Parents don't think. Sorry to say. I see it a lot.

To become a parent is one of the easiest jobs to end up in, yet one of the hardest to actually do. It is 24/7, on call, managing your own emotions and the emotions of a smaller human who doesn't understand. People try to logic their kids, try to reason with them, try to make them understand and they cannot. Children reason differently, work differently, and it requires a willingness to meet them at their level than demand they behave.

The fucked up thing is that too few parents realize this until it is requires a lot more work on their part.

Back