Things that frustrate us all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, for fuck's sake, not this shit about the Denver airport again... :brickwall:

Link

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

^ an alternative fact they forgot to tidy up after Trump. No surprise - there were so many that a few were bound to get missed. :hugegrin:

3. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

Not so much a frustration as an annoyance - cars where the entire back end is covered in bumper stickers, especially faded political ones.

Do I really need to see an "Obama '08" sticker 14 years after the fact?

Or stickers with some pithy political slogan that pretty much sums up what channel you watch and your level of intelligence.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This reminded me of something that drives me nuts, when you see one of those lists of silly meme pictures, and there's one specific one that caught your eye, but when you go to the list, it's not there. It's false advertising and it pisses me off when I fall for it.
    Or those "sponsored" articles you see on some sites that are complete bullshit. I saw one last night that talked Jay Leno living with his partner, and showed a picture of him and a man, so out of curiosity I looked him up on Wikiepdia and he's been married to a woman since 1980. There was another one with some former child actor and it headline was about seeing what they look like now, and showed a person who looked like they probably weighed around 300lbs or 400lbs, but when I looked them on Wikipedia they were in thin and looked absolutely nothing like the person in the picture with the article. I never actually click on the articles, I know most of them are scam pages trying to steal my info, but it still annoys me that they're so full of shit.

Commander Troi likes this.
  5. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This one never gets old. :guffaw:

Got one on my bumper.

[​IMG]

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use Hotmail/Outlook. I don't know how long ago this started, but for the browser, an ad appears at the top that looks like an email but you can tell it isn't, plus it says AD next to it (and you won't see it on your smartphone mail app since it's not an email). Kind of annoying but not the worst thing in the world. I thought I turned it off but that's not an option, just that you can make the ads targeted or not targeted. What is an option is to pay Microsoft $19.95 a year to not see ads.

Random_Spock and rhubarbodendron like this.
  7. rhubarbodendron

^ try a different mail client, for example Thunderbird. That one is free of charges and free of ads.

Argh of the day: my washing machine just broke. It's one of these narrow ones where you load the laundry in from the top. Apparently, when it spun the lid opened and got jammed at the very bottom of the machine. The drum is hanging face down, won't move a mycrometer and will have to be removed as a whole or cut open and exchanged for a new one. The mechanic will have a look at it on Tuesday morning since on Monday I'll be out sampling all day. Until then I'll try to dry the laundry with a hairdryer through the little holes in the drum to avoid mold. Of course this happens the one time a year when I wash a down-filled pillow which takes ages to dry. And my best jeans :wah:

8. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hope your jeans are safe

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heading toward the store entrance, there's a guy in front of us on his phone the whole time not paying attention to the world around him. Then he comes to a complete stop in front of the entrance, still staring at the phone.

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

That's when you go all Bugs Bunny, by and say, rather loudly, "Excuse me! Pardon me! Just trying to get through the door! Terribly sorry! Watch your step! Coming through! Sorry!"

Commander Troi and shapeshifter like this.
  11. rhubarbodendron

I'd stick with the roadrunner and go "meep-meep!"

@Gary Mitchell Alas, no. The darned drum is hopelessly stuck with the opening downwards so that I can't get at the wet laundry. Overnight I use a homesewn pad filled with moisture absorbing granulate and tomorrow I'll try blowing hot air through the perforation of the drum with my hair drier. The drier I get the laundry from the outside, the better are the chances that it won't get moldy till Tuesday when the mechanic comes to disassemble the machine.
    Murphy's Law sure doesn't do things by halves.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  12. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

The Illegitimate Supreme Court. :mad:

13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And they probably drive like they walk, taking forever to make a turn while their rear ends continue blocking traffic.

Seems harsh but they're like animals, you gotta speak sharply to get them moving.

"Hello! Walking here! "Please move to the side! "Thaaaank you!"

If you don't get their attention quickly and firmly they will go into, 'take even longer' mode. lol

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Sounds like you have one of those washing machines with a vertical drum and a sliding door to load/unload laundry. I had one of those when I lived in Israel and thought it was weird. How common is that type of washing machine in Europe? In the U.S., every clothes washer I've seen is either top loading or front loading.

15. rhubarbodendron

Mine is a normal top loader with two flap doors that interlock. The sliding door sounds risky to me. It'd be bound to open unexpectedly, I imagine.
    The vast majority over here use a front loader becaust that type can be built under a table or have a drier stacked on top.
    Top loaders are rare and therefore expensive. I only use one because my bathroom is too tiny for a normal sized front loader.
    I've never seen one of the sliding opening type, so I guess they aren't very common here.

16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I have to admit, I've had difficulty envisioning how this issue even worked, but @scotpens 's post helped to clear it up. So it sounds like, regardless of the type of door, your top-loading machine still spins the drum like a front-loader, perpendicular to the floor, correct? That explains how the opening could wind up on the bottom, which is what I've had trouble wrapping my head around.

So something like this, right?

[​IMG]

Whereas the normal top loader ones we see here in North America have a drum that spins parallel to the floor.

[​IMG]

One of the great things about these ones is that if they break (or the power goes out or something), you can just open the lid and pull the laundry out (without needing to worry about dumping water all over your floor). The downside, IIRC, is that it uses more water than a front-loader (or, I would assume, your version of a top loader too).

I don't think I've ever seen one like yours over here, although admittedly I haven't had to look for washing machines for a number of years, so they may be more common now?

JD and rhubarbodendron like this.
  17. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hate when I go somewhere, like a mall, open the door to go in, and some clown walks through and says thank you like I was opening it for them and not to let myself in.

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like it was designed to wash clothes on the Space Station!

Commander Troi and Avro Arrow like this.
  19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

We went shopping for a few new appliances for our new house in the past few months, and I have NEVER seen a washer that looked even remotely like that.

20. rhubarbodendron

interesting difference between our countries! I've never seen one of the American type before. :wtf: It looks rather like a spin dryer from the 60s looked on the inside.
    [​IMG]
    My washing machine looks almost exactly like the one in the first pic. the drum and lock are identical.
    With the drum rotating around a horizontal axis, the gravity helps getting the water out at the bottom so that you can use a lower spin and a weaker pump. Also, you need far less water as the laundry is kindof moved through a puddle at the bottom of the drum like frontloaders do, whereas the US type of toploader would have to fill up higher and cover the laundry completely.
    Maybe that's why your type of toploader is so unpopular over here. Electricity and water are expensive so that energetic efficiency and low water use are very important to us.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Commander Troi and Avro Arrow like this.