Things that frustrate us all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I agree. It's very stupid.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who the actual fuck is this "Brian Laundrie", and why should anyone give a crap? Really kind of sick of hearing his name every ten fucking seconds. :rolleyes:

3. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    Recycling Deposits or more precisely, getting recycling deposits back.

Most recycling centers have limited hours and usually aren't open on weekends. All too often, you are not paid directly, but receive a little receipt that you then must go inside another store to get your money.

The recycling deposit is charged per item, but the refunds are based on weight. With many manufacturers making lighter and thinner bottles, you're getting screwed. While you can receive refunds based on actual counts, you are limited to 50 items per day. The refund "vending" machines do refund based on count, but often break, are limited to brands carried by the store where the machines are located, and require container to be uncrushed so the label can be scanned but takes up more space prior to recycling.

4. Commander Troi

I'm frustrated with the ways I keep frustrating myself!

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Is this some kind of weird joke?

In case you are serious, he's a so-called "person of interest" in his girlfriend's murder. The case garnered international attention. He is currently missing, and law enforcement is searching for him.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

No.

Why? Thousands of people go missing every day.

7. Commander Troi

I haven't heard of him either @Dr. San Guinary. Of course, I've been avoiding news for several months now. Wonderfully refreshing. :biggrin:

8. Non Sync

Thousands of people don't go missing after coming home without their girlfriend, driving her van, using her credit/debit card, and she later is found dead of strangulation.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

If you are asking why the disappearance of Gabby Petito, a young white woman, gained international attention, when there are so many cases of missing Black women, Indigenous women, and other women of colour who get little to no media attention at all... yes, I agree with you! This is a problem.

The solution, of course, is to raise awareness and bring attention to all missing women and victims of gendered violence.

10. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm of the opinion that it was the brazen way he came home and kicked around the home ground with the parents for a couple of weeks as if nothing had happened that caught peoples attention.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

What's the matter, is the dead woman and the fugitive cutting in on your precious 19 hours a day of watching baseball and Law & Order?

Besides being a young, white, attractive woman, and thus receiving extra attention (as compared to the 710 missing indigenous people in Wyoming since 2011 who received virtually no coverage) due to Missing White Woman Syndrome (but the solution is not to pay less attention to her case, but more attention to POCs and others, but that's unfortunate for you, 'cause it'll mean cutting into more baseball time), the following factors also contributed to this being such a highly publicized case:

- She and her fiancee were already semi-well known YouTube / Instagram "influencers" for their "van-life" vlog traveling across the country, so they had a built-in following.
    - There were numerous pieces of audio/video evidence to play on social and conventional media, including their own vlog posts, home videos, a police traffic stop bodycam, a 9-1-1 call, weird coded language texts from the victim to her mother that appear to be made under duress, other TikTok and Instagram posters who had spotted them or him to share their accounts, etc. which makes it perfectly attuned for broadcast or streaming presentation.
    - The unusual circumstances of the disappearance and aftermath make for perfect true crime documentary fodder on Netflix or Hulu.
    - The fact that the fiancee and his family (if he had told them) refused to mention anything about her whereabouts drew protests and a huge media presence.
    - That he is still a wanted fugitive from justice and people have been detained in cases of mistaken identity.

It's not an ordinary run-of-the-mill case, nor is it over with yet, hence the additional coverage.

And lastly, maybe we should care because it's a human being that was murdered, so you can deal with a momentary inconvenience when a news alert comes up on your TV or phone.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Velocity, Avro Arrow, BK613 and 2 others like this.
  12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

You just know the only reason iPhone doesn’t have a feature to mute specific apps and prevent other apps from stopping your music is cause they don’t want users to be able to mute ads.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

That’s a pretty sanctimonious sentiment. Suggesting that anyone who doesn’t individually mourn each of the millions of people hurt every day is just being callous.

The way the news chooses what to cover arguably is bad for people’s emotional health because it creates an inflated sense of frequency of danger. It’s totally morally reasonable what you can to make the world safer when you can without fixating on every tragedy that happens to a stranger. Not wanting to spend time on the story doesn’t mean you don’t care, it might just mean you know you can’t make it any better and choose to conserve your emotional resources for situations you do have power to improve.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Brian Laundrie was found dead too, so we probably won't be hearing about him much longer.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

There's a difference between personally not caring about something and making a big public show about how much you don't care about it, and asking why anyone else should care about it, especially when we're talking about a person's life.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

UPS handed my package off to the post office on Saturday and now it's just floating around in the abyss. Tracking number doesn't indicate they got it. Did they just miss scanning it? Did they lose it? Is this part of the DeJoy corruption at work?

Commander Troi likes this.
  17. Commander Troi

Probably. My local post office is horribly understaffed. :thumbdown:

shapeshifter likes this.
  18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BUT, BUT, what about all the commercials now airing touting how much better they are and the many planned improvements pipelined for the near future!

Yeah, right. Only thing being pipelined is US.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

I have little sympathy for people who hold grudges.

20. Non Sync

There are people in this world who do not love their fellow man and I hate those people.
    Tom Lehrer