Things that frustrate us all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I've ran out of butter, because I've ran out of butter I have an overwhelming urge for bread, toast specifically, but I've no fucking butter
    I can't be fucking arsed walking out into the cold and wet to go to the shop and get more butter.
    Frustrating is an understatement.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

^do you have some cream at home? Sour cream or normal - either works. Whip the cream and then over-whip it: if you whip it too long, it'll get grainy. These grains are butter. Strain the mess through a sieve, knead the butter a bit to get the remaining water out and - hey presto! - you have butter :) (Gourmets prefer the one made from sour cream)

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.

I work, from my home, only a few days a week--Saturday thru Wednesday; most of the time, it's Sat, Sun, Mon--and maybe part of Tuesday, if I'm lucky. My job is in educational testing. My company has testing sites all over the world but the majority of them are in China, where thousands and thousands of people take a certain exam that is required (by most universities and companies) to prove English proficiency on multiple levels. February is a pretty slow month, since most people have already submitted their applications by then, but there is always a steady trickle of tests coming through.

We just got an email that the Chinese government has ordered the testing sites in mainland China closed, due to the large groups of people that gather inside to take the exams, as a measure to slow the spread of the virus outbreak. "Scoring schedules for the month of February may be disinvited and/or modified."

Fuck. Me.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  4. Delta Vega

I'm not going to lie to you rhubarb, but if I've no butter in my fridge, the likelihood of having normal or sour cream is absolutely zero.

5. rhubarbodendron

LOL I see. In case you have a freezer I recommend you store some butter there for emergencies.

My frustration today is only small in comparism: we have a very strong storm today and the elevator shaft at my office catches the draft (drought in GB). The result is a deafening yowl that is audible throughout the building. It's very vexing when you try to concentrate on dissecting a tiny insect.

6. Delta Vega

Actually
    It's draught :techman:;)
    I hate the wind

7. rhubarbodendron

darned! I keep confusing draught and drought. Is there any mnemonic trick you can recommend to solve this problem?

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well... I primarily think of the other meaning of "draught," having to do with a delicious, frothy ale to quench one's thirst, whereas "drought" means a prolonged shortage of water, which could also lead to a shortage of said frothy ale because of the effect on the barley harvest and the unavailability of water for brewing in sufficient quantities. :beer:

Kor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  9. Delta Vega

Don't lose sleep over it dude :)

10. rhubarbodendron

lol you'd fit in perfectly, here in Bavaria ;)
    I am aware of the different meanings. It's the respective spelling I can't recall. But you gave me an idea: drought is spelled with an o like in trocken (dry, arid) while draught is spelled with an a like nass (wet). If I manage to remember that, it should do the trick :D

Does that mean you will earn less if you have to work less because of the Chinese ban on gatherings? If it doesn't make a difference on your pay, it might actually be nice to have more time/a smaller workload.
    Btw, would those exams by any chance be the CPE or are they TOEFL?
    The poor students :( Postponing their exams means they won't be able to apply in time and thus lose a full semester :(

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  11. auntiehill

We are paid by the hour. I supervise TOEFL scoring. If shifts are canceled 24hrs or more in advance, we make NOTHING. Zero.

The test-takers are also screwed; they miss another semester (or more), or miss out on jobs, or other certifications.

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Losing one's voice is very frustrating when you think you've taken all precautions to avoid it. At least I'm now on a break. But :scream::scream::scream::censored::censored::censored::klingon::klingon::klingon:

13. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

:(

{{{HUGS}}}

14. Delta Vega

I can think of a few people I wouldn't mind if they lost their voice.

15. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

{{{HUGS}}} Thanks, Sibyl.

Sibyl likes this.
  16. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

When heavy storms prevent you from getting to work........ On the other hand: an unplanned day at home? Just poured myself another coffee.

Sibyl and Gary Mitchell like this.
  17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

When you somehow scrape your knuckle on something without realizing it, and then you're getting blood on stuff without realizing it. :o

Kor

18. auntiehill

*Ouch!*

Being home alone for days on end with nothing to do and no one to talk to, except your cat, and he's not much of conversationalist--except perhaps regarding his views on philosophy and ethical non-naturalism.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  19. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know what you mean. Sometimes I have Alexa tell me stupid jokes.

20. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Went to the store to buy some wrapping paper to wrap my granddaughter's birthday present. When I came out, I went to my car but this one couldn't be mine, because this car had a bashed in area. Oh no! It WAS my car! Some creep had bashed into it and left without leaving a note or anything. A hit and run! Grrrr!