They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed John Carter quite a bit. I actually found it's multiple framing stories quite unique and almost mysterious. They gave the film some credibility it probably wouldn't have had. I blame the film's failure on both Disney and the - actually - the audiences who seem to want only what they are familiar with in name and style.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Stanton is a pretty egregious case of arrogance and under-preparation. A large part of Pixar's storied reputation is due to the fact that, since they don't have to work around actors' schedules and the logistical difficulties of filming, they can keep tweaking their projects until they're satisfied. A large part of WALL-E's third act was completely redone, for example, and from what I've read no one ever really got a handle on the story for Brave.

The New Yorker ran a long profile on Stanton last year, and since he lives in my home county (but isn't a native), I hate to say it, but he came across as a first-class pompous ass, all but bragging that he'd told Disney execs from the get-go that John Carter reshoots would be necessary, as he "wouldn't get it right" on his first pass. Well, he didn't get it anywhere close to right on the second pass, either. As with most movies, the original sin was (his) lousy script.

And while I don't doubt, on the basis of the evidence, that Bird is a much better live-action director than Stanton, it's worth noting that Bird has neither screenwriting nor story credit on Ghost Protocol.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, I don't think Stanton did Brave.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen the film and wasn't intending to offer a view on its merits. My point was simply that I believe that Stanton's insistence on filming it in the same way as he would have done an animated movie proved to be expensive and problematic for the studio.

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I own it on DVD an enjoy it quite a bit. Sure it has some flaws but there are far worse movies out there.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved John Carter when I saw it in theaters, and I would love to see Stanton direct some more live action stuff like it. I blame it's failure on Disney's poor marketing and lack of support.
    I didn't realize that the creation process was that different. I guess I was thinking more of what we see on screen, and didn't really consider what goes into putting those images on the screen.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He did not. It was directed by Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman, and written by them, Steve Purcell, and Irene Mecchi.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Quite. But a careful reading of my paragraph will show that I never suggested that he did.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^But it's easy to see how the paragraph gives that impression, since it's in the middle of a discussion about Stanton without any clear markers of a change in focus.