They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess greed has penetrated the WB shield, and they want to see the same numbers Disney/ Marvel saw with the Avengers.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Avengers (it was a fine and fun comic book film, but as a regular movie, it was pretty routine, even force) and the films that led to it were fun but at times unfulfilling, and the teases to the Avengers didn't constitute a thread so much as a few lines that talk of something that was supposed to be bigger, but at least Marvel still put the effort to create a build-up to the film. That's why it was a success. My theory is that the 'standard' comic book film is something people don't want to see.. (look at Green Lantern, or the only marginal hype for Amazing Spider-Man) but if there is a decent build up to it,then people will want to see how it plays.

It just seems that WB is just trying to follow suit. The suits are getting nervous.

2. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Mmmh, what could motivate the WB?

Holy shit! I know!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  3. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I knew this was going to happen. Everybody was saying: "No you can't do an ensemble superhero movie without five or six standalones building up to BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!" I was right and you suckas were wrong! :p

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

You beat by a couple of minutes. What I posted in the other thread:

From Variety:
    Mark Millar made this comment on his site:
    The box office of The Avengers will certainly further spur WB on, but there was never any doubt, or at least there shouldn't have been, that they would have another crack at developing a Justice League movie, and Beall has been working on this since The Avengers was in production, not just since its release.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

A friend of the screenwriter's says that his friend's screenplay sounds cool? Well, color me convinced! Guess I'll go out and buy a few Green Lantern blu-rays, because quality filmmaking should be supported from its very inception! :rolleyes: :p

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Since there hasn't been a Flash, Wonder Woman, or Martian Manhunter movie, and GL bombed, but WB have generally had better luck with Superman and Batman.... It strikes me that they'd surely be wiser to do a World's Finest movie now than a Justice League one.

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I'll take it seriously when/if they start filming. In the meantime, I look forward to all the discussions regarding potential actors and costume-designs.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Variety article also revealed that Michael Goldenberg is working on a Wonder Woman script.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Maybe they can hire Joss Whedon to direct this thing. :lol:

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The guy who wrote(co-wrote) the screenplay for Reynolds Green Lantern?
    Great, proof you can fail upwards yet again.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

He also wrote Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and co-wrote Peter Pan and Contact. Should Hollywood be one strike and you're out, even when you've had previous success? David Goyer and Joss Whedon wouldn't have been available to work on Batman Begins and The Avengers if that was the case.

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I agree with lonemagpie give us a Worlds Finest movie that could build into a Justice League movie.

13. Captain Craig

I haven't seen any of the Potter films so no comment.
    I don't have a high opinion of Peter Pan.
    Contact was so long ago I don't recall specifics. That was the Jodie Foster movie right?

Of course it shouldn't be one strike you're out. I would debate, if I were a WB guy in a boardroom somewhere, the seriousness of taking a screen writer from an underperforming recent superhero flick(GL) and transplanting them to another so soon.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Damn right. It is a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of the writer in the Hollywood feature film industry to assume that the credited screenwriter is solely or even primarily responsible for the final content of a movie. It's much more of a committee-driven process, with lots of different people (some writers, some not) contributing content and often competing with each other, and who actually gets credit often has more to do with politics and arbitrary rules than the actual level of contribution. Not to mention that there's no mechanism in place for safeguarding a screenwriter's script against wholesale alteration by directors, editors, improvising actors, etc.

You can see that in Joss Whedon's own history. He got sole screenplay credit for the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer feature, but what ended up on screen was a corrupted travesty of what he actually wrote. Conversely, Graham Yost got sole script credit for Speed even though script doctor Whedon wrote virtually every line of dialogue in the entire film (with just the plot structure being Yost's).

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The most innocuous thing will keep this from ever happening. The setting for the final battle. Marvel has a go-to in New York, NY. DC has Gotham City, Coast City, Central City, Star City, Metropolis, Bludhaven, blah blah blah. Just picking the right fake city for the denoument will cause fights that will shelve the stupid thing.

They should have been prepping for this all along alongside Marvel. Starting now just because is going to leave 'em sucking hind tit forever.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Depends on the circumstances. Consider that Goldenberg was one of four writers on Green Lantern and writers usually have to shape their work based on the input of any number of other people involved in any given project.

17. Captain Craig

Obviously Christopher you carry a closer opinion on such things being a writer.
    What I'm looking at is a guy who hasn't done anything I've seen that sets me on fire.
    People all the time gauge early excitement by who is handed screenplays, director duties and soundtrack treatments. It's not unexpected that this happens. Maybe his Potter is brilliant, I don't know.

I know many, many thought giving Whedon Avengers was questionable. Not to me cause I see his talent. Maybe for this project(WW), he'll wow me.

Moving on-I know we've mentioned that Worlds Finest idea before. That should happen first. Be a good "beta" test for a JL movie I've thought.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hiring someone to write a script is a long way from greenlighting a movie. Regardless, with JLA you can get by without all the setup movies because the main characters are better known by the public to begin with. At least by name.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I'd much rather see them go straight to a Justice League movie than test the waters with World's Finest first.

20. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think this could work, introducing all or most of the actors/characters in a single movie. I doubt it would lead to the exact reverse of Marvel. Meaning EVERY single JLA member getting a solo film. Just the ones that ones are very popular.

Just look how much demand there is for a new solo Hulk film after The Avengers. But even than they are cautious based on the first two movies. So I could see skepticism on WB's part about a Green Lantern movie outside of the JLA. Regardless of who plays the part, Reynolds or someone else.

But if characters like Wonder Woman and the Flash are very popular it would work to give them their own movies.