The X-Men Cinematic Universe (General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DigificWriter, May 1, 2016.

1. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Xavier (much more the Stewart version) but got tired of him and I've long been tired of so much Wolverine overexposure.

DoFP and Apocalypse and next DP are sequels to a prequel and either also prequels or some weird kind of loose reboot, alternate past.

Anwar and crookeddy like this.
  2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

By that logic, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith aren't prequels.

crookeddy and Thestral like this.
  3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sequels and prequels aren't mutually exclusive.

Thestral likes this.
  4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

A Prequel is a story that is set before an already-existing story and that is directly connected to said story.

Of the XMCU films, only Origins Wolverine and First Class meet both those criteria.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There has never been a long enough gap, or a drastic enough shift in the movies for there to have been a rebirth or reboot or any of that.

6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

In my head canon, "Once Upon a Deadpool" is the sequel to "The Princess Bride."

Kor

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am more with Anwar on this... The Last Stand kinda ended the trilogy in a whimper/bad taste in people's mouths... Killing out Xavier & Cyclops , almost out of nowhere. Jean Grey not having the emotional impact it should.

I think that led to some of the lack of enthusiasm for X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

And i would call it a sort of rebirth (or understand why Anwar would say that). The very title shows the intention of creating a new movie series, like the intent late with Solo: A STAR WARS STORY.

Wasn't Gambit (which we are STILL waiting for!) supposed to be one of those in the Origin series? Nothing really came of it until First Class, which was kinda like X-Men Origins, but of a bunch of 'em at once.

And a "soft reboot" (a term with multiple interpretations) in that we had new cast members replacing familiar characters' actors.

A little like Kelvin Trek... not necessarily dumping all of the previous, but definitely new versions of old characters.

Yeah, Trek wasn't consistent, but that was more TOS, back when they didnt care about continuity too much, and had no idea it would continue 50 years later.

Because quality and feel have felt all over the place (Apocalype for example...we brought two 6 year olds to see it -- didn't know someone's throat was going to be slashed -- don't remember that intensity from the 1st 2 movies!), that makes it harder for people to sweep over inconsistencies .

Turtletrekker and Anwar like this.
  8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if they were ever gonna start hyping this thing!

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't particularly want to be down on this movie, but so far nothing I've seen of 'Dark Phoenix' has me enthused.
    I kind of feel sorry for McAvoy as he's much better in this role than the material he's been given to work with and I really hope Marvel with keep him on after the merger.

Thestral and Turtletrekker like this.
  11. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see marvel keeping any of the actors on post merger. They need their version of the x-men to feel new and interesting and not in any way like an extension of a different series that was already facing diminishing returns anyway.

The only way it would really make sense would be if the actor was SO successful/synonymous with the character that keeping them would be a serious draw and dropping them a serious pr problem. But the only ones who ever rose to that level were Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds, and Jackman is already done and Reynolds' character isn't exactly MCU friendly.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't disagree, I just think it's a shame is all.

I think with Jackman it's a case of never say never if the right script comes along, but yeah, I'd be very surprised if that happens within the next decade or so.

I could also see them maybe *possibly* getting Dafne Keen back as X-23 since 1) she'd be older by the time they get around to it and as such will have just enough distance from 'Logan' and 2) we never saw her as a fully realised hero, just what was basically her origin story, so they could introduce her much like they did with Spider-Man, i.e., with the assumption that the audience already has the gist of the character's background, if not their specific version of those events.

Ryan Reynolds on the other hand I see zero problem with just dropping him into the MCU as is. Mostly because Deadpool being Deadpool he'll break the 4th wall and point out he's the only one to have survived the Fox merger. You could even work his foul language into the PG13 movies by just bleeping it out and having him hear the bleeps and get increasingly frustrated with them, to the utter bewilderment of everyone else around him.
    I mean after Ragnarok, he'd be a perfect fit for a Thor movie, no?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Marsden and OCD Geek like this.
  13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Psst... I wanna let you in on a little secret

Xavier didn't die

14. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would love to see Keen, but I fear it won't happen.

Reynolds could absolutely make pg work (if he wanted to, at least), but it would a pr nightmare of titanic proportions. 'Disney is censoring Deadpool!', etc.

I think it could work if Deadpool could keep his movies r rated and do pg crossovers, but I don't think Disney would allow an r rated series to connect to the mcu. I suspect either DP will continue on with no mcu ties at all or he'll disappear until they think they can get away with recasting.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think it'd work if they made the censorship a part of the joke, make fun of said censorship while still sticking to it.

The problem with just having him continue on on his own is that it'd essentially be it's own sub-MCU since Colossus, NSTW and the X mansion are all integrated parts of that world.
    To me, it seems even less likely that Disney would go for a separate MCU than going for a PG13 Ryan Reynolds.

Too early to tell yet, but his upcoming role in the Pikachu movie (of all things!) could convince Disney he can pull it off. If it does well of course.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  16. DigificWriter

It's already been stated that the Deadpool series will continue post-Merger.

OCD Geek likes this.
  17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It'll all be like "Once Upon a Deadpool."

Kor

18. DigificWriter

Which was the entire point of releasing that in the first place.

To make sure that there was an audience for a lower-rated Deadpool franchise.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was it? I thought it was to raise money for charity ;-)

Also, Disney has stated on multiple occasions (as you like to say) that they are ok with making R-rated Deadpool movies.

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I seem to remember that they talked about keeping Deadpool rated R and just releasing it under a separate (but Disney owned) brand or something like that. Once Upon a Deadpool is not something I can see them getting away with for a potential Deadpool 3. Disney won't release Rated r movies under the "Disney" brand, but they've released higher rated stuff before, just not under the Walt Disney Studios banner.

Since Deadpool is an established (and money making) R rated franchise, I can see Disney just doing that. Its not like the talk of Black Widow being R rated, since she's a pre established hero in the PG-13 rated movies.

OCD Geek likes this.