The X-Men Cinematic Universe (General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DigificWriter, May 1, 2016.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Fox is really shooting itself in the foot here, leaving DP where it was...was probably their best move because if they moved it to Spring it'd have to compete with Captain Marvel and Avengers 4. But now it'll be competing with Godzilla and Toy Story 4 and Secret Life 2. Having 2 Fox films compete with themselves was better than having their last big FoX-Men film be utterly annihilated by the competition.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Sometimes I wonder if Fox is deliberately trying to dilute the X-Men property before handing it back to Marvel.

Anwar likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where does that come from? I haven't seen anything at all to indicate it won't be released. Obviously right now they must be planning to release it since not only did they release the trailer, but there's been a slowly build up of promotion for a while now, and they did reshoots fairly recently. That seems like an awful lot of work for a movie they have no intention of releasing.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I would be surprised if they don’t release it. But, releasing a trailer with a date and then immediately changing it, does sort of suggest where on the totem pole FOX has the franchise compared to their other projects. I can see them giving it a luke warm PR campaign.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Disney didn't know that they were going to release this trailer as they want to shut this movie down. A phone call later, and the movie is "rescheduled".

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Disney has no control over anything Fox does yet, this is all on Fox.

7. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Against TS4 is pretty bad but I would hope X-Men would strongly succeed against this Godzilla (I thought the '14 film was pretty disliked or at least polarizing, "a Godzilla movie without Godzilla" a pretty common reaction) and Pets.

8. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

The new Godzilla movie has a few things going for it. Skull Island was pretty successful, people love Vera Farmiga and the new writer/director is the dude that made Trick 'r Treat & Krampus. Plus it has good buzz, great trailers and is a name IP. If it receives critical acclaim it will do very well.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Grendelsbayne and The Nth Doctor like this.
  9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And it's got the girl from Stranger Things too.

10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know why people are so quick to assume that Dark Phoenix has no chance in June, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

11. crookeddy

You certainly should not be surprised, given that Apocalypse didn't do well.

Anwar and OCD Geek like this.
  12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I already figured it wouldn't be good from history and Kinberg's comments on how he's "grounding" the story.

13. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Had Days of Future Past been the most recent mainline X-Men film (or Logan, if you consider it a part of the main series like I do rather than a Wolverine spin-off) I think it would have done just fine in December OR June. But after the piss poor reception of Apocalypse among critics and fans, not to mention Days of Future Past and Logan both providing a fuck ton of closure, all bets are off.

For a lot of people, Apocalypse wasn't just a bad X-Men film. It felt like the movie equivalent of a half-assed post-script season. Keeping the series going for purely financial reasons despite the story being long since finished. That feeling combined with everyone, even non-geeks, knowing this is the (unplanned) final Fox X-Men film makes for one hell of an uphill battle.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would Disney want to shut it down?

OCD Geek likes this.
  15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Up against Godzilla, it's got no chance with me. I still have faith in Legendary that I don't have anymore in Fox - especially Kinberg. And KotM has easily one of the best trailers of the year, whereas this one is, eh, fine. Not really exciting. If I wasn't already an X-Men fan I wouldn't have really even noticed this film based on that trailer. Add in the likely possibility that this movie has been seriously altered and revamped on the fly due to the merger changing future plans, and there's no way I'd spend my time and money here instead of with Godzilla.

But I don't even think Godzilla is their main competition. KotM has major box office potential if it's good - better than X-Men, given the current state of the respective franchises - but Toy Story 4 will slap X-Men around effortlessly regardless of quality.

16. crookeddy

Disney is looking to reboot the X-Men ASAP. The further in people's collective memories this version of X-Men is, the easier time Disney will have to reboot.

17. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Citation needed. Disney already has extensive plans for phase 4 that were laid out without any involvement from the X-Men. And Guardians 3 meltdown aside, every indication so far is that they're sticking to those plans. I don't expect to see an MCU X-Men flick until 2024-2025 at the earliest. With this merger, Marvel has the luxury of taking their time and getting things right and they don't need a huge influx of new characters yet. Plenty of time to leave Dark Phoenix behind.

The Nth Doctor and OCD Geek like this.
  18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Even if Fox isn't, as I sometimes suspect, trying to dilute the X-Men brand, there is nothing, as has been stated several times, that Disney can do about it.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. crookeddy

Fox is a dead man walking. Why would anyone want to do something to hurt a possible future employer? All these people will be looking for jobs soon, you know.

20. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The movie has already been made and the money spent. Even if it flops they loose less then not releasing it at all.

Grendelsbayne and OCD Geek like this.