The Worf Effect: Nerf or Nothing

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by M.A.C.O., Dec 25, 2018.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

As most of you are aware, TNG was not kind to Worf when it came to displays of combat. I found this video recently and it left me distressed.

DS9 corrected most of the above wrongs, but I wanted to see if there were exaggerated on TNG. I don't have the time to go back and rewatch 178 episodes and 4 movies were of material though.

I know the best combat feats for Worf in TNG can be found in:
    Reunion: Killing Duras
    Parallels: Winning first place in a bat'leth tournament.
    First Contact: CQC against Borg on the interior and exterior of the ship.

I'm sure there are more. Would you all help me find them?

2. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Some of those are taken out of the original context, perhaps with humorous intent. Danar, for example, was a unique enemy.

Lance and Qonundrum like this.
  3. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my favorite scenes with Worf smacking someone was in Violations- when he appears in the doorway and sort of disdainfully drops the mental rapist with a lightly delivered open palm to the guy's grape.

Lance, Jedman67 and Tosk like this.
  4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Worf wouldn’t get beat up so much if he didn’t keep attacking super strong energy beings.

Lance likes this.
  5. dave2770

dave2770 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The reason worf was made that way was for the writers to make humans and the federation look so much superior with their peaceful ways and their superior morality and "intellect" and make Worf who's always trying to get violent and attack and judge/persecute others look bad.

Its human bias

Lance likes this.
  6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's a dramatic shorthand for quickly establishing the enemy of the week as a threat. Have them pick the biggest and most aggressive fighter in the room and then easily kick their ass. TNG perhaps relied on the trope a bit too often.

Lance and Qonundrum like this.
  7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Yep, and it's quite a staple with Wolverine and other characters in comics... probably doesn't help that in Wolverine's case, his healing ability has become pretty wacky over the years in the hands of various writers. :lol:

Lance likes this.