The Walking Dead Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 26, 2014.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't have a back story with Eugene, but too many (even those who know nothing about the comics) dismiss Eugene as a fraud, and Abraham as a moron for supporting him. We have no idea how or why Abraham believes Eugene---what was said or revealed to make two ex-soldiers risk their lives to protect him.

Somehow, some find it easy to dismiss a man who (at least) rattled off some explanation for the cure, but accept the improbability of two men living in the woods (crawling with walker hordes) having no experience fighting and/or killing walkers after two years into the ZA.

2. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a feeling we'll get at least a partial answer tonight.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Going back to the previous episode for a moment, why couldn't Beth and that guy just go out a window down to the ground instead of through the elevator hellmouth into the zombie basement? Going through that basement really didn't seem like the better option in any scenario.

Back to the current episode, Eugene doesn't even strike me as being smarter than... well, anyone except possibly Abraham and Apocalypse Barbie. They should have made him come across a little more competent, because it's entirely unbelievable that intelligent people like Glenn and Maggie wouldn't see that he's full of shit right away.

4. TREK_GOD_1

Police guards acting as spotters--to prevent anyone from doing exactly what Beth & Noah attempted?

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

In the comics, he is smart:

He's a Chemistry teacher and presumably has enough university level knowledge to BS his way through until people become suspicious.

6. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...and hes still a fraud...

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Finally! Eugene's been slinging bullshit for weeks and finally admitted it!

8. TREK_GOD_1

Poor Eugene. He should have continued on with giving others hope...and yeah, saving his own butt.

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, I knew that. What I mean is, none of that intelligence is reflected in his character, apart from the fact that he keeps on telling us how smart he is. He says he's a great liar, but the character is not. It's a writing/directing criticism, because they never convincingly depicted him as someone that was particularly intelligent, even though he was supposed to be, despite obviously being full of shit.

Anyway, I didn't expect Eugene's lie to be exposed so quickly, but I'm glad they got it out of the way, because it made everyone else look stupid.

The didn't have the manpower to cover the whole hospital exterior, and no one opened fire on them as they escaped through the parking lot.

It was basically just a decision to make them go through the scary basement, which is fine, but didn't seem like an option most people would easily consider.

10. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well... Thank god they got that shit out of the way. I couldn't have stomached another minute of the ongoing bullshit, & I never even read the comic. We may have given some depth to Abe as to why he'd unquestioningly follow this crapfest, but it still doesn't come close to explaining why the same is true for e v e r y o n e

Meh, besides the reveal & it's impact on Abe, the episode was pretty weak. Plus, the walkers' skulls would have to be the consistency of warm jello for a high pressure hose to rip through them like that. I don't even think their bones could support the weight of a human body if they were that soft

11. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We TrekBBS users are waaay too educated for the Walking Dead universe.

With the lack of Trek fans, and no google, I can see why the scientific BS seemed plausible.

I too think the Eugene reveal could've been delayed by an episode or two, but also fit in with the theme/story of the episode.

Also, The Talking Dead is a whole lot of fun tonight!

12. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

A little surprised Eugene's nonsense was revealed so soon, however there aren't that many episodes left until the Fall finale. Liking that threads I thought would drag on all season are reaching conclusion at a decent pace. Very curious to see where this season goes.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

There were a few times his intelligence shone through, in the first episode this season trying to use the remains of the flash-grenade to open the box-car door, here in this episode improvising something to start a fire, putting the glass-shards in the fuel-tank of the bus to cause an engine failure. There's been a couple others of these little "Mr. Wizard" moments of him improvising a solution to something or seeming to have "some" degree of knowledge, so it always seemed to be he was smart just not "street smart" or smart enough to survive in this world without having to lie his way through it.

And, yes, finally they reveal Eugene is full of shit. His semi-answers that were non-sensical really should have tipped people off a long time ago. Abraham I could see falling for it since he very clearly had tunnel vision. But that Rosita bought it for so long, but maybe she got blindness-by-proxy given her closeness with Abraham but it's hard to believe Glenn and everyone else was falling for it. Though, it did seem Glenn was falling off the bus (no pun) after talking with Eugene.

Wonder where it goes from here with them. Do they head back to that town and set-up shop and wait for Rick and the others? Do they get another car to find another route to Washington? Do they follow their same route back to the church in order to intercept Rick's group?

And next week's Walking Dead spoilers based on a clip shown during "Talking Dead"

Who was in the death shroud? After the clip plays Chris says it was a "Beth-sized body" but it didn't quite seem like it to me. And this is probably the most "What the?!" the Talking Dead sneak-peak has gotten. So who was Daryl carrying? Beth? Another character we met or saw during the Beth episode? A character we've not met yet? I sort-of doubt it was Beth since the actress was on Talkind Dead last week and I would think that if she were on killed in this episode they'd put her on TTD next week for her goodbyes. (Though, Bob didn't get such an honor.)

"Abraham" and "Eugene" did make for great Talking Dead guests.

That's almost a trope we have to roll with when it comes to this series and genre. The episode where Bob died Tyrese uses Sasha's pocket-knife to stab into Bob's brain, through his temple. This is when Bob has *just* died so we can't hand-wave any decomposition. Stabbing through the skull with a pocket-knife I can't imagine would be very easy.

Here, we are dealing with walkers who've been rotting for the better part of 2 years, and though we've been told the decomposition is very slowed with the walkers compared to a "normal" corpse, it's still occurring. (Though suggest maybe it's stayed off if the walkers stay "fed.") Maybe these walkers were trapped in the firehouse for a long enough time. "unfed", they were sufficiently decomposed for the pressure of the fire-hose to pose a "lethal" threat to them. Their body structure being "strong" enough for them to walk and stand but only *just* the hose was enough to push them over the line.

Think of a very thin cracker, cookie, sheet of candy, ice or something along those lines. You handle it delicately enough and it remains intact. You might be able to balance it on something or balance it upright and so long as the forces acting on it to keep it standing/balanced doesn't surpass it's limits it'll remain intact. Test those limits and it crumbles/shatters.

The pressure on those hoses is, however, very, very, very strong. Though I'm sure it requires the engine of the truck running in order to operate the pumps that provide the pressure and means to expel the water through the water-turret.

14. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We TrekBBS users are waaay too educated for the Walking Dead universe. With the lack of Trek fans, and no google, I can see why the scientific BS seemed plausible. I too think the Eugene reveal could've been delayed by an episode or two, but also fit in with the theme/story of the episode. Also, The Talking Dead is a whole lot of fun tonight!

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno... it could be that the walker virus causes everyone's head to soften. That would explain why they all believed Eugene's nonsense for so long. And why they make so many stupid decisions in general. :p

By the way, there's no way that bus would flip like an outtake from "The A-Team." Their speed was visibly no more than 40 mph the whole time. The engine trouble (plus all the weaving around) would have slowed them even further.

At least we were spared a Hollywood-style explosion of a diesel fuel tank. :rolleyes:

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They left out a part of Abraham's story.

Prior to meeting up with the survivors, Abraham was living with his family in a community of locals in a grocery store, hiding from the undead. One day after returning from a scavenge mission at the local depot, he discovered his wife and daughter had been raped by the rest of the community and his son had been held down to watch. Abraham killed the culprits with his bare hands, practically turning one boy inside out, while his family watched. His family ran away from him that night, terrified of Abraham. The next day he found their eaten bodies and the undead body of his daughter, whom Abraham shot in the face.

17. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lol for Eugene peeping in the library. Don't have someone to hook up with? You'll enjoy the Self-Help section.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

His corpse won't reanimate... meaning he's the cure! So they'll go around carrying his body like Weekend at Bernie's until they reach DC. :lol:

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The actor who plays Abraham mentioned more details on the back-story on "Talking Dead." I guess just for the sake of brevity they had to leave quite a bit out, but it seems like they could have done more to show what was going on, instead it sort-of seems like Abraham beat-up those men pretty much for little good reason.

20. TREK_GOD_1

After the on-screen final chapter of Joe's gang, this backstory would have been too much, too soon for audiences.