The unnecessary reboot/remake of the week thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Foxhot, Sep 10, 2019.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Exceptional service in the national interest
    You know, it's better than I thought it was. Catherine Zeta Jones plays a great villain. It's very much in line with the movies, as far as tropes go, but the acting is pretty good and the writing isn't bad. Overall, it's worth the watch if you liked the movies.

fireproof78 likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like it needs to go in the que.

marillion likes this.
  3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Only Frasier and Horses? I hope we get a Davids Jason and Hyde-Pierce sitcom in opposition to this https://trib.al/GZQEZW5?fbclid=IwAR031Fgk9HzEeiYDDCL90XO3e5hcim_uhBYISxBYR1D5fyy1mlaUfUvVxw4

Edit - also joining the cast is a new version of Frasier’s son, now going by Freddy, rather than Frederick, as he formerly did. Sounds like he will be replacing Martin as the blue-collar relative that Frasier butts heads with https://deadline.com/2023/01/frasie...paramount-plus-nicholas-lyndhurst-1235221548/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as he keeps quoting Klingon, I'm down! :D

And while Niles won't be part of the main cast, I could see them doing a reunion type of show the same way they did with the Cheers cast on Frasier.

5. SithHappens

SithHappens Captain Captain

Total surprise to see Nicholas Lyndhurst cast. Looking forward to it even more now, Frasier was one of my favourite ever shows as were Only Fools and Goodnight Sweetheart so really pleased about this.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  6. SithHappens

Season 10 wasn't considered one of the best but that scene were he does the speech in Klingon was very funny, i remember properly laughing out loud.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

As much as Frasier was the star of the show, Niles and Daphne were the heart and soul of it. I hope they find some way to recapture that feeling.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  8. SithHappens

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the whole episode was great. The Bar-Mitzvah in Klingon was genius.

On another subject on reboots and sequels, I've been thinking lately that with all of these sequel series, one that could work would be a Due South sequel where the scenario is flipped. I would call it Due North, following Ray Vecchio's son or daughter (He married, retired, and moved to Florida) who has followed in their father's footsteps in becoming a cop. An investigation would lead them towards needing the help of someone in Canada, enter now retired RCMP Constable Benton Fraser who reluctantly agrees to help shepherd them through the culture and differences of working in Canada while helping them in their case.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The main character is interesting. Her friends are annoying.

11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Admiral Admiral

Might be better to try and capture another feeling with different character interactions. If they try to do Frasier without the Frasier cast it would be the same kind of mistake as if they had tried to make Frasier into a Cheers type of show.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you think Frasier from Frasier would even recognize Frasier from Cheers? That Frasier drank beer and watched sports.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Punk Premium Member

So, he does have a little Martin in him.

14. SithHappens

That Frasier was in there during Frasier. I think he was more influenced by Niles than the other way round. There was a number of times, usually without Niles in tow, that Frasier was happy to enjoy a beer.

In the Flashback episode 'You can go home again' showing Frasier just after he arrived in Seattle hes is much more like his Cheers version, even down to just ordering a Black Coffee.

15. Jayson1

Jayson1 Admiral Admiral

Also I am thinking his relationship with Dianne and then Lilith made him kind of want to escape to a kind of simple fun place like the bar. If I recall when we first saw Fraser on Cheers he was kind of snooty and more like he would become on Fraser.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

17. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Exceptional service in the national interest
    My thoughts on this are torn. I REALLY wanted a direct follow up to Legacy. I loved the ideas they initially had going forward with it, but as time has passed, I don't know how they can do that. I would still like elements/cast members from Legacy, but we'll see.

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Watched some The 90s Show ( spinoff from The 70s Show)

If you skip it you won't miss much. Everyone does the same, the kids are politically correct cast ( some caucasian, an african american, asians and one also covers the gay checkbox), the kids characters are to a degree carbon copies of the original kids and it's mildly to not very funny.

There's absolutely no originality here and they didn't even try and just rely on the 70s nostalgia and fans to keep the show going including guest appearances from the original cast sans Danny Masterson/Hyde, who is Persona Non Grata in Hollywood after his sexual assault charges ( which also got him kicked out of Kutcher's The Ranch a while back).

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched the pilot episode last night. It was ok. It was nice to see the old cast back with their witty (?) banter, and Topher Grace looks like he hasn’t aged a day. However, when it came to the new kid cast, I felt like I was watching an episode of Drake & Josh or iCarly. And that’s the inherent problem: That ‘70’s Show had adults playing the kids, and this show has kids playing kids. It’s not as funny to an adult audience. Or at least those kids need to be WAY funnier than what I saw.