The unnecessary reboot/remake of the week thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also I am thinking his relationship with Dianne and then Lilith made him kind of want to escape to a kind of simple fun place like the bar. If I recall when we first saw Fraser on Cheers he was kind of snooty and more like he would become on Fraser.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

My thoughts on this are torn. I REALLY wanted a direct follow up to Legacy. I loved the ideas they initially had going forward with it, but as time has passed, I don't know how they can do that. I would still like elements/cast members from Legacy, but we'll see.

Markonian likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Watched some The 90s Show ( spinoff from The 70s Show)

If you skip it you won't miss much. Everyone does the same, the kids are politically correct cast ( some caucasian, an african american, asians and one also covers the gay checkbox), the kids characters are to a degree carbon copies of the original kids and it's mildly to not very funny.

There's absolutely no originality here and they didn't even try and just rely on the 70s nostalgia and fans to keep the show going including guest appearances from the original cast sans Danny Masterson/Hyde, who is Persona Non Grata in Hollywood after his sexual assault charges ( which also got him kicked out of Kutcher's The Ranch a while back).

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Watched the pilot episode last night. It was ok. It was nice to see the old cast back with their witty (?) banter, and Topher Grace looks like he hasn’t aged a day. However, when it came to the new kid cast, I felt like I was watching an episode of Drake & Josh or iCarly. And that’s the inherent problem: That ‘70’s Show had adults playing the kids, and this show has kids playing kids. It’s not as funny to an adult audience. Or at least those kids need to be WAY funnier than what I saw.

7. Jayson1

I haven't seen the show but from what I have seen from the trailers those kids are no way 90's kids. 90's kids had a edge to us. We were the last rebels. Well I wasn't but my Generation was. They seem way to happy in the trailers. Were is their fuck society and the Man attitude? Does any of that happen on the show?

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Every generation thinks their generation invented the "fuck the man" attitude.
    they didn't
    I binged the show over the last couple of days and quite enjoyed it. The old cast was in fine form and as usual Red and Kitty were the stand outs, Of course it helps that they are regulars, while the 70's "kid" were just guest-stars. Fez and Donna got the most material, Kelso, Jackie and Eric were basically cameos. The 90's kids were all quite good. And I think is was a good choice to have teens play teenagers. yeah they were "remixes" of the orginals. But the originals were all stock teen archetypes that go back to Archie and before. The 90210 fantasy sequence was hilarious.

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

First off, we two have very differing memories of the 90s. Secondly, the last rebels?! Have you paid any attention the last decade or so? Or do Occupy Wall Street, BLM, Fridays for Future, The Last Generation and the various sub-movements not qualify as having "fuck society and the Man" attitudes?

10. fireproof78

Not with my friends in the 90s.

11. FPAlpha

I just wished they would have separated the kids a bit more from their 70s counterparts. The Kelso kid was equally simple his dad and the Foreman kid was as awkward as her dad. Different character trait would have been appreciated and less stereotypes like the bitchy gay dude ( i have never encountered a gay guy who was like a TV bitch personalitywise).

It wasn't a trainwreck but i sure don't see this lasting for 8 seasons as the original. I'm currently watching the 70s show and it still makes me laugh out loud, all the actors had that certain charm and the chemistry in the cast was undeniable from day one.

Let's see how this goes when and if it gets a second season, Netflix has cancelled more interesting shows for less and kept others afloat that no one was interested in, so who knows what they will do.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

While I actually find his character funny (or at least how he delivers his lines), the gay kid seems entirely too gay for a '90's high school kid. I remember being in high school in the '90's, and I think there was exactly one kid who even remotely acted a little bit gay, and that was still not a good way to be acting in high school. And while I get that this particular group of kids consider themselves outcasts, the implication is that this kid acts like this all the time, whether he's privately hanging out with his friends or out in public. He's just too over-the-top, and I simply don't find it realistic for the time period.

And I call him 'the gay kid' not because I'm singling him out. Because, quite frankly, other than Leia and Jay Kelso, I don't even remember these kids' names (and I only remember Jay Kelso's name for the obvious reasons.) I simply don't have any connection to them like I did with Eric, Donna, Kelso, Fez, Hyde and Jackie.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  13. Jayson1

Me either. I was more of loner and shy around people to really be cool or hip. But I noticed it in the other kids. Both in grade school in the 80's and high school in the 90's.

14. FPAlpha

Yeah, i know exactly one gay guy i went to school with and he came out quite a bit after we graduated, this was mid 90s. Flaming gay guys ( for lack of better description) were not that widespread in the 90s for fear of backlash, that is not as much the case 25+ years later though most homosexual people ( that i know) don't make a big fuss over it. It's an exaggeration for TV show purposes and i just wished they'd make them more "realistic", i.e. just normal people who happen to like the same sex.

15. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Holy shit that's a good one..........wait......were you serious?

fireproof78 and The Wormhole like this.
  16. fireproof78

Oh, I was never cool, but aside from one kid who though "Anarchy was cool" there was few rebels. Most rebellious thing was pot use. Beyond that, well, any rebelliousness was probably more accentuated in the 80s and the generation before us.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

SithHappens likes this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kathy Bates is... Matlock. For CBS.

Also, the EP of Elementary is making a show for CBS called Watson, but it has no connection to Elementary. And there will be no Sherlock Holmes because this show will take place after Moriarty has killed him. No pilot has been ordered. It will either go straight to series or never be heard from again.

CBS also wants to spin off the Elsbeth Tascioni character (played by Carrie Preston) from The Good Wife. A pilot has been ordered.

Showtime is eyeing a young Dexter prequel.