The Three-Body Problem (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Char Kais, Jan 10, 2024.

1. bdub76

bdub76 Captain Captain

I’m about half way through it. Feels like a lot is being cut out. Going to watch the other adaptation on Prime when I’m done. I don’t have time to read the books until later this year. And the books appear to divide people on Reddit with the biggest complaint being the lack of character depth.

Anyway, I’m enjoying it. But I’d prefer it at a slower pace.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The Chinese version covers the entire trilogy though so it still works out to about 10 episodes per novel. (EDIT: It seems I was mistaken about this.)

EDIT: I still need to watch this series, but some things are starting to leak out in headlines--including a detail that the climax of the book, which takes place close to the very end of the story, takes place in episode 5--so the story must be structured somewhat differently. This would make sense as I couldn't see the structure of the book working on screen when I read it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, according to the Wikipedia episode summaries and a New York Times review I found, it only adapts the first novel. To date, there have been no adaptations of The Dark Forest or Death's End.

4. theenglish

Really? Could have sworn I heard or read differently--TBH, I am happy about that news and will probably check out the other version sometime later in the year.

5. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Moderator

We finished the show last night. We enjoyed it. I felt sad for Will.

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Finished it too and i liked it a lot.

What i really love is the scope of the show - humanity has 400 years to prepare for a war against a much more powerful enemy that is able to watch every single one of their moves. It's a race against time even if 400 years seem like a long time but then again the aliens can manipulate multiple dimensions and create devices that allow instantaneous interstellar communication and humanity has to catch up to that level of technology while being sabotaged by a group working for the aliens.

I try to stay away from spoilers about future books ( and will probably fail) but i wonder if the show will stick to the present with the established characters or make big timejumps to show the development and leadup to the war. Many shows shy away from this for fear of losing their audience if they change up most of the cast but i hope they do.

Commander Troi likes this.
  7. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Moderator

It would make sense for them to jump forward in time. Although we know
    Wade is still expected to be around because of being frozen.

8. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

This is true, but even by the point when they're talking to Evans the Sophons have been on Earth for months, can apparently see everything and have created a complex narrative game. So I don't really buy them not understanding that 'Little Red Riding Hood' is a story. However I also get that it's showing how truly alien the San-Ti are.

SPOILERS FOR WHOLE SEASON

Overall I think I liked the show? I liked the big ideas and concepts and how far it goes with certain things. But it also felt like there was something missing. I wasn't completely convinced by all the characters and their relationship stuff was just "good enough" rather than compelling. Will's story probably worked the best but he's absent from the finale for understandable reasons. (I'm guessing his brain in space is somehow going to come back into play given how much time they spent on him.) Auggie doesn't really have much reason to be in the show after episode 5.

I haven't read the books but I definitely got the impression the show as rushing from plot point to plot point and I wish it had gone more in-depth at times. The stuff with the game felt like it should have been a bigger deal and I imagine it is in the books?

9. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally saw the whole season

I was a bit upset at first at the changes they did to the books' storyline. Like the ultra futuristic VR (the aliens don't share tech...). But then I realized they were doing a different take on the story, and it's just as valid.
    This was a bit funny, since the show runners have a reputation of being good only when sticking to the source material. But they pulled it off here. No major plot blunders that I can think of.

My main issue now is that the show just felt... dry. There wasn't much of narrative momentum. I wasn't pumped to start an new episode. Maybe it's a story better fitted to book form?

10. FPAlpha

I can't speak to the books since i never read them but i felt the mystery buildup very cool and not dry at all. Things were adding up episode by episode and the 5th one blew the lid open by showing what it's really about. After that the show kicked into high gear as everyone was scrambling to formulate a plan to defeat the aliens knowing they are listening in the whole time - quite an interesting conundrum.

Commander Troi and EyalM like this.
  11. Christopher

Which is evidence of at least one of two things: 1) reputations are overrated, and 2) learning curves are a thing.

Commander Troi and EyalM like this.
  12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The San-Ti really do like monologuing, don't they? They remind me of the Mysterons. However, as they don't comprehend
    deceit
    , perhaps that's to be expected.

13. FPAlpha

I've spoiled myself a little bit through Youtube and now i ask myself how they will do the books even remotely justice :lol:

The second book i can see being done well but at some point the storyline gets really crazy, if they ever get to tacke this it will be very interesting to see how they do it.

14. bdub76

bdub76 Captain Captain

I finished it. While I found it enjoyable, I still think a lot got cut from it. And if the Chinese version is only the first book, I’m going to hold off on watching more until I read at least the first book.

15. Christopher

I finally started watching this. The first episode is well-done, establishing a large cast of characters clearly and engagingly and raising the suspense effectively. The references to physics, and the characterizations of the scientists, are pretty well-handled. ("We were all that one kid.") I do wish there hadn't been so much smoking, though. Shouldn't that have gone out of style by now?

One bit that surprised me was when Liam Cunningham told Benedict Wong "This is your Last Chance Saloon." I thought that was a deep-cut reference to Doctor Who: "The Gunslingers," but apparently it's a common British expression based on a generic term from the Old West. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Chance_Saloon#As_a_metaphor

16. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Just finished and I enjoyed it.........sad it looks like chances for more MAY be in doubt considering the price tag and viewership.

17. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, I was surprised too. At one point I thought it was some kind of product placement. Even because it's a little more complicated shooting scenes where people are smoking (just think about maintaining the right cigarette length between takes).

18. Christopher

I don't think product placement for tobacco is legal. If you look at the credits of modern productions featuring smoking (presumably including this, though I didn't check), there's always a legal disclaimer that they didn't receive any compensation from tobacco companies.

Plus, they made a point of inserting a close-up on the warning label on the pack -- "Smoking will kill you. Quit now." Which is kind of the opposite of product placement, and was probably something they were required to do in order to get away with showing so much smoking, along with having dialogue about how "That stuff will kill you." They have to take care not to appear to be endorsing it, although that makes it annoying that they shove in so much of it anyway.

I don't think I've ever seen a production worry about things like that, details that only someone detail-obsessed like me would pay attention to. I've seen so many food and drink scenes where the number of bites in an apple or the amount of liquid in a glass changes from shot to shot, say, or even where a character's hair is arranged differently from shot to shot or a shirt is tucked in differently or something. Or where there's a cut between two different angles on the same character and their facial expression doesn't match. That one always bugs me.

And these days, if they do care about that, they can just fix it digitally.

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I liked it, and hope to see more, but it felt a bit short/incomplete. Like things had just started to happen when the season ended.

20. theenglish