Spoilers The Starfleet Museum

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by HotRod, Mar 6, 2023.

?

What ships will we see in the Starfleet Museum?

1. NX-01

36.0%
  2. NX Class Refit

51.7%
  3. TOS Constitution Class

50.6%
  4. DSC/SNW Constitution Class

13.5%
  5. Enterprise-A

84.3%
  6. Excelsior

51.7%
  7. Enterprise-D Saucer

59.6%
  8. Enterprise-E

13.5%
  9. Enterprise-B

16.9%
  10. Voyager

85.4%
  11. HMS Bounty

50.6%
  12. Kelvin Era Ships

5.6%
  13. Pioneer

24.7%
  14. Other

25.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was just thinking about this myself. Maybe even special events like guided tours of Enterprise A, Excelsior and Kronos One on the 100th anniversary of Khitomer. Dominion War theme visits on the 25th anniversary, etc.

DEWLine and Mark_Nguyen like this.
  2. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

I grew to like the JJPrise in ST09 and STID, the changes made in Beyond, while i understand why, were hideous.

3. adv1701

adv1701 Commander Red Shirt

I liked the Beyond version way better than the JJPrise.

Dahie, USS Artorius and saddestmoon like this.
  4. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Exactly how I feel. At first I had an almost guttural response to seeing it. I was taken aback by how different it was. But as I saw further images, I began to see how it really wasn't all that different. By the time I actually saw the film, and saw it in motion, I appreciated it all the more.

It's not my favorite Constitution, not by a long shot. But it's definitely a beautiful ship in its own right. That said, I hated the changes to it in Beyond, and the Kelvin Enterprise-A is kinda hideous. But that's me.

5. Racefuel

The scene of the Enterprise rising up out of the ocean in ID was just beautiful

The JJprise really kind of had the technological wonder aspect of Star Trek again, a bit fantastical. The prime universe ships are little more rooted in reality, which has its own quality

6. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

As well as the shot in the 2009 movie of the ship emerging from the rings of Saturn. That's an iconic shot.

saddestmoon and Search4 like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was the atmosphere of Titan IIRC

saddestmoon and Ronald Held like this.
  8. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

For me it was the "Enterprising Young Men" sequence. The pacing, the music, the effects..... everything was perfect in that scene. Say what you want about JJ, but I honestly think that was when Trek movies piqued.

9. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

That's right, with Saturn in the background.

saddestmoon and Tuskin38 like this.
  10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm not much of a fan of the Kelvin Enterprise design but the "Enterprising Young Men" sequence is very well-executed and a whole lot of fun. Boarding the ship for the first time via shuttlecraft and then watching the ship pull away from Spacedock and prepare to jump to warp is one of the best parts of the Kelvin Timeline movies.

11. Racefuel

ST09 revived Star Trek, as did Into Darkness.

Trek had been moldering in the grave since Enterprise shut down, primarily due to Nemesis.

People can rage at JJTrek..but it saved it.

12. Stuart Wilson

Stuart Wilson Lieutenant Red Shirt

I doubt it "saved" Trek. It may have hastened its return. But an IP like Star Trek was never going to stay down for long.
    Personally I don't like the Kelvin movies and I don't like the look of the Enterprise (any iteration) in them. Although the exterior is a bit better than the interior. The other Starfleet ships I love. Completely my opposite reaction to the first 2 seasons of Discovery. I liked the show, Love the Disco and SNW Enterprise and hated all the other Starfleet ships in Disco. I lost interest in Season 3 and I will get round to Season 4 one day I suppose...

Macintosh and cooleddie74 like this.
  13. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

They showed only the good angles of the JJ-Prise glossing over the fact that the proportions aren‘t really flattering.

14. Racefuel

ST09 and ID's Enterprise was seen from almost all angles.

The Beyond Enterprise...yeah..that was was more carefully managed.

15. ExtremeSail

ExtremeSail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, no need to get personal guys :(
    (Kidding!)

This is how I feel too, the general Constitution class configuration is my favourite and all the variations of it are different flavours. I love how both SNW and Kelvin Enterprises have a certain mid-century retro futuristic quality to them, both taking inspiration from around the 1960's when the original was designed. SNW Enterprise looks like a 50's/60's experimental plane/fighter jet with its sharp lines and aluminium-like hull, Kelvin Enterprise looks like 23rd century married with 60's retro sci-fi art with its clean lines and details and slightly more organic shapes.

But my absolute favourite is Ryan Church's concept art that we never saw properly translated on screen; it was well proportioned before the vfx guys tweaked it and the detailing leaned more TOS than Total Modification Programme.

[​IMG]

16. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sacrificing logic and plot for visual spectacle is kind of the problem though. While it did certainly look cool it made ZERO sense that the Enterprise would hide under water, and that conveniently the sea was sufficiently deep right next to the coast to allow it to fully submerge (the Abramsprise is about 165m tall; for reference, on Earth the average depths of the continental shelves is about 60m).

Ogrebear, Markonian and Ronald Held like this.
  17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'll take the sacrifice. Wouldn't be the first time. ;)

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Star Trek's almost always about sacrificing science and logic in the service of stories ABOUT sacrifice and logic. And I'm cool with that.

SJGardner, HotRod and fireproof78 like this.
  20. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So pleased to see 4 familiar ships in the museum.