Spoilers The Star Beast grade and discussion thread

How do you rate The Star Beast?

• Total voters
Fun episode, really enjoyable. And at the risk of sounding like I'm denigrating something else prop this up, I got to say this is something that someone like Terry Matalas should watch to see how you can nostalgia and revisiting the past correctly.
How is it pedantic to call out the fact that saying that "Ten and Donna are back" is false?

It isn't a minor thing that the Fourteenth Doctor isn't the same incarnation as the Tenth Doctor despite being physically identical and behaving nearly identically.
You really don't get it, do you? You always have to put on this act of getting in everyone's face to attempt to prove you're the smartest person in the room, which is why so many of us take such delight in pointing out each and every time you end up being proven wrong. But then, myself and others have attempted to explain this to you plenty of times before, and yet you Never. Seem. To. Learn. At all.
The trailers were largely about NPH as the villain and there was no hint of him whatsoever. Instead we got a CGI fluff toy as the bad guy who I couldn't take serious for a second.
I take it you're not familiar at all with Doctor Who ancillary material, like novels or more specifically in this case, comics? Because the title of this episode alone should have made it clear this was going to be about "a CGI fluff toy as the bad guy."

And yes, I am well aware of the irony of myself now acting like the smartest person in the room right after lecturing someone else for doing so.

End theme sounded more like someone breathing really heavily. Like an obese person in need of a breather after eating an entire bag of potato chips. That's crisps to you Brits.

Given that Wild Blue Yonder will clearly follow directly on that assertion seems doomed to fail almost immediately, but why would they put so much effort into building a console room that expansive just to use it once? :lol:

Given that we saw the console room catch on fire, thinking that it might be a one-and-done thing isn't unreasonable.

And with the budget (which isn't huge but is still significant in comparison to the show's usual monetary production allocation) bolstered by the Disney+ licensing deal, it wouldn't be that problematic to build a set like that just to destroy it shortly after showing it for the first time.

Pretty sure they won't ditch the new console room. But they might add a little wear and tear and get rid of that fresh out of factory look. Also I hope they add more stuff and decorations over time to turn it into a lived in space.

Edit:
Thoughts on the climax of the story. Anyone else notice how similar the setup was to the End of Time with the Doctor seperated by a glass wall and Wilf?
The Doctor reacts very similar to it complaining to the universe how unfair it is, only this time he knows he has to sacrifice his friend, not himself, which makes it even worse for him.

Last edited:
Fun episode, really enjoyable. And at the risk of sounding like I'm denigrating something else prop this up, I got to say this is something that someone like Terry Matalas should watch to see how you can nostalgia and revisiting the past correctly.

I think you can risk it. That's the best endorsement I can think of. :lol:

I'll check back later; won't be watching till later this evening my time.

For better and worse this is very RTD. My favorite bit was The Doctor noticing the car didn't take any damage which I was crying foul about for a second, ya got me there, Russell.

I'm not even sure I want to try to untwine the nonbinary bit at the end.

Re: the new console room, I'm not convinced that The Star Beast wasn't only its first appearance but also its last.

David Tennant was there while Millie and Ncuit were filming on the set

Around 1:17 time mark

You don't believe the spoilers but what I think happens is

Ncuti's will be the more lived in look with the jukebox added

14's is the "floor model" look. Prestine and untouched

I take it you're not familiar at all with Doctor Who ancillary material, like novels or more specifically in this case, comics? Because the title of this episode alone should have made it clear this was going to be about "a CGI fluff toy as the bad guy."

And yes, I am well aware of the irony of myself now acting like the smartest person in the room right after lecturing someone else for doing so.

No I don't read Doctor Who novels or comics so it wasn't clear to little old me.

This particular comic is over thirty years old and as mentioned above has also been adapted as a Big Finish audio. It's not obscure.
And I'm not a completist. Also, wouldn't that mean the Doctor has met the Meep before and know what it is?

Reactions: Jax
Back