The Spore Drive Technology. What Do You Think About It?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Kane_Steel, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nothing fake about magic mushrooms. Just read the later works of Timothy Leary.

2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely, and I think USS Einstein pretty well explained why this is.

INACTIVEUSS Einstein likes this.
  3. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes.

This is sci-fi, so it's all based on ones ability to suspend disbelief, but I find it hard to suspend disbelief when discussing the spore drive.

4. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice - spooge drive.

5. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

It would be a fun idea, if this show was set in the 25th century. Right now it is a totally pointless and meaningless idea.

T'Nara likes this.
  6. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Spore drive technology - Can I have extra cheese with it?

KirkusOveractus and Long Syntax like this.
  7. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Since there may also be mold involved, is it OK if it's blue cheese?

Nyotarules likes this.
  8. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel confident that by the end of the series there will be a satisfactory explanation as to why this technology is not used on future ships. I remember during ENT third season people here were grumbling about the expanse and why it is not seen or talked about in shows that happen in the future.

Feron, Psion and KirkusOveractus like this.
  9. KirkusOveractus

I agree. There will be some kind of ongoing problem that comes up, like what happened on the Glenn (to varying degrees). Lorca will want to continue trying it, Stamets won't, and it will be some kind of situation where Starfleet orders any and all such operations to be stopped in favor of exploration (since it's hoped that the war won't be going on beyond the first season).

10. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes. Until we know more.

Uranium isn't magic. Dilithium is just a surrogate fictional rare mineral.

Spores are basically mushroom cum, to exaggerate for comedic effect - the reproductive haploid cells of a mushroom have no conceivable value for FTL propulsion - unless these are Q-continuum non-corporeal energy-based mushrooms or something - in which case can they even be called a part of the domain eukaryota?

Longinus likes this.
  11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Dilithium has iron tunnels that allow the movement of atoms inside, which is a facet of nano-engineering since I was a science student at uni, we had posters showing supermaterials with atomic tunnels as decoration.

Fungi that is "in tune with the vibrations of the universe" is new age bullshit.

12. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

They aren’t real. They can be given any properties required to tell a story. This is a show, not a documentary about space travel.

13. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes sense. But I don't expect the technology to be a complete failure. Before it gets discontinued it will be used by Lorca to kick some Klingon ass.

Feron and KirkusOveractus like this.
  14. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

@Regina George - And yet, not to get into the same old argument that Christopher was having again, Star Trek has always tried to be on the believable side of drama - the series draft had a preface all about respect for realism. It has tripped up a few times but mainly been one of the better things on TV in this respect. So it's not an inconsequential distinction to make.

I would say it's fairly important to the show's identity and philosophy.

T'Nara likes this.
  15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Properties that existed in human sciences in the early 2000's at least (nano-tunnels), at institutions I attended. We didn't have a "universal fungus magic" building on the campus. If they did, they kept it a good secret from us.

16. kerchan

kerchan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's totally absurd.like potato spores or fungus spores or mould making it possible to go to the next star.It makes me queasy just to think of it.

Someone please get the writers a science education.

I mean it smacks of swords/sandals/sorcery/fantasy...

Maybe they were smoking magic mushrooms.

17. KirkusOveractus

Maybe it gets scrapped as part of a treaty? The Klingons get rid of the cloak that T'Kuvma developed, Starfleet gets rid of the Spore Drive.

Cyrus likes this.
  18. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm intrigued by it. Was the universe at stake? Maybe the ligaments of space time or whatever it was are in danger. The Klingons won't stand for an advantage like that, and the feds can't allow the Klingons, so its a scorched earth policy, but up the cosmic fundament.

Either that or its a sentient collective, or God. I only hope that Discovery isn't another BSG, I'd like there to be some rewatch value in it.

19. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I've heard of magic rocks that can be set on fire. Supposedly they could even power engines!

20. Red Shirt

Red Shirt Captain Captain

Mechanoid1 and Turtletrekker like this.