The Solar Eclipse Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by scotpens, Aug 7, 2017.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

[​IMG]

As we all know, a solar eclipse will be visible over most of North America on August 21st. I’ll be here in L.A., where the eclipse will begin around 9:00 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time and cover about 65-70 percent of the sun.

So, will you be able to see the upcoming eclipse? Will you be in the path of totality?

Have you previously witnessed a partial or total solar eclipse? Did it portend anything, uh, portentous? Share your eclipse experiences!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being in south Georgia, I'll be right along that "yellow line" of 0.9 magnitude, thus "near" totality. I've witnessed a "partial" eclipse in the same location several years ago, I "think" the 90s. But we've been experiencing so maybe summer thunderstorms, I fear thick clouds will obscure the event in this region.

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I specifically planned my visit to my family in Seattle to coincide. My mom and I taking an overnight trip down to Oregon to be in the path of totality. I'm very much looking forward to it!

Kitty Worrier likes this.
  4. O_Kav

O_Kav Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've never witnessed any kind of solar eclipse. Apparently only States on the North and Northeast Regions here in Brazil will be able to see it partially.

Wikipedia says we Brazilians will have to wait until 2028 for an annular eclipse and 2045 for a total eclipse. I guess I'll be waiting... :D

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

O_Kav likes this.
  6. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm heading to Nashville to view it. Back in the 1970's it was cloudy so I'm NOT missing this one, lol. Praying for good weather!!

7. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

I'm 20-25 miles outside the total eclipse band. Not sure I want to make the drive into the band because I know the roads will be a rolling parking lot.

8. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I was in high school, I cut class to look at an eclipse. I poked a pinhole in a styrofoam bowl and looked through it at the sun (NOT A GOOD IDEA!!). Part of the sun was black!!!

What we were supposed to do is punch a hole in a piece of paper and look at the shadow - you will see the sun shining through the hole but partially obscured by the moon.

Refuge likes this.
  9. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be in the Pittsburgh area. Probably not going to bother. It will be cloudy, if only because it is ALWAYS cloudy for ANYTHING astronomically interesting.

Might drive to Erie for the 2024 total eclipse though.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I wasn't aware of this.

11. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got my ISO-certified sunglasses. I live near San Francisco, but depending on the weather that day (foggy, overcast), I don't know what it's going to be like out here.

12. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Wish I was that close. :/ We've got a 3 hour drive to see it. We'll leave at 6 AM.

13. Asbo Zaprudder

It's on my bucket list to view a total solar eclipse so I knew about it. I did consider flying to the US to view this eclipse but the irrationality of flying 3000+ miles for a 3-minute event overuled my enthusiasm, particularly as with my luck I'd end up somewhere cloudy. However, there isn't another total solar eclipse in Europe for another 9 years (12 August 2026 in northern Spain for just under 2 minutes totality at 8:30pm).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depending on the weather, I'm taking my family either to somewhere around Nashville (easy day trip) or to northeast Georgia (family lives there). And yes, I'll be taking my kids out of school for the day.

15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Wasn't there one a few years ago in the UK?

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Partial eclipse only from most of southern England in 1999. You had to go to Cornwall, northern France or elsewhere in northern Europe along the track of totality. Unfortunately, I had to work that day. However, there was a lot of cloud in Cornwall so many people ended up being disappointed. Goonhilly was about the only place there where the clouds briefly parted to allow the eclipse to be briefly viewed.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  17. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

The total eclipse 'band' is just 20 miles to my west. I've got to work, but might take the day off. Daughter and wife are planning on going to a eclipse party in Greenville, SC and they want me to go. I might take the afternoon. TV news is saying that they are expecting 3 million people in the Upstate SC area for the event. Roads are gonna suck......

Q2

18. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Going to Oregon for it. In total, about 2 weeks on the road, getting there and back. Very much looking forward to it. On our way back, we plan to do some camping in Glacier National Park and do a bit of hiking.

Kitty Worrier likes this.
  19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

20. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Ohmigosh! Amazon sent me an e-mail asking not to use the eclipse visors I had ordered from them. They said the visors might not be "ISO certified," though they tried contacting the manufacturer. Amazon will refund me and I don't have to return the glasses.