The Smegtastic Red Dwarf XI Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MacLeod, Sep 22, 2016.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well Red Dwarf has returned to the air waves tonight. First episode is ok so far.

2. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

The gap between Red Dwarves X and XI was actually greater than the gap between IX and X.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But not as big as the gap between VIII and BTE

4. ItIsGreen

ItIsGreen Captain Captain

Watched it the other day on Dave/UKTV's online service, thought it was alright. Not one of the best, though I did like the science speakeasy ("Wanna go round back and talk about Relativity? Special will cost extra"). One criticism I have in general of Red Dwarf, especially since Rob Grant left is that it has these big ideas and spends a long time on the setup and very little on the resolution - had the same thought about the one I was in the audience for (penultimate episode of series XI)

5. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Pretty forgettable stuff. First half was weak with some poor gags, but it picked up a bit with the science speakeasy. Some funny stuff there and the "pram theory!?" line made me laugh...but then they ran it into the ground by actually showing the pram and having Not Einstein say "string" about twenty times. And of course Earth's history would have been massively altered by the events of the episode and they never changed it back, which surely would result in Lister and Rimmer never being born, but I guess they've ignored things like that many times before.

Always good to see Kevin Eldon.

6. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watched it, enjoyed it. Seems a step up from X so far.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I've just finished episode 2... Another one I enjoyed a lot.

8. ItIsGreen

ItIsGreen Captain Captain

Just watched episode 2 - this was actually the one I was in the audience for. We were told it was the penultimate one... perhaps it was just the second-to-last one filmed. Either way, very funny episode, but again same criticism as I had before.

9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Wiki shows it as the next to the last they filmed, the first one aired is the last they actually filmed.

ItIsGreen likes this.
  10. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enjoyed Samsara a lot more than Twentica. Some genuinely creepy fades from now to then, and plus points for trapping Lister with Cat. Lister being driven mad by being trapped with Rimmer is basic, Lister being driven mad by how stupid (actually non-educated) Cat is, is new.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

When did the second episode air? I thought it was on tonight?

Saw the first one and wasn't very impressed. The whole thing felt quite cheaply done (I know it always has but most of the time I think they've exceeded their budget) and the piss take of First Contact was A) a little too obvious and B) something that would have been more relevant and funnier years ago. As someone else said it did get a little better once they hit the science speakeasy, but Earth history wasn't reset so...I know I know it's just a sitcom.

I really enjoyed X so I'm hoping this picks up.

12. Bob The Skutter

It's on UKTV Play catch a week early.

It's on Dave so it won't have a great budget even by the old BBC Two standard. Given the way they kept commenting on how cliched it was I assume that was part of the joke. But I have really enjoyed both of the episodes so far. Still feels a little "Greatest hits" over "The Cover Versions" ish to me but enjoying it nonetheless.

Starkers likes this.
  13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah but X didn't have a huge budget either, but felt a bit more substantial. Looking forward to the second ep.

14. Bob The Skutter

Funny, I was thinking this series seemed to have more spent on it. Though the production staff are on record as saying between the 11 and 12 they had less money per series than 10.

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Second episode is not bad. But as with the first it isn't as good as series 10 so far.
    Looks to me like they even used an old CGI shot of Red Dwarf from the remastered episodes at the beginning. Would be nice if they could reference some of the characters history that previous episodes have shown. I hope series 11 goes somewhere.

16. Bob The Skutter

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The 2nd episode had it's moments once again, perhaps a slight improvement over last weeks but still not classic RD.

18. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I thought the Karma Drive stuff was quite interesting but they could have done more with it. Cat's thick story felt overdone (I know it was supposed to be annoying to Lister but I found it annoying as a viewer too.) Laughed at Kryten punching Lister.

19. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Lister doesn't get paired up with the Cat enough. I'm surprised that Lister didn't seem to remember him being that dumb, but this show regularly ignores its own canon. Lister has famously had his appendix removed twice.

20. Bob The Skutter

Aldo likes this.