The Sky's The Limit Spoilers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Reanok, Oct 8, 2007.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I might look over that after I finish classes today.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two more stories to review 'Til Death by Bob Ingersoll & Thomas F.Zahler is a story that has 2 storylines the First about Riker & Troi's upcoming marriage and talks about their relationship. The second part about a away mission toinvestigate and to do research on an abandoned planet that used to be a Fabrini colony world Crusher and Riker are investigating the lost city when trouble ensues. It takes some suprising twists and turns. It's an intersting story I enjoyed it. Last story in the book Trust Yourself when all men doubt you.By Micheal Schuster & Steve Mollmann Is a nice end story with Picard reading a letter written by Captain Thomas Holloway and has Picard reflecting back on decisions he mad ein his life and as a captain doubting the actions he took during Nemesis.This a great character piece for Picard and well done. I really enjoyed reading all the stories and the journey all the characers experienced in this story anthology. :bolian:

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Either you missed one or you hated it...

4. MichaelS

MichaelS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, now you're putting Reanok on the spot!

:angel:

5. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

That was evil!!!!!! :lol:

Anyways, I will be getting the book tonight. I hope. Can't wait to read it!

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:o I apologize for my review of On the Spot not showing up when I tried to edit my earlier post I was having problems with this site.On The Spot by David A. McIntee. It was a nice story with Worf and the crew dealing with the Loss of Data. And also Data's cat Spot plays an important role in this story I won't ruin the ending but Worf & Spot help solve the problems as to why Enterprise is having mechanical failures and what the cause of it is. It was nice to see Dr. Trop again I like seeing another Denobulan doctor aboard Enterprise. Being a cat owner Spot's antic's in this book reminds me of my own cat who has the same type of attitude. :rommie: very enjoyable story I really liked alot. I :rommie: laughed out loud at some of the scenes with Worf & Spot.

7. Lonemagpie

That's a relief!

I sincerely hope the cat stuff does come across as genuine, cos I've got four of them for inspiration, and they'd be offended if I miscast them!

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

My one problem with the cat stuff in "On the Spot" -- and it's a tiny problem, since most of it was great -- was the bit about Spot thinking that she could bring her kill to Worf to "trade" for some cat food. That's not really the way cats think. When your cats bring you a nearly-dead mouse or bird or something, it's a manifestation of their instinct to bring weakened prey home to their offspring so they can practice their hunting skills. Basically it means your cat has adopted you as a kitten. ;)

Although my father's theory of what our cats were thinking when they brought us dead mice or birds or whatever was: "Wind it up again, Daddy!"

9. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I don`t have the book yet but it makes sense to me that Spot thought she could trade her kill for some cat food. I read that cats bring their owners kills because they see the owner as the leader and do so as a sign of respect.

10. Lonemagpie

Hm, don't remember that

<looks>

Oh, it is there. I think I meant more it was a reward for Worf, but I don't remember putting it in anyway, so who knows what I thought!

It could be an editorial change, mind you. Either that or I'm going to wake up with a lot of scratches in the morning.

11. Lonemagpie

She'd already had the food - he'd given her her favourite - so it's more a payment, I guess.

12. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's curious. The branch of the feline family domesticated cats come from are solitary hunters, not pack animals, and wouldn't have a 'leader' because there's no group to begin with. Hierarchical 'respect' is behaviour one would expect more from a social animal like a dog.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

13. DaveR

DaveR Commander Red Shirt

Admiral Akaar would be a good Treklit example of somebody from a non-member world rising to a fairly high place in the Federation (or at least Starfleet) hierarchy.

Dave

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Spot is officially female then? Because I know in TNG it kept changing on us.

15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think giving birth made it pretty official!

There's a good gag in "On the Spot" about her gender confusion.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but wasn't Spot a referred to as a he in pretty much every other episode she was in?

17. Lonemagpie

Yes, and that is addressed in the story.

And as Steve Mollman said upthread, giving birth pretty much settles it.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. I'm deffinitely curious now. I guess you two do have a point about the giving birth thing.

19. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

When you look at big cats, they live in prides. Recently I watched a nature program about lions and I could see that there is an order of who eats first.

20. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

OTOH, tigers are solitary animals, they don't live in prides. the only time you get more than one tiger in the same place is either a mother with her cubs or a male and female come together to mate. I think that's what Trent meant, that cats come from the same branch of the cats family as the tigers, not the lions.