The Sequel Hints for Improving Trek (S.H.I.T.) List

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by FabiusMaximus, May 29, 2009.

1. FabiusMaximus

FabiusMaximus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Sequel Hints for Improving Trek List

For Bob and/or creative staff if you’re reading:
    • Engineering – redo, rethink – You’ve got the bucks saved in the other sets now so please improve for next film (have it as Scotty’s idea – now that he’s the ship’s engineer he would want to make improvements – he is a miracle worker after all)
    • Story – You guys really nailed the characters and spectacle of the film no question. The origin story/alternate universe was in my opinion a great way to start, reboot, etc., but now that everyone’s in place the next one needs fewer holes. Tighten it, make it leaner and meaner and let’s explore – remember when we were explorers?
    • Humor – Keep it character oriented: the raised eyebrow, the I’m a doctor not a…, the looks and winks, etc. (keep Scotty out of the plumbing)
    • Spock&Uhura – Okay. Didn’t mind this so much, but no PDA’s for Vulcans please
    • The Old Guys – Now I know I’m in the minority in this, but I love seeing the original cast and would not object to a final farewell scene from Nimoy/Shatner (and the rest) if the story can handle it.
    • Villain – I love a good villain too, but next time, keep him/her hidden. It makes it more intriguing when it’s not so obvious.
    • Lens flares – Much to do about nothing, but they seem to be a problem for some
    • Casting – Thought everyone was fantastic – no changes there. Give us a Rand, Chapel, Kyle and bring back Pike.
    • Direction – Pause a few times in the film. I know its part of the blockbuster world of today to go fast, but give us a few minutes to allow the scenes to resonate (you’ve got great actors who can handle this)
    Anyone want to add or substract?

2. perigee

perigee Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: The S.H.I.T. List

Apart from the old guys (no more, thanks, I'm already sold on the new car without the '66 hubcaps) and the villain (do we NEED a villain? Can we break the cycle of moustachio-twirling?), you're spot on for me, FM.

3. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, engineering. I understand the thinking behind the brewery but it really doesn't work for me. The TMP style made some sort of technological sense and the technology was clean, tidy and compact. The rest of the ship was just too neat and glossy to go straight to contemporary steel walkways, gantries and steps. The industrial look only just works on Red Dwarf, but atleast we knew that it was matters of cost on the BBC show. Trek has no such excuse.

Pants and Bra :bolian:

Subtle references to other shows, maybe a photomanip of De Forest Kelly in a framed father and son picture with the new Bones. A big bronze statue of Zefram in the background.

At least one fart joke and one pratfall. Something for everyone.

I would also suggest discrete eroticism, adult relationships and sexual tension, but that seems to be too frightening to discuss round here.

4. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NO to Shatner (get over it guys). No to Nimoy as well. He passed the torch well in this film, there's no need for him to be the sequel.

I liked the lens flares

5. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

No time travel story.

References to old TOS storylines are okay, but let's not re-do a TOS episode or movie.

Less Kirk hand abuse.

6. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Good list. Only thing I'd argue with is "bring back the old guys." The torch has been passed.

I especially like the idea of slowing the next movie down and letting us get to know the characters better. Put them in a position where they have to grow and realize things about themselves and each other. Make trust an issue and let them grow into it.

Oh, and no more Kirk dangling from cliffs.

7. ockhamsrazor

ockhamsrazor Ensign Red Shirt

I have no problems with engineering, but maybe the whole little collection that has been discussed regarding scaling issues... although one can as well pretend that everything is the size it should be period.

No old guys, please, maybe a smaller than-in-this-movie role for Nimoy.

No goodguyz-badguyz-movie, please. Do something more creative. Not just always kicking some bad-guys rear. Or if there has to be a villain, at least make it so that they aren't the most focused upon.

Agree with slowing the movie down a few times... also I'd like it to be la bit longer; say between 2'30 and 2'45. Make it heavy. (I'm aware this probably won't happen since it's not trendy)

AND PLEASE do NOT remake a TOS episode or movie. (or any other ST episode or movie, for that matter) I guess a lot of people would like to see something original.

8. scottydog

^I like almost all the ideas suggested in this thread, but the "slowing-the-movie-down" idea may be problematic. Remember, now that we've been rebooted, all future trek movies will be compared to Star Trek XI. A slowed-down sequel will likely be roundly criticized as dull and plodding compared to the benchmark (Trek XI).

If we want a successful follow-up to Trek XI, it has to be as fast-paced. I say leave the slowing-down to the next TV series.

9. Maxillius

Maxillius Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't mind seeing an original series episode reworked for a movie since none of those episodes were done properly anyway. Not that they had the budget or the technology to do it then.

10. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It needs to be good, but not good good, but bad good, but not bad bad. Good/bad is acceptable in a pinch.

The characters should have substance but not fiber, unless you mean moral fiber, which of course they should. Morally praiseworthy but not obligatory. The villian should not be obligatory, but the conflict should be praiseworthy, and not without pathos, bathos, a bathhouse, and a paternity suit.

The ship should be totally new but familiar, fast but not so fast, big but also small, extreme but conservative. Instead of nacelles it should have three Caretaker Arrays. While the characters have enough room to maneuver they should also have room for metaphorical-phaser fights in the shiny white bulkheads of the characterization narrative. But do not give the actors an inch! Every eyeblink must be directed or reshot enough times to make Stanley Kubrick look like Tay Zonday moving away from the mic to breathe in. Oh - and direct the entire thing with no glasses, JJ. Like Monet in reverse. We will buy licensed corrective JJ ™ lenses at the concession stand.

Vulcans being logical but not without emotion, humans emotional but not without feelers (or other assorted "hat-catchers"). As for green skin, follow the mantra that more is always more green. The same can be said for transporter accidents of the Tuvix "Cleanup on pad 7" variety. And instead of Pon Farr can we have Pon Not So Farrs, say, every Friday night or whenever there's a red alert.

Glaringly absent from XI:
    Android sandwiches
    Bolian subtext
    Omnipotent species
    Probes
    Nuclear wessels
    Rura Penthe
    Shatner
    and
    Time travel (tho someone mentioned it was there, I could be wrong)

And for the love of mike, Blue Warp Nacelles and a sombrero-wearing goat named Buster. Perhaps the Starfleet Academy mascot. He and Boothby can have an adventure.

Uh, you're welcome.

11. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

NO to the old cast. sorry. just not a good idea. stay with the new cast. but get Greenwood, please!!!

12. scottydog

^Post of The Year!! :lol: :guffaw: :lol: :guffaw: :lol: :guffaw:

13. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll second that. :guffaw::lol:

14. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw:

Then, let's put it to a vote.

15. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

I'll add to have more aliens. The movie was on the right track with that's manga-like one on the Kelvin and the other one on the bridge (and obviously Gaila) but I want more important alien characters. The crew remains how they are, of course, but I would like to see some alien (new or existing) to have an imporant role within the story. Maybe an Andorian lieutenant bridge officer. Trek previously lacked this because of budjet, I don't think it's an issue anymore.

16. theFirebottle

theFirebottle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I dunno about the next movie, but here's what I would like to see overall to improve Trek as a franchise.

• A universe bible set in stone before the first screenwriter puts pen to paper. No more silly inconsistencies that could have been rectified by the writer having basic knowledge of the how things work.
    • No more inch-deep technobabble ("reverse the polarity!") as a defining component of an episode. If you're gonna use a thing and don't care to explain it, then don't make some half-hearted It Sounds Like Science explanation. Just use it and move on. (Example: FTL in Battlestar Galactica.) If you do care to explain it, do some damn research and make it the core of the episode.
    • NO MORE RESET BUTTON. You have two shuttlecraft. One gets destroyed in an episode. You now have only one. Wow, what a great tool for creating story tension! Oh, except you destroyed another shuttlecraft for cheap character imperilment in the next ep, and then another, and then another... so much for that great story tension tool you flagrantly ignored.
    • More love for recurring characters. This is what DS9 got right in spades: the recurrers were complex, dynamic, and I was excited to see them in a next-ep preview.
    • If there is ever a holodeck again as a part of Trek tech, impose some limitations on the thing. Make it more like an advanced VR gaming system than an end-all-be-all hyperrealistic simulator of everything. And make it a minor diversion for the characters and/or a useful training tool at most. Better yet, never ever have it used onscreen. Let the characters talk about the fun fantasy RPG they played last night where Ensign Og got his butt kicked by a pixellated orc with half of its polygons missing, or argue about how unrealistic the mechanics of a training program are.
    • Worldbuilding backfill. References to new music, novels, movies, games, celebrities, scientific discoveries happening elsewhere, weird fleet rumors, urban legends, whatever. Mention ships and people that aren't just whoever shows up this week and is never mentioned again. None of this has to take a front seat, it can just be throwaway dialog. "Hey I heard your brother got promoted to first officer on the Exeter, tell him I said congrats." "Yeah, his dissertation about gestural communication in first contact went over really well with the committee. Now let's get to work on this planetary quarantine problem..."

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only thing in the list I agree with is the Engineering set.

Other than that, these folks don't need notes from us (okay, they don't need the Engineering note, either...I just couldn't resist). They need to continue doing what they think is best for their movies.

18. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Realistically, what reason could be given for changing from the brewery location? I mean, like a total refit, or what...

19. theFirebottle

theFirebottle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The ship got trashed by the gravitational forces of the singularity. They'd have to either remake it from scratch in the same way or... maybe some nice breakthrough in engineering architecture happened after the ship's design had already been decided upon, so now they have an excuse to redo it.

My go-to fanwank for explaining the entire end of the film again...:lol:

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That Engineering is really, really big and that we don't even know what part of it we saw in this movie.

More seriously, just change it and ignore the fact that it's been changed. The audience will accept that.