The Runaways (Marvel/Hulu)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fake news. I don't think there's been any announcement about season 2 just yet. But hopefully soon.

Season 1 has been great. The pacing has been perfect, all leading up to the showdown at the end of this past episode.

Can not wait for the finale!

3. Turtletrekker

4. Turtletrekker

They finally run away!

While I enjoyed the first season, there was a lot of set-up with very little resolution. Marvel and Hulu must have been very confidant that they would get a second season.

Interesting that...

...traitor Alex seems to be loyal to Jonah rather than the 'rents.

5. kitik

I saw some more comic-copied clothing in the finale. Nice.

Agreed that they must have been very confident of a second season. I would feel very let down if the story ended there and we got no resolution.

Great casting all around. The kids, the parents, Jonah, all the actors really not only played their parts perfectly, but they pretty much all look comic-accurate too. Double bonus.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It was a slow burn, but worthwhile overall and very true to the spirit of the source material if not the text (which IMO is often the better way to approach an adaptation.)

Anyone else notice Tina's reaction to Old Lace in the opening scene? "There's only one place that could have come from." Savage Lands reference maybe?

7. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

I almost feel guilty for saying this but I adore that dinosaur. I still don't get it because how do they even have his? it's so freaking adorable and good effects. I feel more protective for it then I do for them. Lol

8. kitik

I think she meant Gert's parents.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That's what i thought at first, but now I'm not so certain. It seemed a little more specific than that, as if she's seen one before. I could just as easily be reading too much into it of course.

10. kitik

Mrs Wilder [upon seeing various powers exhibited by Molly, Karolina, and Chase] : Looks like all your kids have a little something extra.

Mr Yorkes : Not Gert, alright, she's just a regular kid.

[right then, Old Lace shows up]

Mrs Minoru: That could have only come from one place.

Mrs Yorkes: We've been meaning to bring you all up to speed on that

It was pretty clearly meant to imply that the Yorkes' had given their child a little something extra too, whether intentionally or not.

11. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having completed the first season I can say I really am not a fan of the direction they went with the parents. I know there's a real push against your classic mustache-twirling cliche villain and we have seen Disney in particular rewrite a lot of their classic villains into having more layers via live-action movies of the cartoon stories, or in Once Upon A Time.

But I feel like the parents arc here just isn't something I could accept having been a fan of the comic. You can have villains be full-on evil, but still function in society and even love something/someone. I personally feel like Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk in Daredevil is probably one of the best written and portrayed comic book villains with a slant on 'reality'. He is exceptionally evil, but he does fully love Vanessa.

They could have gone that route here, which would be more in line with the comics. Instead they just created a bunch of parents who did bad things, but give excuses of being misled or pressured by a more powerful being, blah blah blah.

12. Turtletrekker

Some eagle-eyed fans noted the use of the MCU's go-to fictional news outlet WHiH in two episodes.

13. Turtletrekker

Along with the above, Victor and Janet Stein were students at Culver University (Incredible Hulk, Thor, Agents of SHIELD). So the MCU connections were there, just not prominently so. Much like the first 18 or so issues of the comic.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Just seen episode one and I really liked it - definitely a kind of Breakfast Club vibe.

Looking forward to the next episode.

15. Turtletrekker

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the series--I've never read the original story arc for the Runaways but know the characters from later issues.

So this is definitely set in the MCU?

17. Turtletrekker

There have been tiny, almost peripheral, connections. The Steins went to Culver University, seen in The Incredible Hulk and Agents of SHIELD. News reports were seen on WHiH, the MCU's go-to fictional news outlet. As far as direct references, not so much. You would think there would be some reference to Stark given the kind of tech that Nico's mom deals in.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I was also expecting at least some kind of reference to Stark relating to Victor Stein, who's also a massively successful and influential engineering prodigy.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

No sightings of Roxxon? That's probably the most ubiquitous low-key MCU fake brand.
    Perhaps that would have been a little too obvious a thing to throw in there, so they didn't bother?

Also, I kind of get the impression that while certainly brilliant and successful, Stein isn't even close to being in the same league as Stark. For one thing he seems to mostly sell consumer goods (I think a self-driving car was his main thing, no?) whereas Stark Industries has (or at least *had*) massive government and military contracts and all the capital and infrastructure that entails. Kind of a small fish in a big pond type scenario.

20. Turtletrekker

Roxxon plays very heavily into Cloak and Dagger, maybe they didn't want to use them in both franchises.