The resolution in Death Wish

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Refuge, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

To pick up on something you just edited.. I agree. Who says mortals have the ability to define God?

2. Refuge

I think that was the whole idea of the trial to give 'over it' Q asylum and mortality. Not so sure it was what Janeway wanted when our Q aided his actual suicide. I mean 'over it' Q was going to be a nuisance but I think Voyager was ready to take him on. Was rather convenient to be rid of him though.

I think the follow up is the Q and the Grey. We have our Q being this rebel Q again and creating a civil war within the continuum. I mean Qs fighting Qs. Qs losing their power and Qs being over come by humans..

These guys are not Gods.

However bringing a life into the Q continuum when the two Qs decide to mate. I guess that balances the books for the suicide of the other Q.

3. marlboro

marlboro Guest

[​IMG]

Gaith, Refuge and Prax like this.
  4. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's hilarious. Either my phone's screen is too dark, or the pic is, so I squinted and
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Quinn fancies himself as Socrates. While Socrates was forced to drink Hemlock as a form of execution, he supposedly embraced it, and thought himself a martyr. Quinn sees himself as a martyr(or hopeful martyr) and wants to create change through death.

We humans could never truly comprehend immortality, and therefore cannot understand the "boredom" of an immortal being, but it could be truly awful. It's just beyond our mental capacity, much like the Prophets existing outside of time.

5. marlboro

marlboro Guest

One thing I think was a mistake about the way the Q were presented is that they rarely seemed...wise. For the most part they came across as humans who had gained amazing abilities and spent eternity goofing off. Not that I didn't like that, but having them be occasionally sagacious would have been a welcome change.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling the Q aren't as all knowing as they say they are.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, if STAR TREK is to be believed, Apollo just kinda dissolved into the ether. :)

8. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I always got the impression watching all Q episodes that the Q aren't omniscient-hey don't know everything that can or might happen hence they can be surprised.

They do however know all set facts-every Galaxy, species, and little nebula is within their minds grasp.

9. Refuge

I just wonder how a Q would comprehend death. I guess as an end, whereas religious cultures who believe in an afterlife see eternity or being reborn as salvation. A Q thinks an end is salvation? Why, because it's the only thing they couldn't play with? What would happen to the mighty Q if they find themselves at the Pearly Gates? That would be funny. Q meeting up with God and being granted eternity in the afterlife..

marlboro likes this.
  10. marlboro

marlboro Guest

It would have been hilarious if there was an epilogue to this episode with Gerrit Graham arriving in Heaven and it's just like the Q Continue.

11. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But we've seen Star Trek heaven. He'd arrive on a crappy planet in the centre of the universe, just in time for Spock and some Klingons to drop a torpedo on his head.

If he was in the EU heaven, he might have the company of Q's immortal frenemy.

12. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm also inclined to go with the Quinn statement against Tuvok from the very episode that is the topic of this thread:

I suppose the same would hold for their 'omniscience'.

And yeah, the Q strike me more as a bunch of showy upstarts, than as a truly ancient civilization. Comparable to the difference between some persons who suddenly got rich and still haven't come entirely to terms with all that money they've suddenly got, and persons who come from families that have been wealthy for many generations. (No generalisation intended here, just attempting to convey the idea).

I always figure they got 'omnipotent' (or whatever) about 10.000 years ago (or somewhat longer) in an original timeline (as per Quinn 'new era' statement), and then always were there from the beginning of time according to other Q statements) - time travel is one of their powers.