The Q; A Theory

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Abi Smith, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Gary8

Gary8 Ensign Newbie

Maybe..I like that idea

2. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Picard usually learned something from those torments, that might have been Q's goal all along (apart from pestering Picard, of course).

3. Right on Q

Right on Q Ensign Red Shirt

The Q have been around for a very time. They've seen countless species come and go, or otherwise split of into entirely different races, and they've seem some evolve into mind energy being of some sort or another. I pretty sure they've gotten fairly good at being able to tell how well a species will sink or swim, when they're still in their developmental stages. What I think the Q found so interesting about humans was that perhaps they saw a lot of parallels between themselves when they were still corporal and humanity. For instance we know there are like 150 member worlds in the Federation, yet Starfleet is comprised mostly of humans. This implies that human curiosity and the compulsion to sacrifice safety for the sake of exploration, is above average for our species. Maybe the Q were like that once.

Assuming it's these kinds of parallels that grabbed their interest that would naturally attract bored jaded entities to starry eyed optimistic creatures that vaguely remind them of what life was like for them a long time ago. But then this very attraction might start influencing their behavior in ways that make their fellow Q uncomfortable. In short i think they feared that humans can one day give them a run for their money, and that for some reason beyond their understanding (or because they were unwilling to explore the underlying cause) it made some of their own act a little crazy by Q standards.

I don't think they're future humans because basically the whole point of the Q, was to prop up humanity's 'special-ness'. You've got this race of nigh omnipotent godlings that legitimately fear getting 'out-evolved' by two legged meat bags, because they lack or have lost the optimism and compassion that the meat bags posses in droves they've never seen before.

Now I think Mr. Laser Beam you're a genius! I'm going to think of the Prophets as future Bajorans from now on, that actually makes a lot of sense!

4. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a strange way it does. The Bajorans rely on the Federation to protect them from their enemies. The Prophets rely on the Sisko and other mortals in their fights against the pah-wraiths and to manage their affairs in the material world. So I suppose that even those semi-divine Bajorans from the distant future still haven't learned to conduct their own affairs instead of relying on others for those :)

Trapper Keeper and Right on Q like this.