The Q; A Theory

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Abi Smith, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Abi Smith

Abi Smith Commander Red Shirt

So here goes, the Q are in reality human beings ascended to a higher state from the end of time, that's why they are so keen on the premise of judging humanity.
    Thoughts?

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  2. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've had that thought myself. I should point out that it doesn't seem to be "The" Q that are interested in humanity, but "a" Q. Our Q. But that doesn't hurt the main idea. It's just that our Q is more the anthropologist type. *insert Vash joke here*

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's as likely as any other theory, I guess. I would find it pretty tragic though, because the general Q interest in humanity seems to be over their unusual curiosity, & potential for growth, but even more so about their streak of morality, which often is seen to be absent in Q. It's a shame to think that Star Trek humans have spent so long elevating themselves, enlightening, striving for a purer & more noble existence, only to end up so powerful that they lose sight of those values, & lament or pine for, or even puzzle at their earlier states of existence

Plus, In Deja Q, having Q become human, as though it's a punishment, almost seems like at least he, himself, had no idea that they'd evolved from it. Oh yeah, & also, why would they so devoutly forbid Amanda Roger's parents from living as human. What would be the big deal, if it's just a previous incarnation of their own existence? That kind of contempt would almost certainly have to come from a place of fear, fear of what that kind of unknowable influence could have on them

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Q probably did have a corporeal existence at some point (I'm guessing the "New Era" spoken of in VOY's "Death Wish" was the beginning of their current noncorporeal state), but as to what that exactly was, we have no idea.

I doubt it's humans from the future, though. They wouldn't want to risk changing history and negating their own existence.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Mojochi likes this.
  5. Mojochi

another good point

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now the Prophets, on the other hand...I'm definitely ready to believe that they are the far future Bajorans. Why else do you think they keep saying "We are of Bajor"? ;)

7. Mojochi

Ooo, I like this, & the wormhole might be able to protect them from temporal blowback. They aren't really existing in the same space/time, so they might not pose as much threat to the timeline etc...

8. Abi Smith

Just to say that in my humble theory, yes I'm the author no autographs today, was that the Q used to humans not that all humanity evolved/ascended to being Q.
    Only a few did Q for there was a queue.

9. Mojochi

Cue the Q queue

Qonundrum and ThankQ like this.
  10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's possible, I could definitely see that story being written. What's implied by what we already know is that the Q are interested in humans because they fear the humans will one day become as powerful as them.

Which tracks because we've seen other corporeal creatures who evolve into energy creatures.

11. Abi Smith

Maybe what they fear abouht Guinan is the fact she is El-Aurian, long living and highly attentive, maybe a Q let slip about their true origins.

12. JirinPanthosa

Also, Guinan has been shown to have a mild extradimensional awareness, so she may be unconsciously aware of the magic behind the curtain.

It could be, Q is closer to Ardra than anyone realizes, and Guinan knows. His omnipotent magic could just be really advanced warp drives, forcefields, transporters and holograms, that he has keyed to his gestures.

13. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

Q seem to be beyond time so I don't think that's an issue.

ThankQ likes this.
  14. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does seem odd that three seperate Q (Quinn, Amanda Rogers' parents, and the main Q) all seem independently interested in humans. Quinn was intervening in human history at several points: inspiring Isaac Newton, saving Thaddeus Riker (ancestor of Will - who briefly became a Q...), causing Woodstock or whatever. The Rogerses chose or were banished to live on Earth for some reason. All this before the main Q was encountered in Encounter.

It could be that Quinn was time travelling, doing some Prophetesque stuff by causing Will Riker to be conceived centuries down the line (also makes me wonder about his mysterious dead mother...). The fact that Quinn has such a heavy hand in human history isn't dwelt on in Death Wish, so it could be that he had his fingers in several civilizations across the galaxy (and beyond?).

Also inexplicably hanging out in human history: Guinan the El-Aurian. But I'm sure that's a coincidence.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah cos humans never do crazy stupid stuff that risks our existence

Qonundrum likes this.
  16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Q are whatever you want them to be ...

ThankQ likes this.
  17. JirinPanthosa

Q have temporal shielding, obviously.

18. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think the theory matches up well with how Q acts in the show IMO. Especially the episode where he becomes a regular human and has no idea what it would be like. It always seemed like humanity was very alien to him and he was skeptical of it ever evolving.

19. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you became the common ancestor of humans and salamanders would you instantly know how to go about your day?

I know, I know, I mean AFTER you make Janeway babies.

20. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel like they'd have some concept of their history, like modern day man can imagine life as cave men to some degree.

Plus if the Q come from humans and they know this, it sort twists all of Q's tormenting Picard into a self-tormenting like he's ashamed of his ancestry.