The Picard Paradox

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Ayko, Sep 24, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You both are :)

2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both of those opinions are partly right and partly wrong. You're correct in thinking that ENT is shit, those other people are correct in thinking that Abrams films are shit!

ITDUDE likes this.
  3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

In other words, I've successfully proven my point. ;)

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. antinoos

antinoos Commander Red Shirt

You're all wrong. Both ENT and NuTrek are great. :D

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Neither, if those are the only two options. You're only half right about ENT, and the debate further breaks down about which two seasons are shit. (I think three and four.)

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You totally missed my point. I'm neither right nor wrong, and the same goes for those who disagree with me. It's all opinion. So you can't ask CBS to make a Star Trek show that isn't 'shit,' because one person's shit is another person's treasure. The best you can do is buy the Star Trek IP from CBS and produce your own show. That's the only way you're going to get a Trek show that isn't "shit' in your opinion. But I might think your show is shit, so the point is moot.

Llywela and fireproof78 like this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was gonna post this timeline chart, which was made for Star Trek Online when it launched and shows how the Kelvin timeline split from the prime universe in 2233.
    [​IMG]
    But then I saw there's a new, updated version which depicts the Kelvin universe as being separate from Prime before 2233! I'm guessing it's based on comments from Simon Pegg circa 2016's Star Trek Beyond, and the stuff in the 2018 Star Trek Encyclopedia. But it still pre-dates Star Trek: Discovery (and Picard, which totally kills it's post-Nemesis continuity)
    [​IMG]
    Discuss.

NCC-73515 and fireproof78 like this.
  8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I didn't miss your point. I ignored it. The fact that it's all opinion doesn't invalidate any of it. Life is as much a contest of opinion as it is anything else.

Sure I can. As the consumer I have every right to ask producers to provide a quality product.

So let them give me some new treasure so somebody else can wade through the shit for a while.

I'll start saving my pennies. In the meantime I'll write fanfic.

Not the only way. Simply the most direct one.

Then I humbly apologize in advance if I'm ever lucky enough to produce a Trek series and it's not to your liking.

No it is not "moot." It's only moot if I accept your premise that the fact that others disagree with me means I should just sit back and accept anything CBS shovels out with the word Trek in the title. I am under no obligation to do that. Neither is an admirer of something I hate obligated to take my judgement lying down. You like the shit CBS is putting out now? Say so and defend it, but don't tell me everybody needs to just sit on their hands and shut up just because we're not all in lockstep one way or the other.

SolarisOne and Longinus like this.
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

This is a discussion board. If you are just going to ignore my responses to you, then feel free to either tell me to not bother wasting my time replying to you, or put me on your ignore list. Just telling me you're ignoring me adds nothing to the discussion.

No, that's called entitlement. You are not entitled to anything from CBS. If they ask for your opinion, that's one thing. But they will make their decisions based on other factors than just "one guy on the internet thinks our show is shit."

Except I don't think what CBS is putting out now is shit. It's not perfect, but nothing ever is. So yes, the point is moot, because me liking it and you not liking it does not help CBS determine if they are making something good or not.

Masiral, Nyotarules and fireproof78 like this.
  10. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's asinine.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Indeed it is. That's why you have to include the rest of my post:

SolarisOne likes this.
  12. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry. I thought I was clear that your hypothetical person's statement was asinine, not your premise. Mea culpa. :whistle:Because that's what I actually meant.

Also, if that hypothetical person is correct, then how does the Mirror Universe exist?

Lord Garth likes this.
  13. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Alternate Universes exist, but they are not created by time travel. They are permanent, pre-existing, tangent Universes. Time travel deals with the fabric of your one physical universe. Its events can be altered, within its own sphere of influence. You can look back, and look forward. None of that can affect alternate universes.

14. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    ... and, as 2009 Trek showed, it's also possible to cross over into another "Trek" Universe at a different time period than the one you left.

As far as I'm concerned, Simon Pegg's theories about Time Travel effecting the past is Hogwash.

There's no need for it since we already know that "First Contact" & "ENTERPRISE" somewhat altered the Prime Universe timeline to begin with.
    And since the "ENTERPRISE" Era is considered to be a part of both the Kelvin and Prime Timelines, there's no need for any other explanation.
    :techman:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    ITDUDE and fireproof78 like this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

As did ENT's episode in the mirror universe.

ITDUDE and DaveyNY like this.
  16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    This very much needs to be updated with the info from "DISCOVERY" cause even the game itself has altered what it had originally at that point.
    :)

fireproof78 likes this.
  17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Except you don't get to dictate that, because Star Trek isn't your personal fictional universe. Its laws are dictated by the people in charge of it, not you.

As for real life, there's no such thing as time travel, so you can't objectively state facts about it there either.

Ovation likes this.
  18. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Death of the author.

The creators can insist on inconsistent and stupid explanation, and we're free to ignore it.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, ignoring it doesn't make it go away.

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Though in game material treats it as an alternate timeline created via Nero, not a completely separate universe.

Probably a disconnect between the writers and the art team.