The Photoshop Thread, Part V

brothers043.jpg

the-defector-hd-115.jpg

And now the same image in 16:9 crop cuz everyone hates those vertical black bars on either side of the screen (pillarboxing)... though thankfully that table/desk is pointless and adds nothing to this scene (where in other shows you'd see papers littered about the table/desk that can provide nonverbal cues, etc, and so on, to plotting):

the-defector-hd-115-WSBS.jpg

That one's with manual height adjustment; most conversions people do just cut it along the middle since - unlike the 1950s - a typical TV show has hundreds of camera/POV shots and there's no way every last scene change is going to be re-calibrated, so the inevitable result is this:

the-defector-hd-115-WS-more-BS.jpg

Especially if the table/desk had plot-relevant tidbits on it, you'd be none the wiser... which, depending on genre or how complex and/or convoluted the script itself might otherwise be, is a good or bad thing...

I'll stick with pillarboxing, but it's all good. Well mostly, I could smooth out the window behind Geordi there... at least I took out the orange glow from the explosion... I could throw in a space clown hanging upside down-- well, maybe not...

Here’a an idea…on the Gary Seven episode, replace the moonshot on Scotty’s screen with Starship…maybe that as the first sketch in The Making of Star Trek. :)

For the purposes of this lame joke, I have not messed with the brightness or contrast on any of these screencaps.
3qTmuCK.jpg

Say what you will (we all have different tastes) but the normal light levels on the Titan are lower than the Enterprise during night watch. :D

Last edited:
They wanted to preserve their low light vision, so, when they look through the periscope into the dark of space. :wtf:

Back