THE ORVILLE Season Three...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, May 11, 2019.

1. joe40001

joe40001 Commodore Commodore

Ooh yeah! I want that. lol.

But seriously I know the odds are very remote, but when chasing a dream you have to just give it the best possible try you can. There are a million reasons not to try in the first place. Even if it doesn't work out exactly as I dreamed there's still a chance that getting the script in front of the right person could open a door I'm not even aware of yet. I so love Trek, and believe strongly I have something to contribute.

Maybe I should get somebody to leave random copies of the script on the set everywhere, ha.

Valin likes this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another thing to keep in mind is that even if you do manage to use the script to get your foot in the door, what ends up on screen is probably going to look very different from what you wrote. Modern shows are handled by the writers room, so they'll get their turn going over it, and then I believe the showrunner usually takes a swing too, so once they've all gotten a turn at it, it'll probably be unrecognizable.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ It's not just modern shows. That was one of the first things I learned when I got an agent back in 1979. It didn't take me long to become very disillusioned with that field of writing.

4. joe40001

joe40001 Commodore Commodore

I'd be grateful for anything. Even if 1 iota of my core got shared in a broader sense I consider that a huge victory.

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. What was your experience? Did you ever get something close to your vision getting produced?

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

He doesn’t have enough money to buy Star Trek but maybe he can sell Orville to them for their streaming service.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope not. Another great sci-fi premise ruined.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

After writing full scripts based on guidelines and formats supplied by the agent, she told me to reduce everything to synopses because shows have their own writing staffs that do the actual scripts. After that, I stuck to prose. I probably could have continued that way, or found a different agent or something, but I was young and impatient and uninterested in compromise.

8. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

UPDATE from Seth MacFarlane

https://tvline.com/2020/09/28/the-orville-season-3-premiere-date-delayed-pandemic-hulu/

“All I can say is we’re working on it. We’re working very hard,” MacFarlane shared during an Instagram Q&A (below) with cast member Jessica Szohr, who plays Xelayan officer Talla Keyali. “We got hit by this [pandemic delay] just like everyone else, but we are working on it.”

Szohr indicated that at the time the pandemic shut down production, “We were, like, pushing through the middle of the season, scripts were banging out, gas pedal down, and then it was like, ‘Halt!'”

But even with a good chunk of the season left to film, Macfarlane maintained, “We will be back soon, folks.”

“There has been a lot of speculation online: Will the show come back?” the series creator and Captain Ed Mercer’s portrayer noted. “The show is still a huge priority for me and for the cast and everyone else. We do have a season to finish, and we are going to finish it,” once the logistics for producing a show “in this climate” are figured out.

“For a show with a lot of prosthetic makeup that requires close contact, a lot of background artists… it’s a big job, and you want to make sure you do it in a way that keeps everyone safe and secure,” McFarlane explained. “Once we have those protocols figured out, we will start up again and you will get more Orville.”

New to The Orville Season 3 (besides Hulu, that is) will be Anne Winters of ABC’s one-and-done Grand Hotel, playing a character named Charly Burke.

MacFarlane discusses the state of The Orville starting at the 12:00 mark:
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CFsQBUthGVo/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading

jackoverfull likes this.
  9. 1987SpaceGuy

Looking forward to season 3, haven't forgotten the series yet.
    Don't remember all plot details anymore, but certainly the various characters.
    Really thought they had filmed all episodes long before Covid hit and very doing special effects and music like they had to do on Disco.

10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, it's the only skiffy show besides Westworld that I'm looking forward to.

BillJ likes this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

MacFarlane's been clear all along that was not the case at all. He even joked in an interview a few months back that because they suspended production in the middle of an episode, it's going to be so weird when that episode airs and in certain scenes "everyone weighs twenty extra pounds and has gray beards."

12. 1987SpaceGuy

That would actually be very funny to leave that "change" in and have one character make a mention like your hair/beard growth is exceptional and then never addressing it again.

The Nth Doctor and jackoverfull like this.
  13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Can’t wait. Annoying it’s on Hulu which means I won’t be able to watch it through US iTunes

14. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

MId 2021 is my guess.

15. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ultimately, this update is that there is no update and they have no idea. By the time they get to it, the series will be mostly forgotten and you will have to do a rewatch just for it to work right. Not the worst thing, but it really is out of sight out of mind, which is a shame because the show was terrific.

16. KennyB

Will be like BBC shows with 2-3 year break in between.

The Wormhole likes this.
  17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I can live with that.

BillJ and Gary Mitchell like this.
  18. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. Better a 2 year break than a 20 year break which is what is going to happen when in the future new people will discover it for the first time and it will become beloved and brought back much like TOS did.

Jason

19. KennyB

What ever had a 20 year break?

20. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are people still discovering now. On Reddit we get a post every few days where someone says he avoided it, thinking it was silly but now is hooked and can't stop watching. We just need to tell more people about it, to spread it more.