The One Thing That Annoys Me About "Star Trek Next Generation"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by LJones41, Sep 18, 2016.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem I had with her was really more about the way they almost always made sure to have a Lwaxana episode every season, much like they almost always had a Q episode every year. It felt too forced, even though some of the episodes were quite good.

2. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally it didn't matter to me if it was forced or not. I found her annoying in almost all of those episodes except maybe two.

Jedman67 and triskelion16 like this.
  3. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's funny because I think TNG's may be among the best casts in the franchise. They had a weight to them that I didn't buy with some of the others. They pulled off their characters. Yeah there's issues, but no cast is without their own. Overall, they stand pretty firm for me, and I always enjoyed whenever we got to see more of them.

4. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah yes. Fleetwood Mac fish costumes. I think that was deliberate. Big plot? Nah, five minutes and here's why telepathy is useful. It's a bit like the season 8 twitter parody account...where the ent d is grabbed by caretaker a la voyager, and Georgia laforge does something to the engines and has them home for tea. Sometimes, it's just a gag.

5. Sybok Was Wrong

Sybok Was Wrong Commander Red Shirt

I think if you replace the word "Cast", with the word "characters"- I would agree with the OP.

The cast of TNG was terrific. Solid overall unit. The characters? Picard and Worf were the best. I liked Riker too. For an actor of limited ability, Frakes was at least quite likeable.

LaForge was bland as all get-out. Crusher too. I have never liked Data. I find Brent Spiner unlikeable: half smug, half too innocent. I'm sorry, but Marina Sirtis is a bad,bad,bad actress. Bad. That accent she made up didnt help matters. What really highlights it, are the episodes of "Voyager" she's in- nor does Troi as a character hold a candle to the likes of Janeway, Torres or Seven.

Every Trek has its strengths & weaknesses- but Trek overall is the best Sci fi on TV ever! Well, except maybe for 70's Dr. Who.

6. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^I think Spiner changed the most in how he played his character, tending a bit too much toward overly innocent and goofy the first and to a lesser degree the second season, as generally very professional and experienced the third through sixth and then regressed to a bit too childlike or at least inexperienced again the seventh season.

I don't get the idea that Crusher was bland, generally agreeable but very believable in both that and in her commitment to her principles despite the costs.

2takesfrakes likes this.
  7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect that the "Crusher Was Bland" argument really stems from the fact that episodes focusing on her character were often badly written. And having birthed Wesley might go against her in their eyes, as well. Bev, herself, is very smart, very charming and I love that smirk of hers ... it always makes me laugh! And as far as cougars go ... you know ... she wasn't too bad looking. Jean-Luc's loyalty to his friend Jack Crusher is how to be, but ... I'm a Crusher/Picard shipper, like so many others. It would've worked having STAR TREK's first married captain, if they could've been paired off, somehow.

8. locutus101

Well, they were.

9. 2takesfrakes

Except in the alternate future seen in “All Good Things…” The episode "Attached" spelled it out for us where Picard really stands with all things Bev. Personally, I find it very hard to believe that Captain Jean-Luc Picard would've not at least permitted himself a 1-Night-Stand with her, after Jack died. On the other side of the coin, I do admire the loyalty of friendship Picard demonstrates. Had Jack & Bev divorced, Jack might've even given Picard his blessing, telling him, "... you're welcome to my left-overs, Jean-Luc." But Bev being widowed changes the picture, entirely.

10. locutus101

I f you can resist the advances of Famke Janssen, you can do anything.

11. 2takesfrakes

He must not be completely French ... he seems to be part Brit, at least. That would explain it.

12. locutus101

That or he lied about which part of him the Nausicaan stabbed...

13. 2takesfrakes

... I know which part of me I'd most want to protect!

14. locutus101

Against what?

15. 2takesfrakes

A knife's point, sir ...

16. locutus101

Well, I think I can guess which part you mean.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked LaForge, but I wonder what he would have been like had he kept the season 1 personality. I think with that personality and being Chief engineer, that would have been really interesting to see how that developed. It seemed like the writers were trying to unintentionally make him bland from season 2 onwards.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  18. locutus101

Also why do they need to have one character that is awkward around women? That seemed to be Jordi's role for part of the series.

19. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

One thing that annoyed me about TNG was that Wesley didn't let Lore blow up the ship after Picard told him to shut up.

If it'd been me, I'd have said "Screw you, Jean-Luc." and left the bridge, headed directly to shuttlebay 1 and out of there.

20. BJ Wagner

BJ Wagner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Technobabble.

It also infected everything that came after with technobabble as well.

Please Discovery, no technobabble.

Jedman67 likes this.