The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Call me greedy, but I still want a 1080p beauty shot of the ship for desktop wallpaper purposes ...

2. raffie

raffie Commander Red Shirt

I know some ppl thrive on seeing conspiracy theories everywhere, but it seems more plausible to me that they're just using the original master videotape minus all kinds off "enhancements" applied on the DVD versions to make you think it looks better than it actually does, like noise filters and turned up brightness / contrast & colour.

That is interesting, watching old silent movies (whom are 1:37) I find it surprising how even that little extra side footage makes for a more comfortable aspect ratio, and doesn't give me that 'boxy' feeling that 1:33 does.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

If you are referring to this page the blurring is due to the shot being blown up to match the dimensions of the 720p screenshot. Blowing it up will automatically make it look blurrier.

I guess that makes me greedy too!

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm loving the new trailer but I have to say that for some reason the difference isn't that striking to me. Sure, I see the added clearity and detail, but the footage in the trailer didn't bowl me over. Probably because the quality of the video just isn't as good as the final BD.

Having said that, I'm sure the 1080p BD disc I'll be popping in my player come january will be amazing. I'm loving this project and the news were getting doesn't disappoint.

5. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wowser, the colours! I knew they were in there somewhere, hiding away. :)

6. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone know if the opening and closing credit sequences are being redone in HD? I assume they were only ever designed in SD and put straight on to the video masters.

7. Savage Dragon

I can't see how they would be able to get away with not redoing the credits. It shouldn't be any different than having to redo F/X shots for the episodes.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

ain't it cool news is claiming the shot of the Ent-D orbiting Q'onos is a CGI recreation. Sort of goes against what I had heard about them not replacing FX shots.

9. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The shot of the Enterprise is clearly a model. But I suspect the planet is a new CGI creation.

10. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

As can be seen when comparing these two screenshots (the remastered shot comes courtesy of trekcore.com) the model work was kept but the planet is a new CG creation and not just a cleaned up shot of the original planet. Qo'noS is not a plant realized as a real model that was filmed (like the planets on TOS) but was done in post production, hence the low resolution of the original planet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

That looks amazing. They're obviously putting some devotion into this effort.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Basically it looks awesome, assuming that is a fair comparison.

So the warp nacelles are going to glow in a whiter color?

13. Savage Dragon

I cannot wait to see this in 1080p on my TV at home.

14. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Fantastic! Beautiful work, finally after 25 years we see TNG how it should have been seen. Can't wait to get them all :)

15. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Worf doesn't look too good in HD though ;)

16. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The update on Trekcore brings up an interesting issue. What if they can not find all the reels necessary to re-assemble the episodes using original elements???

-Chris

17. ModusOperandi

ModusOperandi Ensign Red Shirt

First of all I want to add to the chorus of "ooohs" and "aaahs" over the new remastered footage in the trailer. The clarity (even in a 720p FLV) and color is remarkable.

OK now tell me if I'm crazy: In the new trailer, where the E-D does its second warp jump from the opening title sequence, I am 99% sure I can see crew members walking around in the little windows below the bridge bubble on top of the saucer. I watched a DVD rip from a later season and didn't see anything like that. Was this part of the original composition, and there just wasn't enough resolution to see it on SD TV or DVD? I doubt it. Why would they have wasted time on a great effect that no one could see? It must be CGI specifically for TNG-HD.

So does this mean that delicate CGI FX enhancements will be done where necessary or tasteful? I am VERY MUCH in favor of this. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but we have yet to hear OFFICIAL confirmation that anything more than recompositing of the original FX is being tackled. But as discussed at length in this thread, things like planet orbit shot reuse, planetscape matte reuse, and Starfleet ship model reuse could, I think, be enhanced or replaced relatively easily with CGI, remaining true to the spirit of what the show's creators intended, hampered as they were by budget and schedule restrictions.

Please, please CBS, do this! There is so much potential for tasteful enhancement. At the risk of reopening the purist vs. changist debate, I would just say that those who prefer the original will still have it, and those who prefer the new version will be happy too.

18. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

It's there in the original, although I must confess I never noticed until the TNG HD trailer.

19. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here:techman: Looks even more better than I hoped for:eek:.
    I am getting more and more excited about this.
    I do not mind that they re-did Kronos with CGI, looks very tastefully done to me.

20. ModusOperandi

ModusOperandi Ensign Red Shirt

Really? I can't see it at all. If so, I'm disappointed because it means it's less likely that they are doing CGI enhancements.

Are we sure it's CGI? And not another recompositing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.