The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

My guess would be that the resulting composite would look very uneven, so it was just best to redo the whole shot rather than make one half cgi and the other just HD transfer.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Either they just tried it IF they could replace the footage if they ever need to do it, and the full season release will have the original shot restored. OR the two teams (one is some CBS team, and the other is Drexler & Co) are indeed working totally different: CBS replaces everything with CGI, and Drexler & Co restore the original film shots. THAT would be bad.

3. 22 Stars

I think you might have a case closer to the latter. But I don't thing the two different methodologies will be done as arbitrarily as you say (i hope not anyway).

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

No, they're not doing that but I think the original crew were perhaps lead by CBS to believe they were going to only replace what absolutely needs replacing. If they are working completely separately and are not on the same page, that WILL be bad.

5. 22 Stars

Like I said earlier, we will know a lot more after Mike and Doug are interviewed and blog about the process in the coming weeks.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As stated before, the original team (Okuda's, Drexler, etc.) were not involved in the sampler at all so the CBS team is obviously working with the original fx elements and restoring them, there have only been a few that have been CGI replacements and it's reasonable to believe that these shots were necessarily replaced.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the only change I'm not crazy about. Even if it was the 4-foot model, that shot of the Enterprise coming out of warp (with the shifting rainbow stars) was always one of my favorites on the show.

Now it just looks totally different.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

A lot of this seems to be squabbling over details. Yeah some details aren't right, some shots are based off poor versions of the models, yadda yadda. To me I over look these and think that the clearer details and color timing of the "energy beam" shot looks fantastic. Look at the details and sections of the deflector dish (mostly that you SEE them) alone. Looks good to me, if I can look past the light leak from shuttle bay 2 for the last 25 years I can certainly look past some missing windows on the saucer rim in a distant shot for the sake of seeing my favorite ship looking spectacular in close ups.

9. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

The lighting is a bit different and the model has the lines and contours of the 6 footer, but the shot is still the same.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What I find amazing about the warp shot is that the warp stars are exactly the same. Just like Q's energy grid, I'm wondering how they did that. Shouldn't the resolution be extremely bad since it's a CG element from the 80s?

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Has there ever been an explanation for why they changed the dimensions so much for the 4-footer? Were they concerned that the ship looked too flat and thin from some angles?

Or was it just an accident based on inaccurate drawings or something?

12. NewHorizon

It's the original footage. Someone said the original wasn't CG, so that's why they were able to reproduce it so nicely.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think something everyone should keep in mind is that we are picking apart single frames. Things will probably look a lot better in motion.

14. NewHorizon

15. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This would decrease the amounts of different shots... where is the sense in that?

Look at the untouched original TOS. They had what? 5 different exterior shots?

That's why they build the 4 footer in the first place, to increase the amount of SFX shots with new, more dynamic scenes.

16. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

They fattened her up to account for the Ten Forward set and the resulting two deck rim on the saucer and secondary hull.

17. NewHorizon

Sure, but they replicated the original 6 footer warp shot with the 4 footer, and now CBS has replicated the 4 footer warp shot with a CGI model that is attempting to better replicate the 6 footer. It's the same very basic shot. Why go to the trouble of replicating an already replicated shot to get 6 footer asthetics when you can just go back to the 6 footer footage that has just been remastered?

18. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No it is not the same shot... Take a closer look... the 6 footer passes the camera with it's saucer above, whereas the 4 footer passes the camera with it's saucer to the right of the camera. The angle is slightly different!

19. NewHorizon

I said the same 'basic' shot. Either keep the 4 foot version or go to the 6 foot version...unless the footage doesn't exist anymore but I am doubtful of that since it appeared so often.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't see any virtue to doing an essentially identical shot with a CG model either. Almost no one's going to notice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.