The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We need a The Chase type episode for "why does the ship keep looking different" instead of "why do all aliens look like humans with bumpy heads" :D.

2. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Just watching "The Last Outpost"...a nice visual episode which I cant wait to see in full HD. God, some of the dvd footage is just awful, especially where the show the Ferengi ship on the viewscreen from behind Worf. Truly foul.

3. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Sho

5. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Excellent! Thanks again! :-)

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Neat that they fixed that. Though it wasn't a tractor beam, if it was it'd be even more wrong now, it was an "energy beam" used to feed the alien on the planet surface.

In the bridge screen shots you can more clearly see the problems they had with the aft-stations reflecting the real-world cameras and other equipment, a problem they had during the first couple of seasons until the show was better lit. Some of you may have noticed as the first two seasons go on the aft stations are often covered with black panels to eliminate the reflection. Unfortuantely the higher-resolution will only likely make these panels more evident. (They're already pretty obvious.)

For example HERE is a screenshot from "When the Bough Breaks" where you can see the black panels being used to eliminate the reflections and glare from the studio cameras and lights.

7. Sho

Righto, sorry, brainfart. I even rewatched it recently to prepare! :)

FrontierTrek, can you tell us if the weird creeping blackness in some of the courtroom scenes is gone now? In some shots Picard's head used to be partly eaten up by black.

8. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the updated transporter effect screenshot. As can be seen, it is indeed the old sparkling footage, maybe enhanced by some CG whirls, but the original sparkles are definitely back :-)

9. FrontierTrek

Thanks for the feedback, Sho! I'll try and find out for you and get back as soon as I hear :)

I'll also be posting some new "Sins of the Father" and "Inner Light" stuff tomorrow :)

10. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Much appreciated. Cheers.

11. FrontierTrek

OK - as far as I'm aware, the creeping blackness is still there in the HD version, I am trying to get hold of a screenshot for you but it will probably be Monday :)

12. Sho

Shame, but I guess it was more likely to be a problem with the negative. Wonder why they didn't reshoot when they saw it in the dailies ... iirc all the shots it happened in don't feature the crowd and it should be easy enough to redress the backdrop ...

Edit: Also, FrontierTrek, if you take requests: I would love some screencaps of the saucer separation and of the force field that Groppler Zorn is held in by the creature. And of the effect when Data throws the stone against the holodeck wall. The latter two were very likely redone in CG (especially the latter obviously). The frozen/unfrozen morphs of Tasha would also be interesting.

13. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The energy beam shot of the Enterprise is a matte painting? I never realised tbh!

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It isn't and wasn't. Are you perhaps just mistaking terminology?

16. Sho

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

But it did have windows, which are missing in this shot. I think you are right in that it's the two-footer, but someone has touched up the image so much that the rim is scrubbed clean and the next is lousy deep windows. The highlights and shadows have been painted in different to the original shot too.

18. FrontierTrek

Not a problem! Will post them Monday for you :)

19. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Sorry but it looks like someone painted it to me...

Edit: After getting my first ever good look at the 2ft model posted above, I guess its the 2ft model. Still looks weird though, as if touched up by someone with a paint brush!

EDIT2!: I thought that the 2ft model when lit, lit up every window? So ?????

20. Sho

Thank you, that's wonderful!

Hmm, but if you look at the middle photo in the Memory Alpha link I posted, I can't make out rim windows there from the bottom angle.

The head-on view of the ship behind Q's energy grid is also the 2-footer btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.