The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I finally got to see this last night and gave it a "Very Good" rating. If the goal was to give the franchise a reboot for the next generation then I would have to say it's a success. It's a young and sexy cast and it was apparent that each actor respected the character they were playing.

So what saves it from an "Excellent"?

1) To quote Janeway "Time travel gives me a headache." Seriously, enough of it already!

2) Spock/Uhura: While I do like this pairing (BTW, there's some excellent fanfic out there if anyone is interested) the timing is completely off. I find it hard to believe a man uncomfortable with his human heritage would engage in a love affair with a human woman. Sure, later on I could see it happening but not to the guy who went off to learn the Vulcan discipline of Kolihnar after the original mission. Still, the fanboys who wanted to see Spock "get some too" had to be served so there you go.

All that being said if you're going to do a reboot this one was done right unlike some others (ahem, Trek Lit). No major characters were killed (I'll miss Amanda :( ) and the film ended on a hopeful note despite the tragedy. As for the actors each performance was like a love letter to the original charcter. You could tell from the way the actor who played Spock stood to the way "Bones" said "Dammit Jim" that they were in love with their characters and wanted to do right by them.

Also, it was great to see Nimoy again. "I have been and always will be your friend" was an amazing moment and it was hearatbreaking that the younger Kirk had no idea what he was talking about. "Thrusters on full" indeed.

All in all I think it was a great tribute and a lot of fun to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

2. Connie 1701

Connie 1701 Ensign Newbie

hello all...

this is return of Admiral Don Janeway 29!

... now that's over with.... I have seen this movie like 5 times now and i think it's great!

-Spock Prime saying "James T. Kirk" once again.
    -Bruce Greenwood as Capt./Admiral Christopher Pike.
    -interaction between Kirk and Spock on the new Enterprise.
    -how well Kirk and Sulu worked together.
    -first meeting of Scotty for Kirk.
    -Kobayashi Maru similation and how Kirk made joke out of it
    -meeting of Kirk/Bones on Academy shuttle.
    -The Enterprise NCC-1701
    -The Jellyfish
    -the metion of Admiral Archer's Dog by Scotty

Not too sure about
    -Loss of Amanda Grayson
    -Destruction of Vulcan
    -the Engineering on the Enterprise
    -Delta Vega has snow?!?

Dislikes
    -Scotty treating Keenser poorly.
    -it's over until 2011

3. Minuialeth

Minuialeth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I understand your point of view and that you aren't against the pairing. I also agree that the Spock in TOS wasn't in the right frame of mind to have any serious relationship.
    But think about it: this Spock isn't the one who wanted to undergo Kolihnar in TMP. From the beginning of the movie, we see he's not as ashamed of his human side as Spock Prime was. Sure, his relationship with Uhura is certainly not going to make things easier for him but it's not completely out of there for this Spock.

As far as I'm concerned, it's this obvious love for the characters that made me like the movie so much and easily overlook its flaws.

You're right. It didn't hit me until my second viewing. Spock Prime has his dear friend with him after loosing him years ago but he can't hope to relate to him the way he used. But you can also see that Kirk's presence only is enough to draw Spock out of his despair.

4. FailedLurker

FailedLurker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think the point is that this Spock isn't uncomfortable with his human heritage, at least not nearly to the extent that Spock Prime was, and the fact that he's in a relationship with a human is a sign of that.

5. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

^ Yeah, in thinking about this later (I must admit I'm still processing the movie in my mind here) the event 25 years ago when George Kirk was killed set in motion of string of events that changed everything even before Vulcan was destroyed so who knows how that string of events would have affected Spock while growing up on Vulcan.

6. The Exile

The Exile Ensign Red Shirt

I voted excellent, however it was obvious to me that there's a lot more to come from this group of actors. What pleased me was the overwhelmingly positive reaction from the audience, it's the first time in a long time I've heard applause at the end of a film.

Also it was pretty exhilarating seeing forty years of cobwebs blown from the franchise while keeping the heart of the show intact. It was plainly made with a lot of love for the original. It's a whole new world, and one I'm looking forward to seeing lots more of. The sky's the limit.

7. VulKhan

VulKhan Lieutenant Red Shirt

Last night, I saw it for the 3rd time, this time 'round in the English OV. So far, I had only seen it in German. Oh my gawd, it's even better in the original version!!! Not that this took me by surprise, cause the original is pretty much always better, but wow, I was so blwon away! It was gorgeous!
    And, obviously, everyone else in the theatre liked it too, some apparently saw it for the first time and after the film had ended, all those english people in the theatre were like: "Oh wow, that was so good, it was even better than the original."
    Now, you cah argue about that, but I personally felt glad they all seemed to approve of it so much. ;)

Lots of the slapstick in the film was so much funnier seeing it in the Ov, too, they came across even better and well, among other things, now I can't imagine watching it without Simon Pegg's scottish accent anymore!
    And then there was, of course, Leonard Nimoy's wonderfully deep voice again, and Checov's "Captain Kurk", which he doesn't pronounce like this in german. I mean, he does have a heavy russian accent in the german version, too, but it's not like that. :lol:
    Brilliant!

8. Minuialeth

I'm so jealous, I want to see the movie in OV too :wah:

I've just re-watched "The Tholian Web" and the characters' interaction in it (Bones and Spock) is awesome. For me, that's what makes TOS a very good show. I hope to see even more of that in STXII. ST XI was already a good beginning in that aspect, even if the characters' relationships as they were in TOS weren't quite established yet, understandably so.

9. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

The Tholian Web is one of my favorite eps :adore:

10. Minuialeth

I'm sure it'll be one of mines when I'm done re-watching the whole show.
    In that ep, it's the first time we see that McCoy is starting to understand what Spock is made of (and it's there in the next ep, "Plato's Stepchildren". No reset button, that's nice). Why, they both even decide to lie to Kirk about the tape!
    What's even better (to me, at least), is that I could totally picture the nuCast pulling those scenes off :) This means:
    1) The actors are very good
    2) Yes, the characters were changed a bit, but their cores remain

2011 seems so far, far away :scream:

11. indranee

yep. I can completely see that. I can't wait.

so are you watching the eps in order?

12. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

it's one of my favourite 79 or so episodes of TOS.

13. indranee

^ :lol:

touche!

14. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Def. one of the two best episodes of the otherwise below average 3rd Season (the other ep. in question being "Day of the Dove").

The one thing I was thankful to the creators of Enterprise for was showing us the Tholians in all their CGI glory. One of the most, if not THE most unique race the Star Trek universe has shown us.

15. indranee

for me, Turnabout Intruder is a totally guilty pleasure ;)

it's horrible, I know, for all kinds of reasons. but I love watching it.

16. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Nothing guilty about it. It was brilliant. Shatner is at his Shatneriest!!

17. indranee

I do cringe when I watch it though. for a variety of reasons. but it is brilliant. gosh, what I wouldn't give for a TOS fourth season. and, no, I don't mean TAS.

18. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Same here.. Though TAS had some great moments.

19. indranee

yep, but I wish it had more than the voiceovers, ya know?

20. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

It is Filmation!

Bring on TAS-Remastered!!