The Official Fan Art Lounge (Off-Topic Discussion Goes Here)

I admit I was very much out of the loop when it came to AI art, and all it's implications, until it was brought up on this forum and in the Star Trek AI art thread. And not wanting to disrupt that thread any further, I thought I'd post this news here instead.

A few days after anouncing that the latest update to Clip Studio Paint would incorporate an experimental AI image generator, the developers have pulled the feature after receiving negative feedback.

https://www.clipstudio.net/en/news/202211/29_01/
(Updated Dec 02, 2022)

We apologize for the anxiety and concern we have caused regarding the announcement of the Image Generator Palette on November 29.

After the initial announcement, we received a lot of feedback from the community and will no longer implement the image generator palette.

Here are some concerns that we have taken to heart:

• Current image generation AI exploits other artists' intellectual property and is unusable
  • This feature will hinder rather than help artists in their creative activities
  • Using artist’s work that is not opted-in to a data set is ethically unacceptable
  • The fear that this will make Clip Studio Paint artwork synonymous with AI-generated work
  • There are existing features that need to be prioritized over image generation AI features
  • Having something unknown in the app I use daily potentially infringing on legal or moral rights is unacceptable
  • Clip Studio Paint should be an app that takes responsibility for a safe, creative environment
The Image Generator palette was developed with the hope that we could provide a new way to experience creativity. However, we had neglected to take the necessary considerations.

We were so preoccupied with how generative AI technology could be used creatively that we lost sight of what our core users want from Clip Studio Paint as a creative tool. We would like to sincerely apologize.

Celsys will not be implementing any image generator AI features in Clip Studio Paint that present this kind of concern, and will listen more sincerely to the opinions of creators. We will redouble our efforts to provide features that can be used with peace of mind by all artists.

Okay, one small bit of good news. But I feel like we’ve dug a small trench with a bucket on the beach of an ocean. That tide is going to come in, regardless of measures like this.

I hate to be a contrarian, but I'm not that down on AI art. It seems to me it's going to be far more likely to turn out to be a labor-saving device than the end of human expression (or even remunerative human expression). I'm hopeful its the first step to the sort of things we've seen in Star Trek or Blade Runner 2049, where a single person create elaborate movies or interactive stories with the same scale of effort someone today would apply towards a novel, as opposed to the hundreds or thousands of person-years of work needed to make even a midlevel film or video game.

Like, I sympathize with the moral argument of artists having their work fed into machine-learning algorithms without their consent but I don't see how introducing a computer into the equation makes it different from any other form of pastiche. That whole idea seems to be the inverse of the critique I've heard of companies like Uber and other "disruptive" internet services, which is basically that they boil down to, "Sure, it's illegal to [operate an unlicensed taxi cab company], but is it illegal to do it with a computer?" Indeed, for human people, emulating the styles of other artists is something they tell you to do in art classes. "Sure, it's ethical to be influenced by the works of others when developing a personal style, but is it ethical for a computer?"

Likewise, I don't see the big deal about the fact that it functions to get the algorithms to hew to a specific style by entering the name of a specific artist (along with specific genres or even ancillary keywords like "photoreal" or "DeviantArt"); Can you imagine if an actor's response to hearing of a director saying, "I want a Ricardo Montalbon-type for this character," was "Congress needs to make a law preventing this, because anyone looking for that should be hiring me, Ricardo Montalbon"?

I hate to be a contrarian, but I'm not that down on AI art. It seems to me it's going to be far more likely to turn out to be a labor-saving device than the end of human expression (or even remunerative human expression). I'm hopeful its the first step to the sort of things we've seen in Star Trek or Blade Runner 2049, where a single person create elaborate movies or interactive stories with the same scale of effort someone today would apply towards a novel, as opposed to the hundreds or thousands of person-years of work needed to make even a midlevel film or video game.

Like, I sympathize with the moral argument of artists having their work fed into machine-learning algorithms without their consent but I don't see how introducing a computer into the equation makes it different from any other form of pastiche. That whole idea seems to be the inverse of the critique I've heard of companies like Uber and other "disruptive" internet services, which is basically that they boil down to, "Sure, it's illegal to [operate an unlicensed taxi cab company], but is it illegal to do it with a computer?" Indeed, for human people, emulating the styles of other artists is something they tell you to do in art classes. "Sure, it's ethical to be influenced by the works of others when developing a personal style, but is it ethical for a computer?"

Likewise, I don't see the big deal about the fact that it functions to get the algorithms to hew to a specific style by entering the name of a specific artist (along with specific genres or even ancillary keywords like "photoreal" or "DeviantArt"); Can you imagine if an actor's response to hearing of a director saying, "I want a Ricardo Montalbon-type for this character," was "Congress needs to make a law preventing this, because anyone looking for that should be hiring me, Ricardo Montalbon"?

Don't know if you watched the vid Michael linked to, but we're already seeing a glut of AI imagery. One of the best points made is that there's really no difference between not doing art and not getting your image seen because it's drowned in a veritable ocean of easily created images by anyone with a computer and some time to kill. You're already seeing this on DA where there's a ton of AI images. One of the easiest ways to tell if the image is AI is the utter lack of any commentary (and in many cases, not even a title) by the artist. No word on what they were feeling, what inspired them, what they were going for....nothing. Why would there be when it's absolutely effortless to bang some letters into a prompt and wait for the computer to vomit something out.

The really laughable part is seeing people generating AI images with Patreon pitches. Why would anyone send them money? They can simply get the same program and effortlessly and endlessly spew out one meaningless image after another. It's not like that's a talent (it's not)

More rec room fun based on @Jim Botaitis' 1341-foot TOS blueprints. The curved stairs from Deck 6 to Deck 7 are not in Jim's blueprints, but he suggested them in an email to me, wondering how they would look. I intentionally made them as simple as possible, making sure they maintained an 'airy' feel. I think they look great! Next on my list is to include an aquarium per another of Jim's suggestions.

Last edited:
Looks okay there. I'm not sure about the safety of curved staircases on a starship, mind you, but designers' preferences...

Back