The Official Fan Art Lounge (Off-Topic Discussion Goes Here)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Michael, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Using the crewmen and doors I scaled it out to 1,420'6" feet long.
    This gives 10' high ceilings and 21'6" long shuttles.
    All measurements are approximate of course ;)

@Toddard this is a fantastic project, I can't believe I've just stumbled across it now! :eek:
    It's so great to see the art of @Jim Botaitis brought to life even more than the original deck plans.

Henoch, scifieric, Toddard and 5 others like this.
  2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just because the nacelle dimension coincidentally matches the TMOST Enterprise nacelle dimension doesn't make the rest the same. This "Pre-Disco Enterprise" variant displayed in Discovery S2E1 works out to an overall length of ~280m, width of ~117m and height of ~56m. She's smaller than the TMOST Enterprise.

Perhaps it was more than a coincidence that Stamets was obscuring the other dimensions? :)

[​IMG]

So in the Disco/SNW grouping we have these Enterprise versions:
    Pre-Disco Enterprise - shown on display with straight nacelle struts - 280m
    Disco Enterprise - swept-back nacelle struts ???m
    SNW Enterprise - swept-back nacelle struts with added windows on forward saucer edge - 442m?

Discovery is just continuing the tradition of displaying a variant of the Enterprise on the computer screen which is different than the current Enterprise is in the episode. This was done in "The Enterprise Incident", "The Motion Picture", "The Search for Spock", etc. :D YMMV

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I say just go with what works and fits the geometry we see onscreen, which is exactly what Jim and Toddard are doing. Until, that is, one of our heroes actually utters dialogue along the lines of “well after all, everyone knows the Enterprise is 288.65 meters long!” :mallory:

scifieric, danellis and blssdwlf like this.
  4. blssdwlf

Exactly. No TOS episode has said or shown the dimensions of Kirk's TOS Enterprise. :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Donald G and scifieric like this.
  5. Mytran

No doubt a security feature, to stop classified information from being obtained by whatever entity is trying to take over the ship that week :devil:

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

If the saucer/secondary hull combo was 947 ft., what would the length be with nacelles?

7. Mytran

Using the Casimiro orthos, I came up with an overall length of 1,315 feet if the combo hull was 947'

blssdwlf and publiusr like this.
  8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Even so, I’ve notice that the Halo rings from the Halo video games were retconned with a new design with a wider band a long time ago, but every official book and reference still uses the same figures calculated from the original, skinny model made for the first game.

9. blssdwlf

It is very clever! That's why the Romulans didn't settle for copying schematics in "The Enterprise Incident" and patiently wanted to get the physical Enterprise as the schematics would've been out-of-date/inaccurate ;)

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Thank you for that.
    Very close to the JBOT prints here.

Now, I bet you could get Shaw’s AMT Enterprise to come out to 947…with the bridge rotated a few degrees.

http://www.shawcomputing.net/racerx/trek_stuff/models/AMT_1966_project/1966_amt_enterprise.jpg
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/treknographics101/plans-of-the-amt-18-inch-enterprise-t64-s80.html

On the production-finished 11 footer, the bridge is tiny compared to the rest of the saucer. The AMT is very like FJ’s Constitution in that the bridge seems larger in relation to the saucer…just eyeballing.

So my ideal retcon chart would have NCC-1000s as the Conestoga class (AMT) with FJ’s booklet as Achernar upgrade…and the JBOT being “as built” something…

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  11. Mytran

But even closer to the @gmd3d Enterprise. Astonishing coincidence!
    I just want to add how much I really loved stumbling across your designs a few years ago. Based on the visuals in the episodes, a larger Enterprise has always made more sense to me and now I could see fully realised designs of what that might look like taken even further!

12. gmd3d

gmd3d Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you @Mytran, I really appreciate your comment.

publiusr likes this.
  13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  14. caveat_imperator

caveat_imperator Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hard to believe I made that nine years ago.

publiusr likes this.
  16. caveat_imperator

caveat_imperator Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's still a great design, I think.

17. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Hard to imagine…

19. blssdwlf

My memory is foggy from that time but was it you, Masao or Forbin that came up with the flight deck extending from the B-C deck of the saucer?

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Masao had the drawing on his Starfleet Museum websire. I saw it and fleshed it out (he still called it a Saladin-class destroyer). I called it the Masao class in recognition of his initial drawing. Then Forbin made a kitbash of it.

publiusr, DEWLine and blssdwlf like this.