The Official Fan Art Lounge (Off-Topic Discussion Goes Here)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Michael, Jun 1, 2020.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I saw a good TOS photoshop of the concept some time ago--right down to the grain.

2. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

I admit I was very much out of the loop when it came to AI art, and all it's implications, until it was brought up on this forum and in the Star Trek AI art thread. And not wanting to disrupt that thread any further, I thought I'd post this news here instead.

A few days after anouncing that the latest update to Clip Studio Paint would incorporate an experimental AI image generator, the developers have pulled the feature after receiving negative feedback.

https://www.clipstudio.net/en/news/202211/29_01/

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Okay, one small bit of good news. But I feel like we’ve dug a small trench with a bucket on the beach of an ocean. That tide is going to come in, regardless of measures like this.

4. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a bit depressing to think about :(

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I hate to be a contrarian, but I'm not that down on AI art. It seems to me it's going to be far more likely to turn out to be a labor-saving device than the end of human expression (or even remunerative human expression). I'm hopeful its the first step to the sort of things we've seen in Star Trek or Blade Runner 2049, where a single person create elaborate movies or interactive stories with the same scale of effort someone today would apply towards a novel, as opposed to the hundreds or thousands of person-years of work needed to make even a midlevel film or video game.

Like, I sympathize with the moral argument of artists having their work fed into machine-learning algorithms without their consent but I don't see how introducing a computer into the equation makes it different from any other form of pastiche. That whole idea seems to be the inverse of the critique I've heard of companies like Uber and other "disruptive" internet services, which is basically that they boil down to, "Sure, it's illegal to [operate an unlicensed taxi cab company], but is it illegal to do it with a computer?" Indeed, for human people, emulating the styles of other artists is something they tell you to do in art classes. "Sure, it's ethical to be influenced by the works of others when developing a personal style, but is it ethical for a computer?"

Likewise, I don't see the big deal about the fact that it functions to get the algorithms to hew to a specific style by entering the name of a specific artist (along with specific genres or even ancillary keywords like "photoreal" or "DeviantArt"); Can you imagine if an actor's response to hearing of a director saying, "I want a Ricardo Montalbon-type for this character," was "Congress needs to make a law preventing this, because anyone looking for that should be hiring me, Ricardo Montalbon"?

Gepard likes this.
  6. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Don't know if you watched the vid Michael linked to, but we're already seeing a glut of AI imagery. One of the best points made is that there's really no difference between not doing art and not getting your image seen because it's drowned in a veritable ocean of easily created images by anyone with a computer and some time to kill. You're already seeing this on DA where there's a ton of AI images. One of the easiest ways to tell if the image is AI is the utter lack of any commentary (and in many cases, not even a title) by the artist. No word on what they were feeling, what inspired them, what they were going for....nothing. Why would there be when it's absolutely effortless to bang some letters into a prompt and wait for the computer to vomit something out.

The really laughable part is seeing people generating AI images with Patreon pitches. Why would anyone send them money? They can simply get the same program and effortlessly and endlessly spew out one meaningless image after another. It's not like that's a talent (it's not)

7. Toddard

Toddard Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

More rec room fun based on @Jim Botaitis' 1341-foot TOS blueprints. The curved stairs from Deck 6 to Deck 7 are not in Jim's blueprints, but he suggested them in an email to me, wondering how they would look. I intentionally made them as simple as possible, making sure they maintained an 'airy' feel. I think they look great! Next on my list is to include an aquarium per another of Jim's suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Henoch, ashleytinger, DEWLine and 4 others like this.
  8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks okay there. I'm not sure about the safety of curved staircases on a starship, mind you, but designers' preferences...

9. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On a ship which has knee height "hand" rails, a curved staircase is almost health & safety overload! :biggrin:

Toddard, publiusr and blssdwlf like this.
  10. Toddard

Toddard Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Added an aquarium!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023